God of War 3 Teases ... Something

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
Anything they announce that's even half as cinematic and visually stunning as God of War 3 will suit me just fine.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Who here remembers how the special features of the original God Of War told the story of Kratos' brother?
I think you're onto something and I believe this is where God Of War IV is going to go...here's why (theory below, contains some spoilers):

Obviously, as you mentioned, there's the reference to Kratos's brother in the special features in God Of War I. Can't really be considered to be a confirmed canonical story element, as the special features also have the bit about Cronos living another 1000 years, which he obviously didn't...

In the ending (post-credits) cutscene of God Of War: Chains Of Olympus, Athena makes a comment: "He'll live...they must." It's never been explained who "they" refers to.

In Hades in God Of War 3, you find a note from someone who is apparently (not confirmed, but given that all the other notes you find are from people who have interacted with Kratos in one way or another, I don't know who else it could be) Kratos's mother, stating how she tried her best to raise him, but listing his evil deeds...one of which is killing his brother. This is clearly not a reference to Ares (who I guess was technically his half-brother), as the note implies it happens before Kratos killed his wife and child.

Just before the last battle against Zeus, when Gaia shows up, Zeus taunts her with a comment about "her pawn failing" or some such, also stating, "Perhaps you should have chosen the other." Who could "the other" be referring to?

So my theory is that God Of War IV will focus on the story of the "grown-up-in-the-underworld" brother of Kratos rising to prominence and/or seeking revenge now that the world is in chaos. After all, it's been said by the devs essentially that "this is NOT the last God Of War game, but it IS the end of Kratos's story arc."

Makes sense to me, anyway...what do you think?

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Donnyp said:
What was with the Elijah Woods Thanks in the Credits? Anyone else see that?
I believe in a couple interviews, Elijah claimed he was a big fan of the God Of War game series and was hoping he'd get a chance to do some voice-over work for one of them...probably he did something to promote it.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Looks like DLC to me! Teasing things seems to be getting more and more popular these days.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Behold, the other Gods of all the rest of the world are Pissed. Now Kratos must face the Egyptian God Osiris while trying to dodge attacks from Thor, all the while trying to try and stop Kali from destroying the world.

Confused yet?

Easiest fight, Balder.

Oddest fight, Tiamat (I mean, seriously, original story has that the moon is her eye that was removed and left out there in the sky, She can eat all the Titans with one gulp >.>)

Best fight? Either Odin or Thor, since they the most fighting when it comes to Gods.

I don't like any of this, if their idea was for Kratos to stumble into another territory filled with Gods, BUT..would love to eventually see Loki trick Kratos into doing some naughty things for awhile.

Dr Gonzo

Aug 19, 2009
This kinda reminds me of the countdown teaser page to the next MGS, complete with rain & lightning. Are we gonna start seeing some flashes of familiar faces and nonsensical symbols? I hope so...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
all this talk about gods is giving me a hernia, but anyway.

as someone said before, i think it could be with the seasons, but only time will tell.

never played the game, but it looks like Sony could be the latest developer to milk a franchise, but tbh, Kratos is like the Mater Chief of the PS3 so it wouldn't surprise me.

but can i ask question? considering as i don't own a PS3 so therefore i cant play it

how can a tiny sword cut through a huge gods belly? or am i missing the point =S lol

id also like to know what Kratos did to upset he gods anyway, i thought the Greeks loved them in that time =S or did he shag the wife of Zeus or something?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
I really hope it is not God of War 4, because really, where are they suppose to take the series now? It would just drag the series.
Actually it was said earlier (here on The Escapist I believe) that neither "God Of War" or "Mass Effect" were going to end with the completion of their respective treaties according to developers. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have something to do with a new God Of War game. I have no strong feelings either way about the GoW series since I don't really play them.

That said, I think the success of Viral Marketing campaigns in the past have caused people to go overboard with them. It's getting to the point where my reaction to things like this is increasingly negative simply because it's being overdone.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
arc1991 said:
id also like to know what Kratos did to upset he gods anyway, i thought the Greeks loved them in that time =S or did he shag the wife of Zeus or something?
He tried to kill Zeus, which the other gods didn't agree with(even if zeus had tried to kill kratos first), and then he brought back the titans, which they had spent a long while trying to imprison back in the day, and restarted the great war.

