GLaDOS Powers Up for Portal 2, Steals Potato Chips

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
PAGEToap44 said:
Aaaaargh..I'm confused. When do us Brits get the game then?
Not until Thursday for a Europe release apparently :(
4 hours and 51 minutes (as of now anyway) for Steam, just like everyone else.

So far its about 8 hours ahead, meaning I can play it all day (Easter holidays FTW).
dragongit said:
I hope to god there are no Last minute errors, even with the early launch. Like "were sorry, the steam servers have been over loaded, please try back in 6 hours". But damn it Valve if you don't make us all interested!
Most people would have pre-loaded the game by now.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Why would anyone want to taint something nice like portal with half life? :/

water_cat1

Mar 30, 2010
Here is a crazy idea:

Portal 1 was the testing of the idea for portals
Portal 2 was the refinement of this idea due to the popularity
HL2 EP3 has been delayed way too long, after portal 2.
Speculation: portal gun in HL2 EP3 or some other tie in.

Bloodyfish

Aug 5, 2009
Da_Schwartz said:
This is crazy. lol listen to you people! I mean i dig portal just as much as the next guy..well maybe not as much as some of you but i mean...This is just an advertisment. They got a whole bunch of people to pay 40 bucks for a bunch of games chances are they wouldn't of bought if they didn't have potatoes. Think about that. The build up and all and hints, and countdowns don't get me wrong...well played valve well played. But i don't understand how anyone would "fall" for it and "buy" (sry no pun intended) into all of this instead of doing what i did. Check the website, route for all the suckers and hope that the game comes out early. Even if they did complete the boot process the game would of been released a few hours early at what 3 am? Sorry. I can wait a few hours, and use my 40 bucks to actually buy PORTAL.
Valve helped a number of genuinely fun indie games reach players at a 75% discount... I see nothing wrong with this.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
John Funk said:

Valve's Portal 2 ARG is almost at an end, and potato chips are disappearing at an alarming rate. And just what is the Half-Life G-Man doing here?

Gamers worldwide tried their damnedest to unlock Portal 2 early [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109286-Valve-ARG-Gives-Fans-Power-to-Release-Portal-2-Early], but alas, it seems like our efforts will come to naught, leaving everyone with nothing but a bunch of excellent indie titles obtained at a rather impressive discount. A shame, really.

So, that's it. We're not getting Portal 2 early after all, so -
You're actually wrong, we finished a bunch of the computations for games which gives us guaranteed time reductions. The default boot finishes in 11 hours, but with the finished games it will launch in 4 hours. We didn't have to finish them all, we still unlock it early. No offence John, but maybe you should've read the wiki before putting this up.

http://valvearg.com/wiki/GLaDOS@Home

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

Valve's Portal 2 ARG is almost at an end, and potato chips are disappearing at an alarming rate. And just what is the Half-Life G-Man doing here?

Gamers worldwide tried their damnedest to unlock Portal 2 early [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109286-Valve-ARG-Gives-Fans-Power-to-Release-Portal-2-Early], but alas, it seems like our efforts will come to naught, leaving everyone with nothing but a bunch of excellent indie titles obtained at a rather impressive discount. A shame, really.

You're actually wrong, we finished a bunch of the computations for games which gives us guaranteed time reductions. The default boot finishes in 11 hours, but with the finished games it will launch in 4 hours. We didn't have to finish them all, we still unlock it early. No offence John, but maybe you should've read the wiki before putting this up.

And as I said before, that first part was misdirecting humor, because the rest of the post should give it away that I know we're getting it early :p

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
John Funk said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

And as I said before, that first part was misdirecting humor, because the rest of the post should give it away that I know we're getting it early :p
Oh, my sincerest apologies there.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
It also says there are NINE active test subjects....and the game isnt even released yet

[HEADING=1]WHAT IS GOING ON[/HEADING]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So it's currently 10:42 EST, the count down has 3 hours and 28 minutes to go. Considering that the steam store says that Portal 2 unlocks in 13 hours, I would still say it's early.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
It now says 54 test subjects and:

20:00 - Preliminary lethality assessment complete
20:00 - Results inconclusive
20:00 - Expanding candidate pool

Once Killing Floor is done, everything will go much quicker.

Edit: Woops, now it's 63 (just refreshed).

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

Notably, it seems like you thought it was still the same date because at the time of writing, it was slated to be released midnight in US and 7AM UK, which is still the same date as before.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
The nine 'test subjects' are nine of the main ARG participants from the beginning of the event. Their diligence, and central location, has earned them access to 'test' Portal2 at Valve's offices. A good deal of the ARG was centered in Seattle, meaning that the main respondents would be Seattle residents, and therefore close to Valve's main offices.

A small part of me seethes at missing this oppotunity, simply because of geography, but the rest of me beams at the idea that a developer (and their marketing team) can come up with such an ingenious and engaging plan to, not only draw attention, but also impact the sales of several 'indie'* developers. I, for one, did not get drawn in by the Potato Sack 75%-off sale (only 3 or 4 games realy interrested me, overall), but I know that they surely had more than a few purchasers because of this stunt.

I'm pretty sure that the Steam release of Portal2 has been refined and essentially set for release more than a few days, so having the release time be shortened by ~10 hours has no real impact on Valve or their servers. Actually, I would expect that they were ready for a 12 hour cut, but maybe didn't expect more than 8 hours to be taken off of the original release time. Only through massive community cooperation to clear games off of the list(required "CPU Calculations" appear based on total game sales, not merely some arbitrary round number, hense the popular titles have required more players logged in and playing to further the bar's movement) has so much progress been made.

*: For me, the term "indie" has lost it's luster. They are all "developers", some are corporate-based, some are not. Just because you are one, or the other, does not bestow any special place in my judgement. The game is either to my liking, or not. Within my playstyle, or not. AAA; Indie... what does it matter, if I don't want to play it?

Captcha: from tertY
It must be true, if tertY says it, right? Heheheh.

Edit: Addendum
Currently shows 82 Test Subject online... and ~1hr left until reboot.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Baneat said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

Notably, it seems like you thought it was still the same date because at the time of writing, it was slated to be released midnight in US and 7AM UK, which is still the same date as before.
Huh? Check the GLaDOS@Home site, we're currently saving like 9 and a half hours.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Baneat said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

Huh? Check the GLaDOS@Home site, we're currently saving like 9 and a half hours.
Doesn't make a difference to UK players, unless they're in the crazy minority that was ill the day before and woke up at 4AM (Me)

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
We're currently at 88 test subjects, and the countdown has ONE MORE HOUR.

Color me excited, but I think we're about to see the birth of the greatest psychological terrorists ever, and their name is Valve employees.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Seriously though, they've literally got the whole of the gaming community eating out of their hand.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
EDIT: Now at 97 ATS's!!!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Baneat said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Baneat said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
John Funk said:

Doesn't make a difference to UK players, unless they're in the crazy minority that was ill the day before and woke up at 4AM (Me)
Well, there is this website [http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk/portal/alarm.php] specifically made to start an alarm once Portal unlocks.

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
Holy crap!!! There just was a huge jump from 97 Test Subjects to 351 to 707 to 1,119, and most recently to 1,443! Guys, get to playing Defense Grid, that game's CPU bars is almost filled. Afterwards, get to Amnesia, but don't forget!!! (Get it, it's a pun?)