God of War Blades of Chaos Come to Life

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
God of War Blades of Chaos Come to Life

<youtube=OpfTl08cp8I>​
Swordsmith Tony Swatton created Kratos' Blades of Chaos from God of War as one of his many projects for Man At Arms.

Swordsmith Tony Swatton takes requests for new projects in his Man At Arms show. Judging by the popularity of the action-adventure series God of War, it shouldn't come as a surprise for so many commenters to call for Swatton's take on Kratos' Blades of Chaos.

Swatton describes Kratos' sword as "ginormously huge," which is why he scaled down the God of War's blade for a much smaller human, making it about 37 inches long. "The Atlantian sword Arnold Schwarzenegger swung around for the first Conan movie weighed eight pounds. After cutting out the inner section [of the Blades of Chaos], it was down to eight and a quarter pounds." After sanding away rough edges, Swatton said it was down to about seven and a half pounds.

"It's almost something that you can carry," he noted. "Well, I can carry it, but most people couldn't."

The hilt, grip, and pommel were cast solid in bronze - Swatton said together they weighed "probably 50 or 60 pounds" - making them extremely heavy. Had they been left as is, the sword would have been impossible to use effectively. To fix this, the interiors were milled out to make them lighter.

Nearing the end of the Blades of Chaos's creation, the metal had been pounded away by a hammer to give it a rougher look, but it was still too pretty. Some highly corrosive chemicals did the trick, giving it the appropriate dirty look.

As always, at the end of Man At Arms, the forged weapons are put to the test in chopping fruit, sculptures, glass, plastic bottles and other assorted things that exist to be destroyed for this segment.

Swatton has made many fan favorites of fictional blades, such as the Minecraft sword [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128920-Swordsmith-Forges-Assassins-Creed-IV-Weapons], but if you're still looking for something special, he takes requests.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpfTl08cp8I]

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
This guy is too awesome at what he does, and makes me a little jealous of his talent. Would love to be able to do this kind of work, however, space is a little tight for a forge and the rest lol

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
They look very nice, but he should've made it smaller I think. Maybe reduce it by 1/4 to 1/3. It looks huge as it is right now.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
That video was really, really cool. These guys must have so much fun doing this. I'd love to see Cloud's Buster Sword made, I doubt they could lift it easily but it'd be cool to know it just exists as a real, dangerous sword.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
AldUK said:
That video was really, really cool. These guys must have so much fun doing this. I'd love to see Cloud's Buster Sword made, I doubt they could lift it easily but it'd be cool to know it just exists as a real, dangerous sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogheZdAO18

Ask and ye shall receive

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
AldUK said:
They already did it. It took 2 guys to hoist it and they had to drop it on things instead of swinging it.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
If it weren't so costly and dangerous, I would love to have a whole warehouse dedicated to making real replicas of famous swords and other cool things. I feel like it was made too big, Kratos is a big guy, but the Blades of Chaos/Athena/Exile are still fairly small.

Too bad they couldn't attach the chain blades to some kind of device and throw watermelons into the blade vortex. That would be cool, and dangerous of course. >:)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Impressive work as always (that channel is one of my favourites). I make me wonder what if they had swing it from the chain eventhought I know that is dangerous as hell!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I watched the Buster Sword video, thanks for the head's up, guys! Cloud's arms must of been as big as tree trunks.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I love these videos, but a few of them are kinda off on scaling. Kratos' swords aren't half the size of a man, they're three-quarters the length of his full arm, and he's about a 6 ft dude, give or take a couple of inches, not a 9 foot one. From the corner of his shoulder to the side of his ribcage, really, and that's not that far. I love to see stuff like this, but I'm really not sure why half his creations are so large.