Go with the flOw (PSP)

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
http://www.gamersblogs.com/images/galleryimages/40/1204732423_mid.jpg
Some things seem almost beyond words. That feeling of tranquility that accompanies a soft breeze and the rustle leaves, a stirring orchestra that captures a melody, or even the muted warmth of sun on a cool day. Playstation Network's flOw for the PSP seems to be an extension of such things, something that's beyond description and better left at the hands of experience.

flOw places an organism in a sea of color, other organisms floating to and fro. The object of flow is to "eat" the other organisms for growth. Each organism will contribute to the body of the first, letting it grow in size. Every bite comes with a sound, reverberating across the length of the organism and providing music to the ambiance of the background. Once the player eats a red-marked organism, they will shift into the background, indicating a deeper section that provides more food.

As it progresses, the food gets more varied, and it too will grow into sentient organisms. This means both competition for food, and the element of danger. If another organism hungers for the player, it will glow red and chase the player. However, the game never gets tense, forcing players back into the foreground if they are eaten too much. Even eating and being eaten is just the way of life in flOw, making it no more or less stressful than any other moment.

http://m2.n4g.com/8/News/119000/119193_hs.jpg
Which is part of the beauty of it. flOw has a sort of cool, airy, and breezy approach that would almost be spoiled by any sense of urgency. Even the most active part of the game, acquiring food, slips seamlessly into the melodies of the background. All of which contribute to the entire experience. Even when at rest, the game puts the organism on autopilot, drifting blithely onscreen. The innate serenity of the whole thing is on a level almost completely unheard of in games previously.

flOw is a quiet title that deserves a bit of thought. Simplistic but gorgeous, flOw is better represented by a thought-provoking painting than a series of words, and seems to exist as a form of artistic expression rather than the conventional concepts that make up games in general.

However thought-provoking flOw may be, it's still a game. Because of that expectation, it suffers, even if only a little. It's not something that can be called "fun" in the traditional senses, and worries of good control-schemes and cameras take a backseat to artistic expression and a built-in ambiance. The lack of clearly defined goals, menus, terror, drama, and conflict makes it feel slow. As if better suited for a hammock than a computer chair.

Regardless of the lack of traditional elements, flOw may not be the same as other games, but makes it no less exceptional in its own right. It's atmospheric and calming, the lazy Sunday of the gaming industry. Looking at it from the roller coaster-speed expectations of other games and genres, flOw looks like slow-moving pedestrian astride the Autobahn. Looking at it from the opposite point of view, it's looking at the hustle, bustle, and stress of a crowded city street from a hot tub settled on the balcony.

Bottom Line: There really aren't words that can do flOw's zen justice, but it's an experience without rival that should be explored at least once.

Recommendation: Buy It. It's not for everyone, but worth a play through if only take part in the experience.

Spicy meatball

Feb 17, 2009
Very nice review. I like that when I read the description of the game I immediately thought that it would make an awesome weekend/relaxing game, and how you pretty much agree in your conclusion. I might give it a try, it's like a less hectic version of geometry wars.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Nice review, NewC, at least structurally... But at some points, the vocabulary and sentence structure seems cumbersome. And it should be 'rustle of leaves' or 'rustling leaves' in the first paragraph.

Sentences with so many adjectives (like 'Every bite comes with a sound, reverberating across the length of the organism and providing music to the ambiance of the background) and modified syntax (like 'The innate serenity of the whole thing is on a level almost completely unheard of in games previously) can leave the reader feeling mired in the words, rather than the message they're conveying.

I mean, the language would work perfectly in a prose competition, but in a game review, even one of a tranquil and zen-like game, you need to be able to get the point across without too much extra fanfare and frippery.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Nuke, take it with a grain of salt, but this review seemed very blunt and you seemed to jump in too fast. The opening paragraph creates nice visuals, but seems out of place, as if its only purpose to take up space. Your second to last substance paragraph seems without substance, as if it was added for the sole purpose of avoiding a sense of total fanboyism.

I'm normally fond of your reviews, but the biggest problem I see with this one is that you just seem to be extremely blunt; something I'm not used to with you. I'm somewhat sidetracked right now (which explains the extremely short post, this probably reads horribly), but I really wanted to just leave you a comment because you requested some in the Review Revue group. If you don't quite understand my opinion and you'd like me to go more in-depth at a later time, I'd be more than glad to.

Generator

May 8, 2009
This game came out a while ago, right? Would you say this or Flower is better for a relaxation type game?