GLaDOS Prepares Countdown for Portal 2 ARG's "Final Test"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GLaDOS Prepares Countdown for Portal 2 ARG's "Final Test"

It looks like the Portal 2 ARG is coming to an end with a final test from GLaDOS.

The alternate reality game (ARG) Valve has been running to prepare gamers for the release of Portal-themed levels [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302880354&sr=8-1] hacked into Steam's Potato Sack 13-game bundle. GLaDOS isn't done with us yet, as a website has appeared that teases a "final test."

The site, found here [http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/], features a countdown clock and some text that could only be from GLaDOS, Portal's sentient AI hellbent on tormenting and killing her test subjects. "You have done well, humans," she says, likely referring to the ARG.

GLaDOS points out that robots probably could have done better, but is still impressed with the skills displayed by those that solved the ARG's mysteries. She continues: "The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed."

As of this writing, the countdown clock has less than an hour left. Pieces of the ARG are leading people to believe that Portal 2 may be released early, likely on Steam, when the clock's time runs out. Another theory predicts some kind of Portal 2 prelude. Only GLaDOS (and Valve) knows what this final test will be, but we'll let you know as soon as it's revealed. Until then, why not read the Portal 2 comic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109178-GLaDOS-Origin-Story-Told-in-Full-Portal-2-Comic] to prepare?

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
I'm guessing it's Skynet. After all, Portal 2 ships out when skynet goes online.

SoloStoffe

Apr 2, 2010
I'm guessing GLaDOS hacks in to every computer connected to the countdown site when the countdown is over, and then proceed to take over the world.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
What she's said is really making me think now. Starting to think it WON'T be a Half Life 2 Episode 3 reveal like I was hoping...but if Portal 2 is released early in the UK, I WILL BE SO HAPPY!

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
SoloStoffe said:
I'm guessing GLaDOS hacks in to every computer connected to the countdown site when the countdown is over, and then proceed to take over the world.
Hey, I said that yesterday :D At least we're prepared for our coming robot overlord.

Thunderios

Jun 9, 2010
But what about Valve time? They can't release earlier!
On the other hand. I'd prefer having Portal 2 now over them keeping to their schedules.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I've been following this most of the night (yay slow day at work), and I recall from the ARG Wiki [http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki] (which has exploded....) That they got a new message. Something about Hell in 2 hours, something else happening in 2 hours, and It will be Tuesday in 2 hours. And for those that may need an extra cup of coffee still, Portal releases Tuesday. Or in 2hrs? (as of the message, refering to the time on the clock which is now ~19 min)

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Less than 20 minutes to go! Make your way to the bomb shelters and load your guns. Our new robot overlords will soon be here :D

(I'm gonna need some buffalo wings for this)

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Less than 20 minutes to go! Make your way to the bomb shelters and load your guns. Our new robot overlords will soon be here :D
13 minutes and counting, arm the EMP devices and hand out the magnetic weapons to our forces.

Gentlemen (and ladies) I have no need to remind you of the oaths you swore. Do your duty.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
13 more minutes, whooo, exciting!
But I bet those clever AI's are already doing whatever it is they have schemed up!
This whole countdown is just a devilish diversion!

^^ Technology rules ^^

Xelt

May 11, 2008
10 minutes to go! Hopefully it'll be something good. Everythign else is on hold.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
If you change your computer clock it will also make the timer clock change itself.

Edit; If you update the page, it set itself back to what it was.