GLaDOS' Real-Life Counterpart Sings "Want You Gone" from Portal 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GLaDOS' Real-Life Counterpart Sings "Want You Gone" from Portal 2

Homicidal AI construct GLaDOS may be in a fleshier, more human body than she normally is, but she can still carry a tune.

*SPOILER ALERT: This news post contains SPOILERS for the ending of Portal 2!*

When all was said, at the end of Portal 2, beloved antagonist GLaDOS and protagonist Chell reached a truce, if not quite an understanding. The AI had spent so much time in the game (and the previous one) trying to kill her that by this point, she was just fed up with it. So, she said: Get out. Leave, vamoose, make like a tree - and she punctuated it with a song.

The video you see here to the right is Ellen McLain - whose voice is best known to gamers as that of GLaDOS herself - and her husband performing at Anime Midwest 2011. McLain sings "Want You Gone," the ending song to Portal 2, and is accompanied by her husband on the banjo.

I'm going to be honest here. It doesn't sound quite right to hear her voice without the artificial computer tint to it, but this is still a really cute performance and it's fun to hear GLaDOS' voice coming out of a real live human.

And is it just me, or is her husband eerily reminiscent of Cave Johnson?

Bananahs

Nov 18, 2009
The guy on guitar is Joseph Patrick Lowrie, McLain's hubs AND the Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

Yes.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Woaw! Cool!
Where and when was this?
I've been waiting for JoCo's version for a long time, but this is nice as well. Didn't know GLaDOS was so old.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
That's kinda weird. I think I agree with the OP, it sounds a little strange without the artificial element. But hey, I do love a banjo!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Bananahs said:
The guy on guitar is Joseph Patrick Lowrie, McLain's hubs AND the Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

Yes.
And this is officially the coolest thing ever. The Sniper is married to GLaDOS. The World needs to know.

danielns13

May 21, 2011
This is awesome! Though is it just me or is the timing a bit different from the GlaDOS version?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
Bananahs said:

Yes.
And this is officially the coolest thing ever. The Sniper is married to GLaDOS. The World needs to know.
Yeah. You'd think it'd be Engie who was married to the computer. *brick'd for bad joke*

OT: I do agree that she doesn't sound as good without the artificial tone, but she's an opera singer. Cara mia was beautiful. Also, yeah, Joseph does sound like Cave! Kinda makes me wonder why they roped in J.K. Simmons. I mean I like him lots, but if Joseph already sounds like him, then why spend the extra money? Marketing?

Apr 28, 2008
Grey_Focks said:
Bananahs said:

Yes.

McLain also does the voice of the Overseer(announcer) in TF2.

The plot thickens!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This live performance is so much more enjoyable than the in-game auto-tuned version. I've had that video playing four times in the last half hour or so.

Still Alive, on the other hand, sounds much better in its original auto-tuned form. And not just because Ellen got the lyrics wrong here and there when she did it live. ;)

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Irridium said:
Grey_Focks said:
Bananahs said:

Yes.

The plot thickens!
And it thickens more, she's the voice of the Overwatch in Half-Life 2.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Love it. And it's particularly awesome that they (possibly...?) based Cave Johnson's appearance off McLain's husband. Who is awesome in his own right. Banjo-playingly, sniper-voicingly awesome.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
dommyuk said:
Irridium said:
Grey_Focks said:
Bananahs said:

Yes.

The plot thickens!
And it thickens more, she's the voice of the Overwatch in Half-Life 2.
While Lowrie is all the male citizens.

By god, it's as thick as jello by this point.

Also, I like how she sings a ballad like an opera singer. It's cute.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Irridium said:
Grey_Focks said:
Bananahs said:

Yes.

The plot thickens!
And the Overwatch voice in HL2. In fact, she's the only voice actor to have roles in all the Orange Box games (why do I know that?)
OT: How soon can I buy this on iTunes?