God of War 3 Sells a Quick Million

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
God of War 3 Sells a Quick Million

The latest outing for everyone's favourite ultra-violent, god-killing Spartan is apparently flying off the shelves.

We all know that God of War 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7305-Review-God-of-War-III] is good, and apparently this is such common knowledge that a million people picked it up just days after launch.

Speaking at the MI6 conference, Sony's VP of Marketing Peter Dille stated that the game had passed the million sales mark in "just a couple of days". It's unclear whether that refers to just US sales, or Worldwide, but either way, it's an impressive figure.

Obviously it's not on the same scale as Modern Warfare 2's launch, but a million copies in a couple of days is nothing to be sneezed at, and let's face it, nothing is going to rival MewTwo for a very long time.

Source: IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1081412p1.html] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178627]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Obviously it's not on the same scale as Modern Warfare 2's launch, but a million copies in a couple of days is nothing to be sneezed at, and let's face it, nothing is going to rival MewTwo for a very long time."

Well yeah, this is an exclusive and MW2 (WHY SAY MEWTWO?!) is across 3 platforms.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
well obviously it won't outsell MW2 when it's an exclusive. MW2 was on PC, PS3 and 360, so it had more potential costumers.

I'll wait to get it till the prices drop though, got some game si need to finish before buying new ones, and i'd liek to get and finish 1 and 2 first, luckily they've been re-released for teh PS3, so i won't have to borrow a PS2.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
SikOseph said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Obviously it's not on the same scale as Modern Warfare 2's launch, but a million copies in a couple of days is nothing to be sneezed at, and let's face it, nothing is going to rival MewTwo for a very long time.
Haha true, but remember that GoW3 is only on one platform and that they spent money actually developing a new game rather than skimping there by reskinning their previous title and just focusing on hype...
So your saying that MW2 is worse because it cost less to make and sold more because everyone can buy it.

Silly people, making money, pfft.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
(WHY SAY MEWTWO?!)
Exactly!

OT: Not really surprised, as it is one of the PS3's most anticipated games. Hell, I got a PS3 just for this game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
For a game that's only available on one system, that's pretty good.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I see like 10 copies USED at my Gamestop already. Certainly not short on new copies either.

They were BANKING on this game, it seems. And it paid off.

And like a billion Mass Effect 2 copies also.

Lepre-Khan

Apr 1, 2010
dududf said:
Only a million?

I expected more.
As did I. I feel kind of bad just renting it, but I'd feel even worse if I payed fully for it. Not because it isnt an epic'y awesome game, but because ten hour long games are only good for about a few playthroughs before you get bored and move onto something else, which is what happended to me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Well still a respectable amount! I am sure the PR department is pleased!

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
ColdStorage said:
SikOseph said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Haha true, but remember that GoW3 is only on one platform and that they spent money actually developing a new game rather than skimping there by reskinning their previous title and just focusing on hype...
So your saying that MW2 is worse because it cost less to make and sold more because everyone can buy it.

Silly people, making money, pfft.
No it's worse because it's not as good as Modern Warfare one. Sales have nothing to do with the quality of a game.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Ouch, only a million out of an install base of 35+. Geez I would have at least figured more than 3 % of PS3 owners would purchase one of the few recent tier 1 releases.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Halo: Reach could challenge it.

LOLOL, my mums drunk BF brought GoD3 even though I don't own a PS3. |: