GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
I'm not sure this was really needed. All I needed to know about GlaDOS was that she was an evil computer with a wicked sense of humor. I'm always afraid when I find an awesome character in a game and then see the developers start adding things to round our the character.

It's like Jack from Mass Effect 2. My first impression was "Badass Biker Chick with No Shirt and Biotics" and then she was a tortured child, then emotionally unstable (and not in the cool psychopathic way), then she fell in love with you, then she was angry when you picked Tali instead and goes all passive-aggressive and by the end I'm tempted to let her die in the final mission so I don't have to deal with her in Mass Effect 3. Less is more sometimes.

What was I talking about...? Oh yeah, GLaDOS origin; great for those of you who want to know, but I think I'll skip and keep GLaDOS perfect in my mind.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
That was KICKASS! Awesome. It's pretty sad that my friend, who is also a major Portal fan(that's all he has played these past weeks), won't understand it. He has MAJOR issues with understanding timelines. He just doesn't understand stuff if it isn't crystal clear. He asked me why Jensen got wings in the Human Revolution trailer for example. I've prepared a facepalm for when he asks me what's going on in this comic.

Klitch said:
You don't have to worry about that. The comic tells you that she has always been a evil computer with wicked sense of humor. There's nothing added to her to make you think differently of her, so you owe it to yourself to read her new one-liners.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Well I know I just read all 27 pages of the comic, but I can't remember a single thing about what I just read except having a vague feeling of "well this doesn't really explain anything".

It's a little too abstract and incoherent to be informative.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
I thought that was pretty cool. What would be even cooler would be if you could find him sleeping in that pod thing during the second game and talk to him. He'll probably end up dieing though, just has that look about him.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Direwolf750 said:
Mahorfeus said:
The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?
One of GLsDOS's last lines is "there really was a caaaaakkkeeeeee*static*", and the idea behind it was that the Ratman knew that the promised cake was actually death, so he was leaving you a message. Doesn't sound like mere chance to me.
It is amazing how the writers made the 'cake is a lie' that clever.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I am tempted to get this but then I remember that Portal was about NOT knowing much about your environment. I am not reading a single thing about Portal 2 just as I didn't with 1.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
IvoryTowerGamer said:
Anyone else think it's interesting that GLaDOS is alive in the comic (IE after we kill her in Portal 1 and before we reactivate her in Portal 2)?

This could be regarded as a mistake, but with all the comic's themes of perception vs reality I wouldn't be surprised if it has some bearing on the plot of Portal 2.
Still alive [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI]?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
"Remember, science rhymes with compliance. You know what doesn't rhyme with compliance? Neurotoxin."

That line as well as GLaDOS talking about schrodinger's cat made me lol so much, I can't wait for Portal 2!!

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I merely saw the words "still alive" and I got a huge stupid grin on my face. Oh Portal, you so crazy.

Chocolate Source

Jul 17, 2008
So incredibly awesome. The Glados lines were gold as always,
Liked the Schrodinger metaphor when she got put to sleep, 'both alive and dead until someone opens the box' -ie Portal 2 times!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
It looks really good& can't wait for the game but my fav bit was the quote giving us a look at GLaDOS before she was evil

-M

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I played portal last year way after all the hype. In my opinion it isn't so much a game as a tech demo.

I think I completed it in about 2 hours of total play time, maybe 3 hours if you count deaths.

There were exactly 2 enemies in the game...turrets who you could defeat by BUMPING INTO THEM. And the rocket arm which wasn't so much an enemy as a game mechanic.

The whole boss fight just felt stupid. Hey dummy AI...if you just STOPPED firing rockets you would win!

And I think I'm the only one who found the computer mostly obnoxious and only slightly funny. It didn't feel like an enemy without the dripping contempt of SHODAN.