GLaDOS Joins Dota 2 as Announcer Next Week

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
GLaDOS Joins Dota 2 as Announcer Next Week

Monday's First Blood Update brings the iconic antagonist into Valve's latest game

Valve and MOBA fans who haven't yet tried out Dota 2 may find extra incentive at the start of next week when a new update casts Aperture Science's maniacal overseer as a new announcer for the game. The First Blood Update launches Sept. 23 and features, among other additions, a voice pack that can be purchased through the in-game store that has GLaDOS herself giving a play-by-play of each match. A price wasn't listed, but other announcers for sale in-game, which include Half-Life 2's Dr. Kleiner and Bastion's narrator, Rucks, run between $8 and $12.

Sold separately will be the Portal Pack, which includes a new HUD and other aesthetic changes themed after the acclaimed puzzler. Other, non-Portal related content for the First Blood Update includes support for up to 10 local area network players and a "Captain's Draft" mode where teams assemble their group from a pool of randomized characters, taking turns banning certain heroes from play. The Backpack feature has also been replaced with a new one called the Armory, which promises to be easier to navigate.

A wide variety of gameplay tweaks can also be seen at the game's official site <a href=http://www.dota2.com/firstblood>here. Dota 2 left beta <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125835-Dota-2-Finally-Out-of-Beta>earlier this year and is currently free to play on Steam.

Source: <a href=http://www.dota2.com/firstblood>Dota 2 via <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/20/glados-becomes-a-dota-2-announcer-on-monday?abthid=523c8c02f6fa430d49000003>IGN.

Dec 14, 2009
I gotta say, that's gonna be really hard to resist not buying :D

Who doesn't want the dulcet tones of GLaDOS gently mocking your inability to protect you bottom 'racks?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I gotta say, that's gonna be really hard to resist not buying :D

Who doesn't want the dulcet tones of GLaDOS gently mocking your inability to protect you bottom 'racks?
I don't play DOTA2, but I'm 80% sure that the Bastion Narrator is one of the other Announcers you can get. That alone would give her some pretty hefty competition.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Im not to sure about buying the pack, but I sure as hell will be looking for it when I get into games. Maybe after a little taste of her Ill buy it. Right now I have the Pyrion Flax pack... and ol middly widdly would be missed.

But if anyone is interested about the Glados pack..

But yeah, this update should be nice. No more fountain hooks, some nice gameplay tweaks, and some nice neutral creep visuals :)

Oh, and if anyone wants to know the fully update...

http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2013/09/dota-2-19th-september-2/

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
There's also the Trine announcer coming soon (preview [https://soundcloud.com/kaifb/sets/trine-announcer-for-dota-2-1]). Those two plus the one Glados which someones already linked the preview to above all seem to be exactly the nice calm tone I enjoy from announcers.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I was a little let down when I realized this was a DLC/microtransaction, but this is still pretty cool (anyway, you know... F2P games. Long as they're only selling cosmetics, it's all good). I've yet to get into DOTA 2 proper because of my unreliable connection (so die, bastard A.I. bots, DIE!), so this may convince me to pay a little more attention to it.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Infernal Lawyer said:
I was a little let down when I realized this was a DLC/microtransaction, but this is still pretty cool (anyway, you know... F2P games. Long as they're only selling cosmetics, it's all good). I've yet to get into DOTA 2 proper because of my unreliable connection (so die, bastard A.I. bots, DIE!), so this may convince me to pay a little more attention to it.
All of DotA extras are cosmetics, so thats no problem. Its pretty freaking awesome. You can also gain like 95% of things just from playing games.

Also, the announcer packs and HUDs are nice. If someone in your game has them equipped, anyone in the game can use them.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
MIGHTY NEED.

Goddamn valve stop, I need that money.

...For chocolate...

And...stuff.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I thought it was a playable glados champion....

Making her the announcer is cool, but not AS cool

Paulo Belato

May 26, 2012
thethird0611 said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
All of DotA extras are cosmetics, so thats no problem. Its pretty freaking awesome. You can also gain like 95% of things just from playing games.
Unfortunately, they will be changing that, it seems. They will update the economic part of the game by removing items from the drop rotation and from the store, to be only acquired by buying from other player on the Market. That's the only thing I hate about Valve's F2P games, that they stop items from droping, or remove them from the store, just so that they become more valuable in the trader's market, no other reason.

Anyway, I will be buying this announcer pack as soon as it is up on the store.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
So far, I've only ever bought a compendium and an Alliance pennant. Time to make purchase #3.

We shall see how can and cannot perform well under extreme pessimism.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Now if only we could have a mod where the different announcers could be put on the same time and do casual banter at each-other... Rucks and GLADOS announcer showdown.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Paulo Belato said:
Unfortunately, they will be changing that, it seems. They will update the economic part of the game by removing items from the drop rotation and from the store, to be only acquired by buying from other player on the Market. That's the only thing I hate about Valve's F2P games, that they stop items from droping, or remove them from the store, just so that they become more valuable in the trader's market, no other reason.
Does it matter, though? Oh noes, you can't buy (cheaply) a dozen hats out of hundreds anymore! It's not like you have to collect them all or anything. And it does make perfect sense to increase the value of unpopular items this way.

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
For those interested in a GLaDOS announcer pack, note that if you vote up on this link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174848559, Gordon Freeman will be joining her.

ReleGamer

Sep 24, 2013
Man! Valve really knows how to pull of free-to-play! Great incentives to purchase whilst leaving the gameplay intact. Now if only i was any good at the game! Hopefully she is better written than in Poker Night 2 though. The voice isnt everything...she needs to have her personality on point.