Go Postal With This HD Remake of The Original Game

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Go Postal With This HD Remake of The Original Game

The original "offensive for the sake of being offensive" top-down shooter Postal is getting a HD remake for current generation platforms.

Postal and its sequel Hatred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/postal%202], the original Postal is getting a HD remake for current generation platforms.

Postal Redux will come to Windows, Steam OS and Mac in Spring 2016, and will make its console debut with a PS4 release later in the year. The game is a top-down shooter, putting players in control of "The Postal Dude" as he goes on a destructive killing spree.

In addition to all of the original content, Postal Redux will feature some new goodies, such as Rampage Mode, a new single-player mode based around a scoring system, which encourages an aggressive style of play by increasing a multiplier for each consecutive kill in a streak.

[gallery=5827]

"Even with all the noise surrounding Postal, gamers focused on the experience, playing the game by the millions, giving it great user reviews and helping us not only survive, but flourish. Postal Redux is a love letter to our fans," said Vince Desi, founder of developer Running With Scissors.

Let's just hope this doesn't spur Uwe Boll on to make another movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/postal%20movie?os=%20postal%20movie]...

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
It's odd how this developer survives on nothing but two games, two games they patch for free.

May check this out, main reason I didn't check out the original version before was that it was "too retro" somehow, I know that makes no sense.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Oddly enough... I'm kind of excited. RWS at least has dedication, if nothing else. Postal 2 even went out of its way to be about more than just "being offensive for the sake of it". I mean, yeah, both were offensive, but Postal 2 was rather unique for its time and the fact that RWS recently released DLC for it says something about how devoted they are.

But I guess I'm a weirdo for liking Postal 2.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
MatthewTheDark said:
Oddly enough... I'm kind of excited. RWS at least has dedication, if nothing else. Postal 2 even went out of its way to be about more than just "being offensive for the sake of it". I mean, yeah, both were offensive, but Postal 2 was rather unique for its time and the fact that RWS recently released DLC for it says something about how devoted they are.

But I guess I'm a weirdo for liking Postal 2.
According to Postal 2's Steam reviews there are a lot of us weirdos.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I wonder if they'll consider a remake of the second game if this makes enough money. Not from scratch necessarily, just transfer it over to a new engine and add some better textures, maybe go for some new character models if they're feeling especially brave. Basically, make it look a little less shit; it'd probably sell well enough.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Dead Metal said:
It's odd how this developer survives on nothing but two games, two games they patch for free.

May check this out, main reason I didn't check out the original version before was that it was "too retro" somehow, I know that makes no sense.
Three, actually, though no one wants to acknowledge Postal III's existence.

I have to imagine Hatred has probably eaten most of whatever audience this game had, but, sure, whatever. It wasn't an awful game, for its time, but it's not one I feel some desperate need to revisit.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Callate said:
Dead Metal said:

I have to imagine Hatred has probably eaten most of whatever audience this game had, but, sure, whatever. It wasn't an awful game, for its time, but it's not one I feel some desperate need to revisit.
I wouldn't say that. Hatred was bitched at for wanting to be Postal, but I like to think Postal does have an actually loyal fanbase. Mostly because Running With Scissors seems to know what their audience wants.

Adam Locking said:
I wonder if they'll consider a remake of the second game if this makes enough money. Not from scratch necessarily, just transfer it over to a new engine and add some better textures the textures, maybe go for some new character models if they're feeling especially brave. Basically, make it look a little less shit; it'd probably sell well enough.
Couldn't agree more. Postal 2 would benefit from some tighter gameplay and a facelift.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Callate said:
Dead Metal said:

Yeah, I ignored it cos they didn't develop it.

As for remaster of Postal 2, heck yeah! Import it into Valve's current engine, give it better textures, a few new things to discover an I would buy it again. Or make a true sequel that takes the piss out of reboots and the like.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have tried the first game and i got stuck what to do. generally the gameplay was weird that proceeding was not possible. but then again i have always disliked action games with isometric perspective that i simple stuck with postal 2. they have already released postal 2 on steam that supports widescreen and has the entire lot in it.
so yes, part 2 still will be superior than part 1.