Glee Airs Performance of Jonathan Coulton's "Baby Got Back"

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Just wait 'till the next episode where they show a speck more creativity and sing "Re: Your music" in relation to a rival school (Who are of course rich posh and bastards, and have created their own song and then - *gasp!* - refusing to let Glee sing it! And then when Glee says they will anyway, they start talking about SUING THEM! THE BASTARDS!) including lyrics such as:

"All we wanna do is use your songs!
And furthermore, you twats, we'll just ignore any outcries.
All we wanna do is use your songs!
We're at an impasse here; Maybe we could compromise."

And then the rich posh bastard people realize the error of their ways in wanting their own creations to not be used without permission with only very minor changes to them without any credit whatsoever, But in a stunning twist, the Glee people decide to credit them anyway, stating that they realized themselves that the credit is the least they could do for the rich posh bastards who obviously didn't try AT ALL to make that stupid song they stole wholesale, and then they and the Glee club all go out and have cake! :3

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
theApoc said:
I wonder if Sir-Mixalot got his money in either case?
That's an interesting thought.

Question: I don't watch 'Glee' so I just don't know the answer. Was there a 'Sir Mix A-Lot' credit in the credits for the song? Because that may just answer it.

Even if the whole thing is legit [which I doubt with pretty much ripping his melody off and it's good JoCo is looking in to if/how much they copied,] it's just bad form to not credit JoCo. Especially considering that he, and his lawyer, contacted FOX days before. They could of easily just added a 'Adapted Form JC From SMA' credit in the credits and there would be a much less backlash.

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
GamingAwesome1 said:
fedefrasis said:
lacktheknack said:
rayen020 said:
I'm starting a movement. Torrent Episodes of GLEE, Post on youtube with the title "Be happy for the Exposure."
Make sure that you don't actually say what show it is, and censor any uses of the word "Glee".
I'm in. Let's do it
This is a fantastic plan and I love you people for coming up with it.
Good Idea! Torrent maybe... But defiantly just post 'Be happy for the Exposure' on all 'Glee' stuff. Peaceful protest :)

BlackStar42 said:
To quote Yahtzee, There is no middle finger big enough!

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
"He should be happy for the exposure" I...wow, just wow. That is probably one of the most insultingly snobbish things I've ever read. Fuck Glee.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So Coulton did his cover of their cover of his cover, now available on itunes with proceeds going to charity

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2013/01/26/baby-got-back-glee-style/

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
HardRockSamurai said:
Orange12345 said:
He should release an album where he does all the glee songs
Glee doesn't have any songs.
Actually, it does. They had a couple of original songs somewhere in season 2 but they were such insultingly stupid teenage tripe that they made Rebekka Black's Friday seem the sound of this generation :/

unless JoCo has gallons of mouthwash at hand I wouldn't recommend singing them.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Apparently JoCo is not the only artist Glee has done this too.

there's even a petition going around:
https://www.change.org/petitions/fox-media-and-glee-stop-using-the-work-of-artists-without-crediting-them#share

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Even putting my own love for Jonathan Coulton and my indifference towards Glee aside, if this is as clear cut as it ha been made out to look, this is pretty sh*tty behavior on their part.

Writing a new arrangement of an old song isn't just something you do. A cover can be a musical and artistic endeavor in its own right, and you'd expect the people behind Glee (which wouldn't exist if it wasn't for covers) to have some respect for that. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about the legal matters, but to refuse the man an acknowledgment for an arrangement that was evidently good enough to put in their TV show, that's pretty damn weak.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Starik20X6 said:
I think it's too late for that. I heard someone at school talking about Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, so I mentioned to them that I was also a Daft Punk fan. A blank stare, followed by "Who's Daft Punk? Are they the ones who ripped of Kanye West?". Then everything went black, and when I woke up I was in Mexico and wearing nothing but some torn purple shorts I have no memory of putting on.
OMG...I went looking for what you were referring. It's....I have no words. On principal I hate the whole "rapping over someone else's music" thing that mainstream music finds oh so innovative and worthy of praise, but Kanye really killed Daft Punk's music dead. *sigh*

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
shiajun said:
Starik20X6 said:
I think it's too late for that. I heard someone at school talking about Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, so I mentioned to them that I was also a Daft Punk fan. A blank stare, followed by "Who's Daft Punk? Are they the ones who ripped of Kanye West?". Then everything went black, and when I woke up I was in Mexico and wearing nothing but some torn purple shorts I have no memory of putting on.
OMG...I went looking for what you were referring. It's....I have no words. On principal I hate the whole "rapping over someone else's music" thing that mainstream music finds oh so innovative and worthy of praise, but Kanye really killed Daft Punk's music dead. *sigh*
Honestly, Kanye's version isn't that bad. There are a lot worse rap-overs in the music industry. It's no masterpiece, but it's not awful.

OT: I fully support everyone selling off unmarked Glee DVDs with the credits removed. They should be happy for the exposure...
I feel that Jaden Yukis version was pretty decent as well.

OT: This is pretty weak of Glee, but J.C. has put up a cover of their cover and is sending all the proceeds until the end of Feb to a pair of charities he is involved with. As of today, his cover of Glees cover of his cover has surpassed well and by far Glees cover of his cover on itunes and is supposed to get released on amazon and something else (forgot what) fairly soon. At least some good has come of this.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
GAunderrated said:
BlackStar42 said:
To quote Yahtzee, There is no middle finger big enough!

Does anyone know if he has any legal grounds to sue?
What review was that in again?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3801-Call-of-Juarez-The-Cartel

Around 4:15 in.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
> Using the fruits of his efforts without permission.
> Suggest he should be 'happy for the exposure.'
> Refuse to credit appropriately.

Plagiarists talking out of both sides of their mouth and being so shamelessly, condescendingly smarmy that if they were an individual I would feel inclined to mace them with the entire can.

AgentShiver

Sep 4, 2011
He's getting exposure for this little stunt all right; I learned he's the one who wrote Portal's "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone." The Glee producers are also getting exposure and now everyone knows they steal other peoples' work.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Irony
noun
1 - the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning (ex: "be happy with the exposure" while expending effort to provide no exposure)
5 - an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected (ex: providing exposure unintentionally via media coverage of fan outrage about having not provided said exposure)

Hope this ends up going in Coulton's favor in the end. Or, at the very least, not turn out well for FOX.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
Jonathan Coulton showed up at John Hodgman's live podcast on Saturday night in San Francisco. John started singing Coulton's version of "Baby Got Back" and Coulton appeared on stage behind him. Hodgman paid him a couple bucks while muttering, "He should be happy for the exposure." Needless to say, the crowd erupted. It was awesome.

EtherealBeaver

Apr 26, 2011
I dont usually post stuff like this but this is just so in-your-face insultingly arrogant by Fox Network.

Fox damns piracy - "It started of course with music. Pirated CDs, the first currency of Black Market bartering" http://youtu.be/00Tz1f29YJo?t=47s

Fox continues to pirate other peoples songs for their own shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_Lcnk6SzE - they were too lazy to even edit out the "quack" so instead they just used the track with the center sound killed.

The producers from the show, Glee, even had the audacity to respond to Jonathan Coultrons inqueries about the song "that I should be happy for the exposure (even though they do not credit me, and have not even publicly acknowledged that it?s my version ? so you know, it?s kind of SECRET exposure)"

Double standards like this is why some people hate you, Fox