Glitch Wipes Out 3000 Bioshock Infinite Preorders

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Glitch Wipes Out 3000 Bioshock Infinite Preorders

If you ordered Bioshock Infinite online from Best Buy, please double-check that your limited editions are where you left them.

According to technological trends, one day all entertainment media will be purchased using seamless and convenient online transactions. But that day isn't here yet, since a recent glitch in Best Buy's preorder system proves we still have a few bugs keeping us from an internet utopia. To summarize: several unlucky early purchasers of Bioshock Infinite received a surprise email stating that their preorder was successfully cancelled and all deposits would be refunded. If this happened to you, take heart, because at least you're not alone. Up to 3000 online customers got the bad news, many of whom rushed to Best Buy's Customer Support looking for answers.

It's not clear what caused the error, but it seems to have affected preorders for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. Even worse, the cancelled purchases extend <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120203-Ultimate-BioShock-Infinite-Edition-Includes-Statue-Hefty-Price>to Bioshock Infinite limited editions, freeing up those claimed copies for repurchase. Bioshock Infinite appears to be the only game impacted, but as always, customers should keep an eye on their inboxes to be on the safe side.

Thankfully, anyone who received an email only needs to contact Best Buy's Customer Support to quickly reprocess the order. Just make sure to double-check your spam filters, or else you might be left in the cold when your Songbird statue goes to someone else.

Source: Joystiq

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
0_0.....I was EB games..I sould be fine then right?

scared me for a second because I really wanted the statue

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
For those who paid for the limited edition this must suck, but for everyone else it's no big deal right? Full refund. So pre order it again (I'd suggest taking your business elsewhere too).

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Vault101 said:
0_0.....I was EB games..I sould be fine then right?

scared me for a second because I really wanted the statue
Don't see why you wouldn't be. If this had happened to EB Games, I can pretty much guarantee that a lot more than 3000 pre-orders would have gone. I don't think Best Buy does a particularly brisk pre-order trade, but I could be wrong. Personally, I never use 'em.

OT: So, there's a limited number of these, obviously. What happens if one of those limited editions was scooped up by someone else, before you had the chance to reprocess your order? I feel like this situation has the potential to be quite a bit more annoying for some than it already is.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
so this is my chance to snag someones cancelled limited edition off to best buy for me it really could be the bets buy [EvilLaugh]AHAHAHAHAHAHA[/EvilLaugh]

Rapidriots

Apr 3, 2012
saintdane05 said:
Can't they just show the reciept at the store as proof?
To get the standard edition of the game? Yeah it wouldn't be a problem because of the supply. But if it's the limited edition, no, because there would be more pre-orders for it than they physically have if you include the ones that get wiped out. Also, if you pre-ordered and it got wiped out, you would lose your $20 bonus certificate if you didn't pre-order it again.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
How the fuck does something like this happen?

There must have been a sabotage of some sort.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Whew...I got scared for a second there. I got my preorder at GS so I should be fine.

But for those poor people who preordered it at Best buy...dang. I'd be pissed. If they were smart, they would have cancelled the ability to preorder the Special Editions at all. I mean, as it is, they should already have those preorders closed, glitch or not. So it would be really moronic if they start taking preorders again. I'd say hold on to those SE you guys got so far and let people pick them up as long as they have the receipt or some sort of proof.

But they're not gonna. So my condolences.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
saintdane05 said:
In theory yes. The problem is those pre-order numbers haven't been sent to 2k yet for processing so there's no guarantee you'll get a copy regardless because they possibly low-ball guess how many pre-orders they actually had.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
hmmm. well look at that. finally! a good thing about not having a best buy within 3639.33 miles of you.

my preorder is at game stop so my bioshock so be fine though.
my condolences to the poor gamers who had their order deleted.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Hmmm, I smell fish. It ONLY happened to Bioshock Infinite. I suspect a hacker trolling Best Buy and customers.

Hmmm, no something does not seem right.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Not sure if this is worthy of note or not but the Gamestops in my area suffered from the same glitch. Loads of pre-orders were just gone including my pre-order of DeadSpace 3, so i ordered it off of Amazon instead, just found it strange that this happened twice in a single week.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
saintdane05 said:
No because they have it in their system that your order was cancelled and your money was refunded.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Odd, like someone restored a backup or something, I seriously doubt Best Buy had only 3000 preorders in total though.

Sorry to anyone who had this happen though, it sucks when this stuff happens.