Go 8-Bit Zombie Hunting With the Left 4 Dead "Demake"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Go 8-Bit Zombie Hunting With the Left 4 Dead "Demake"

Gamers with a taste for the retro will probably want to keep their eyes on the upcoming "demake" of Left 4 Dead [http://l4d.com/], a project that's turning Valve's multiplayer zombie shooter into an NES-style 8-bit game.

Eric Ruth, a 28-year-old indie game developer, has done a few "retro style" games in the past, but the Left 4 Dead demake is his first attempt to bring a hit title from the current generation to the classic 8-bit era. He plans to eventually produce a series of demade 8-bit games under the Pixel Force name, which will feature other contemporary games "re-envisioned" in the NES style.

Interestingly, he says the hardest part of creating the new version wasn't the code or the art: It was the music. "All of the tunes in the original game are composed with heavy string sections, some dabs of brass and an array of effects and digital choruses," he explained. "I had to try and accurately recreate those songs with 4 channels of sound: 2 square waves, a triangle wave and a noise channel, just like the NES had. In the video, you can hear these recreations on the title screen, mission screen, and the safehouse/checkpoint screen. Those songs are all recreates of Valve's original audio work."

Some aspects of the original game were removed or modified to better reflect the limited capabilities of the NES, including Versus and Survival modes and weapons like the hunting rifle, Molotov cocktail and pipe bomb, and the zombie AI was also "dumbed-down." "I did keep in a lot, but of course, changes and sacrifices needed to be made for the final product to 'work' as an NES game," Ruth said.

The Left 4 Dead demake will be released as a free download for the PC on January 4, although whether it actually makes it all the way to Joystiq [http://store.steampowered.com/], the studio is aware of the project and thinks the idea is "hilarious."

Source: Big Download [http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/16/nes-style-left-4-dead-in-development-for-pc/]

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Well, I really enjoy the TF2 demake, hopefully this will be good as well. Although it doesn't look quite as fun.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
It's still in it's early phases guys, this is just a test video. So far it looks quite good if a little dull...but once the special infected come in that should spruce things up a bit!

I wanna get this and play it with a buddy!

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Ah, how nostalgic! It makes me miss those days on the NES...Maybe I'll play some when I go home. We still have two that ought to work.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I hear they might remake this game in 2008, I think it has a lot of potential.

Seriously, awesome! I love the term "demake". I can't seem to find a download link, hopefully he releases it eventually.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Fraught said:
To be honest, compared to the real Left4Dead, it looks kind of...boring.
I'm kind of hoping this is sarcasm. The NES is literally almost 25 years old, there's only so much it could take.

Me, I found it hilarious that there was actually a shove ability, and that there were Boomers. If this had come out in 1987 gamers would've been all over it.

EDIT:

Mazty said:
Funny idea but really, really what's the point? L4D runs on archaic specs so why demake it? =S
For the lulz, primarily. Plus, really... the Source engine is pretty scalable, but I still can't see getting it to run on a 1.7 MHz processor (that's right... literally 1,790 Hz, rounding up) and 16 kilobits of video RAM.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Awww, it looks cute.

...and that's it. I have nothing else to add to this conversation for it to become a productile debate. So there ya go again: Awww, it looks cute.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
I dig it! Hilarious! I can't picture it being very fun to play but who knows? If I were Gabe Newel I'd hire him at Valve...

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
Well, I really enjoy the TF2 demake, hopefully this will be good as well. Although it doesn't look quite as fun.
Have a look at "Gang Garrison"

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I know the NES is old and can only handle so much, but I hope the guy manages to add a bit more variety to the normal zombies, or at least makes them a bit faster. Also, a couple of things lying around, like couches and cars, would look better too. Still, there's plenty of time, so I expect he has various other plans for this. Otherwise, looks pretty damn good!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm usually not into Valve games, but I've got to say this is hilarious. Props to the folks at Valve, this is cool!

Mar 16, 2009
People who demake Valve games usually don't dissapoint. Just like the Gang Garrison gang, Eric Ruth seems to have a good grasp of what makes Valve fun. The pacing is a little off, but the attention to detail looks fantastic. All it needs is a few tweaks.