God of War Ragnarok Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you can, try and please leave story/character/plot spoilers in the spoilers tab or inline spoilers. I know some users here are going through God of War 4 for the first time with no spoilers.

This looks good. I don't recall centaurs being in Norse mythology. Unless some Greek myth monsters crossed over some how to where Kratos is. Can anyone confirm that? I can't wait to fight all of the new monsters, creatures, and gods. The enemy variety is gonna be off the chain.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I am excited to have areas in the open world where not everything is trying to kill you. And I actually find myself missing the combat, even though it took me so damn long to get used to it.

My only complaint so far is that I wish they had given Atreus a newer look, I didn't realize at first that he was aged up.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It looks like more of the same, but that’s not really a bad thing here. I hope they go bigger with at least a few of the bosses though, because it just doesn’t feel the same with smaller baddies. Hopefully the next trailer amps up the larger than life feel that put God of War on the map.

@BrawlMan I wonder if someone else from Greek lands is there too. That might have something to do with the similar monsters and the vase picturing Kratos with his blades. Probably Tyr has something to do with it.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Are you finally playing someone from a different pantheon on a quest to kill Kratos for destroying the world and probably killing your loved ones?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am kind of sad that this game will finish the story arch. I expected it to be a trilogy for sure considering the sheer amount of loose ends and gods to kill in Norse myth. But maybe they are doing the smarter idea and closing the story rather than milking it out.

Tbh the game is hype off the bat because it looks like the last game except with more shit. Actual towns, people to talk to, and most importantly...more Mimir.

I just hope puberty Atreus isnt fucking annoying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am kind of sad that this game will finish the story arch. I expected it to be a trilogy for sure considering the sheer amount of loose ends and gods to kill in Norse myth. But maybe they are doing the smarter idea and closing the story rather than milking it out.
I have no problem with them wrapping up the story arc. Better to end it appropriately than to stretch it out unnecessarily.

I just hope puberty Atreus isnt fucking annoying.
He won't.

Are you finally playing someone from a different pantheon on a quest to kill Kratos for destroying the world and probably killing your loved ones?
No.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What? We don't want to see Kratos taking down the Christian....uh...angels?

I was gonna say they'd never be able to make that game but Bayonetta exists and it's done pretty good for itself.
Took words out of my mouth. Bayonetta already has the Christian mythos and pantheon covered already.

Besides, I am sure there will be other God of War games after this one, but with their own story arcs. For all we know, the next game after this will take place in Egypt. God of War 4 was originally gonna be in Egypt, but they decided to go with Norse due to the popularity of the Thor films.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Took words out of my mouth. Bayonetta already has the Christian mythos and pantheon covered already.

Besides, I am sure there will be other God of War games after this one, but with their own story arcs. For all we know, the next game after this will take place in Egypt. God of War 4 was originally gonna be in Egypt, but they decided to go with Norse due to the popularity of the Thor films.
Egypt is kinda obvious but always a favorite due to how Iconic Ancient Egypt is. You know Kratos gets to fight the Sphinx at some point, or the "Real" version of it anyway.

There's also Mesopotamian mythos which is very under utilized or Indian/Hindu Pantheon, which....there's a lot you can do with that, honestly.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't recall centaurs being in Norse mythology. Unless some Greek myth monsters crossed over some how to where Kratos is. Can anyone confirm that? I can't wait to fight all of the new monsters, creatures, and gods. The enemy variety is gonna be off the chain.
I'm not an expert but they might just decide to play it a bit more loose for the sake of enemy variety. I think the centaur had a stag theme going on to keep it closer to the nordic setting.
My only complaint so far is that I wish they had given Atreus a newer look, I didn't realize at first that he was aged up.
I think he looks fine overall, but some different hair would've been an appropriate change. I'm actually wondering if we're going to hear some differences in Sunny Suljic's voice over the course of the game, because in this trailer he's got some major puberty vibes going and doing voice work for this game probably took a years work atleast.
I have no problem with them wrapping up the story arc. Better to end it appropriately than to stretch it out unnecessarily.
It does come a cross a bit abrupt though considering how much the previous game had set up. There's the whole thing with Freya, Atreus being you-know-who, Ragnarok, the war with the Giants, Thor, Odin, Tyr, Fay, and whoever that girl is. Not to mention some of the skeletons that still lurk in Kratos' closet. That feels like a lot to cram into one game. But then Cory Barlog isn't directing this one and is working on something else for Santa Monica, which he was all cheeky about so who knows what's really going to happen.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This looks good. I don't recall centaurs being in Norse mythology. Unless some Greek myth monsters crossed over some how to where Kratos is. Can anyone confirm that? I can't wait to fight all of the new monsters, creatures, and gods. The enemy variety is gonna be off the chain.

Centaurs don't appear in Norse mythology. Though neither do Wulvers (which are Scottish) or Tatzelwurms (Germanic/ Swiss, and while there's a lot of crossover between Germanic and Norse myth, that monster doesn't cross over).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Centaurs don't appear in Norse mythology. Though neither do Wulvers (which are Scottish) or Tatzelwurms (Germanic/ Swiss, and while there's a lot of crossover between Germanic and Norse myth, that monster doesn't cross over).
Thank you. I knew about the origins of Wulvers and I had no idea where the Tatzelwurms came from.

It does come a cross a bit abrupt though considering how much the previous game had set up
That's the problem with sequel baiting and trying to everything in one basket with a neat little bow.

whoever that girl is. Not to mention some of the skeletons that still lurk in Kratos' closet. That feels like a lot to cram into one game. But then Cory Barlog isn't directing this one and is working on something else for Santa Monica, which he was all cheeky about so who knows what's really going to happen.
Check the developer interview, they do mention the girl's name. I can't remember, but the details is towards the last 4 minutes. I am surprised Barlog is not directing on this one and is focusing on another game. This is definitely new info for me.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There's the whole thing with Freya, Atreus being you-know-who, Ragnarok, the war with the Giants, Thor, Odin, Tyr, Fay, and whoever that girl is.
Check the developer interview, they do mention the girl's name. I can't remember, but the details is towards the last 4 minutes.
Indeed they do; the girl is Angrboða. In Norse myth, Angrboða is a Jotun and Loki's partner. Together they are the parents of Fenrir, Jormungandr, and Hel.

Though in the dev interview, he pronounces the 'ð' as 'd', whereas it should actually be like the 'th' sound in 'this'.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
An interesting insight -

Also, character renders -

Apparently Mimir called it on Thor being a “fat doober”.
It was pointed out in the last game that Tyr did travel the world. So it makes sense that he would have a couple of souvenirs from his travels.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I am surprised Barlog is not directing on this one and is focusing on another game. This is definitely new info for me.
It is a staple of the GoW franchise really to switch up the director with each new installment, Barlog being the only one who has directed two games. And I don't blame him sitting this one out, it's monsterously exhausting work. The new guy directing, I don't know if he's just a reserved individual, or if he's had to work himself stupid - I mean, this game looks fucking enormous.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh by the way, I totally called it with them freezing over the Lake of Nine to serve as a change of gameworld. Didn't expect dog mushing though - Kratos could swap some stories with Solid Snake.