Go Dot-Chomping in the World's Biggest Pac-Man Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Go Dot-Chomping in the World's Biggest Pac-Man Game

Holy crap, it's the world's biggest Pac-Man game [http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/#] and it's huge!

Created to show off the power of HTML5 and Internet Explorer 9, the monster Pac-Man game developed by Soap Creative in conjunction with Namco Bandai and Microsoft is seriously big. User-generated levels are linked together through "portals," one on each side, to create a gigantic, multi-part maze; each individual segment is patrolled by the usual ghostly goon squad and although they won't pursue you from maze to maze, they will be waiting exactly where you left them if you happen to double back.

At last count, nearly 5000 individual mazes had been created, roughly 714,000 mazes had been played, over 33,000 completed and almost 69 million Pac-Dots eaten. The United States is leading the international scoreboard with 18,660,000 points, followed by Spain at 8,208,000 points and the U.K., with 4,995,000 points. And in spite of the "Made for Internet Explorer 9" labels, the game works fine in any browser that supports HTML5. I took it for a spin on Firefox 4 and it ran flawlessly, notwithstanding the fact that I suck at Pac-Man.

As you'd expect from any game that relies on user-generated content, some mazes are extremely creative while others are slapdash garbage.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Pac-Man thinks with portals now?

Huh. Impressive bit of work, and I can't imagine ho long it'd take to beat the whole thing.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
HTML5, the way of the future.

Awesome way to demo its features. In five years tops, HTML5 will replace Flash.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I liked the Sonic and Megaman levels.
The wang is a bit boring, why make it instead of say boobies? :p

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Damn, seems it's chugged up with too many people right now.

Andy Chalk said:
The United States is leading the international scoreboard with 18,660,000 points, followed by Spain at 8,208,000 points and the U.K., with 4,995,000 points.
Oh, that's hardly fair. There are a lot more of you Americans, you know.

Hit11

Apr 15, 2011
I created an HTML5 version of Pac-Man that more closely replicates that original arcade classic, I believe: http://pac5.t15.org/pacindex.php

Though of course this version is still pretty cool.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i gave it a go. And what did i found out? That i don't really need more than one map, cause i can't even beat that...
Seriously, i suck at Pac-man. But the page seemed like a fun thingy to do, and it really was huge.

Ashley Ringrose

Apr 16, 2011
thanks for the feedback guys. We've worked hard on this and are still tweaking the code to optimize more.

Also we've seen a steady increase in penis over the last 24 hrs too. I guess that's when the gamers started joining in :)

pacgamer

Dec 10, 2011
This game is nice but I am more interested in the original version.
This pacman [http://www.thepcmanwebsite.com/media/pacman_flash/] version is more like the original one.