GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Latinidiot said:
tyriless said:
I liked the art and the references to Schrodinger's Cat, but I am annoyed that it explains how Chell winds back in Aperture Science. I would of preferred imagining it myself rather than Lab Rat Machina (or Deus Ex Lab Rat, whatever). Ah, I guess when you pit your own expectations against someone's else imagination you are bound to be disappointed.
THat would make 'Ratman Ex Machina'.
Does anyone of you know, incidentally, where the term 'deus ex machina' comes from? I do.
-raises hand- The term began with Greek (or Roman? I honestly forget, it's been a while since I read the origin of the phrease) plays, when the protagonist was in a situation they couldn't escape from in any conceivable way. They were then rescued by some fantastic contraption that was supposed to be one of the gods, or 'the god from the machine'. It has since been used to describe any implausible, or downright impossible asspull on the part of the writer(s) to save a character from certain doom, and incorrectly used to describe any unlikely but still reasonable situation that saves a character, the latter applying to the Lab Rat situation.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Dr. Paine said:
Latinidiot said:
tyriless said:
I liked the art and the references to Schrodinger's Cat, but I am annoyed that it explains how Chell winds back in Aperture Science. I would of preferred imagining it myself rather than Lab Rat Machina (or Deus Ex Lab Rat, whatever). Ah, I guess when you pit your own expectations against someone's else imagination you are bound to be disappointed.
Does anyone of you know, incidentally, where the term 'deus ex machina' comes from? I do.
-raises hand- The term began with Greek (or Roman? I honestly forget, it's been a while since I read the origin of the phrease) plays, when the protagonist was in a situation they couldn't escape from in any conceivable way. They were then rescued by some fantastic contraption that was supposed to be one of the gods, or 'the god from the machine'. It has since been used to describe any implausible, or downright impossible asspull on the part of the writer(s) to save a character from certain doom, and incorrectly used to describe any unlikely but still reasonable situation that saves a character, the latter applying to the Lab Rat situation.
The lad's right. You should all pay more attention. In the meanwhile, here's 23.5 internets, no more, no less.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Latinidiot said:
Dr. Paine said:
Latinidiot said:
tyriless said:
The lad's right. You should all pay more attention. In the meanwhile, here's 23.5 internets, no more, no less.
Thanks ^^ Here's the TV Trope page for more examples: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina (Say goodbye to the rest of your day, folks! And hey, it's fun to explain the origin of things.)

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Damn, this writing is spot-on. The tone is great. I'm reading every one of GLaDOS's lines in her lilting, autotuned voice, and the new character is actually extremely interesting. Now I want him to show up in Portal 2.

And I love how the origin of GLaDOS' love of neurotoxin is the Schroedinger experiment.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
dfcrackhead said:
If you replyed Portal recently you'd have noticed that when VALVe announced the sequel, they went and patched the ending to Portal and changed it a bit. now when you're outside and GlaDOS has exploded it shows that you are being dragged off somewhere by something.
I have not played portal since it first came out.

Hooray for retcons and lack of creativity!

Wow... this might actually be the first time the ending of a game has been retconned to fit with a sequel.

I'm not sure I like where this is going.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
beema said:
dfcrackhead said:
If you replyed Portal recently you'd have noticed that when VALVe announced the sequel, they went and patched the ending to Portal and changed it a bit. now when you're outside and GlaDOS has exploded it shows that you are being dragged off somewhere by something.
I have not played portal since it first came out.

Hooray for retcons and lack of creativity!

Wow... this might actually be the first time the ending of a game has been retconned to fit with a sequel.

I'm not sure I like where this is going.
It was more of an extension than a retcon. Originally it was just a fade to black after waking up outside. Now, you wake up and then it shows you being dragged off somewhere for a party.

thestonehill

May 12, 2009
VZLANemesis said:
thestonehill said:
Mahorfeus said:
The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?
The cake is a lie seems to be what the conclusion of the previous players of portal came to and someone merely coined the phrase, since test chamber 18 promises cake but never delivers. Seems that even during construction, GLaDOS was unstable makes you wonder who the hell programed her in the first place and why the laws of robotics wherent implemented into her A.I. Hinsight is a wonderful thing but then again portal would have ended before it began if someone would have said how about we dont give her access to neotoxin since "she's" tried to kill us in the past. I look forward to the sequeal.
No, it was written in a wall. Literally.

Edit: did nobody else notice the IGN watermark on every single picture?

Oh fuck so it is forgot about that whoops

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Awesome.

A lot of franchises have attempted to make expanded-universe stuff that ties in with the plot, and it's pretty forced, but this way was done very naturally...

It kind of glossed over the backstories of major characters in the game, but also fleshed them out a great deal...while I liked the Ratman's little intermittent dens of sanctity, he also kind of creeped me out the way he obsessed over the Companion Cube and his paranoia of GlaDOS's ever watchful gaze...

This helps put in context seeing as how he was there the day she turned on them all, and the way the little Cube just glows in a warm little pink light and hovers over his back, chiming in helpful little bits of advice is just charming.

Glad the Cube finally became a character (with dialog and motives of its own) in its own right.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Fronzel said:
I don't really like the idea of another human running around alive while Portal is going on. The sense of isolation and alienation in that game were great. Turns out somebody had Chell's back the whole time? No thanks.

Also, Chell comes off too pretty-looking here. She even looks to be wearing lipstick in some panels.
I don't think he "had her back" in any sense of the word. He simply changed the test order because, of all the subjects available, he suspected she would be the one to succeed.