Also, at this time the blood circle is almost at half, so it can't have anything to do with seasons.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Trifixion said:
Obviously, as you mentioned, there's the reference to Kratos's brother in the special features in God Of War I. Can't really be considered to be a confirmed canonical story element, as the special features also have the bit about Cronos living another 1000 years, which he obviously didn't...

In the ending (post-credits) cutscene of God Of War: Chains Of Olympus, Athena makes a comment: "He'll live...they must." It's never been explained who "they" refers to.

In Hades in God Of War 3, you find a note from someone who is apparently (not confirmed, but given that all the other notes you find are from people who have interacted with Kratos in one way or another, I don't know who else it could be) Kratos's mother, stating how she tried her best to raise him, but listing his evil deeds...one of which is killing his brother. This is clearly not a reference to Ares (who I guess was technically his half-brother), as the note implies it happens before Kratos killed his wife and child.

Just before the last battle against Zeus, when Gaia shows up, Zeus taunts her with a comment about "her pawn failing" or some such, also stating, "Perhaps you should have chosen the other." Who could "the other" be referring to?

So my theory is that God Of War IV will focus on the story of the "grown-up-in-the-underworld" brother of Kratos rising to prominence and/or seeking revenge now that the world is in chaos. After all, it's been said by the devs essentially that "this is NOT the last God Of War game, but it IS the end of Kratos's story arc."

Makes sense to me, anyway...what do you think?
I think you might be on to something there. There certainly have been a few hints for things that we haven't been told, and the notes were certainly exciting. There's enough foreshadowing scattered about to provide a link to someone else, most likely his brother. I think/hope that's what this is about.

Oh, and as an Update, the bar is half filled now.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's going to reveal the new God of War shampoo, be as styling as Kratos as he embarks with a full thick head of h- ...goatee, a lush thick goatee!

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Coelasquid said:
Arguing Greek myth is kind of like arguing X-Men history, with all the retcons and retellings. Sometimes Apollo and Helios are equated with each other and sometimes they aren't. Go ask a handful of random people what Apollo is the god of, because I'm sure some will say "the sun". I'm just saying when I played the game I assumed they were going with the Apollo=Helios approach because Apollo wasn't anywhere to be seen.
If I remember correctly from Homer's Iliad, Apollo was the god of the sun and light while Helios was considered more of a titan than a God.

As for this whole deal, last time I checked, it looked like a POV of looking down at the sea from a cliff

If you watched the end credits of GOW3, Kratos' blood trail lead off the cliff and into the sea.

And last I saw, it almost looked like you can make out the image of a person in the middle of the sea on the website.

See where I'm goin' with this?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Coelasquid said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Uhm? Noo...Helios was Helios. If anything, they used the things Apollo is god of and gave them to Hermes, what with the plague and all. They also gave Demeter's area to Hera, for some strange reason.
I'm quotin' wiki here so I know you gotta take this with a grain of salt, but I always grew up hearing Apollo's name associated with the sun.

"In Hellenistic times, especially during the third century BCE, as Apollo Helios he became identified among Greeks with Helios, god of the sun, and his sister Artemis similarly equated with Selene, goddess of the moon."
You're both right, as both Apollo and Helios have been portrayed both as individuals and as the same entity. It really depends on what myth and which author/poet you're looking at. If your knowledge of Greek Mythology comes from Edith Hamilton, then most likely you would differentiate Apollo and Helios as separate entities.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
My guess is that it will be an announcement for a god of war game set in atlantis, I say this because of 2 things.

1) when you watch the dev videos on either god of war 1 or 2 (can't remember which one) the devs make a comment about always have wanting to put in an atlantis level but could never find the space for one.

2) During the fight with Posideon one of the things he shouts at random intervals is "Atlantis shall be avenged!" so I think Kratos may have had something to do with that, why else would he be shouting it?

Regardless what it ends up being I would rather it be some DLC for god of war 3 rather than another psp game.
I think that they're saving Atlantis for the next Uncharted game. I mean come on, El Dorado, Shambhalla, what else could be next for that series. That an the God of War series is done. God of War 3 was the last one in the story. If Kratos would've done anything to the city of Atlantis he would've had to have done it when he was the God of War (for chronology's sake). And I don't think they'd let you play as God Kratos for a full game. That would be a cakewalk.