God of War Series Possibly Coming To Amazon

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Amazon’s library of video game rights continues to expand further, with PlayStation’s God of War franchise sliding into its veritable dropbox of future IPs to draw on. And a potential live-action series based on the popular game has some big names attached to it.

Deadline reports that the adaptation will be led by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who absolutely nailed their adaption of The Expanse, turning a series of brilliant (but still solidly mid-list) books into an incredibly evocative sci-fi series that received critical acclaim across the board. Fergus and Ostby are no strangers to Hollywood, or even adaptations—they co-wrote the scripts for Children of Men and Iron Man and have been keeping busy ever since. The trade also notes that Rafe Judkins, the showrunner and executive producer for The Wheel of Time (which, like The Expanse, is a Prime Video series), is also involved—as are Sony Pictures and PlayStation Productions.

God of War follows Kratos, a Spartan soldier who seeks vengeance against Ares, the god of war. As the installments continue (there are seven to date, with an eighth announced for release later this year), Kratos becomes the god of war himself, and attempts to change his fate and those of the warriors who worship him. Amazon’s current slate of video game adaptations also includes series based on Fallout and Mass Effect; the streamer also recently entered into a first-look deal with dj2 Entertainment, which has worked on award-winning games like It Takes Two, Life Is Strange, Tomb Raider, and Sonic.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm gonna be sad at this because I know its gonna be basing itself more on Dad of Boi instead of the older PS2 era games in Greek Myth

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatuno and Ezekiel

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
A TV series, God of War?
A fact that I've seen some abhor.
But as haven't played the games before,
Greek fantasy? I could have more.

Or perhaps it be based on the Norse?
Oh silly me, that is "of course."
The streaming wars have gone full force.
As adaptations made from many source.

So perhaps I'll give series a chance.
But do not expect me to prance.
But I shall give it at least a glance.
As Kratos conducts deadly dance.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
If they based something on the original concept of anger, gore and titties instead of the artsy, placated shit the reboot was, I might be mildly more interested. But I still wouldn't waste my time, because the concept works better interactively, virtually.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Given the popularity of the video game saga, the series had better be really good, because otherwise it could cost Amazon dearly, but if the series is successful it can be a huge springboard.

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox
Amazon is apparently fine with throwing money at bad shows left and right and they don't care if anyone likes it.

I hope it is worth watching but I don't have any faith it will. I think it's more likely the Metal Gear Solid movie will end up being worth watching and I don't see that happening either.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Maybe they'll try to do both the original and reboot at the same time, like Kratos with his boy but with frequent flashback to his pass? I don't see them doing the original god of war, orgy of tits and gore (and orgy) is probably not the image they want to project.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm gonna be sad at this because I know its gonna be basing itself more on Dad of Boi instead of the older PS2 era games in Greek Myth
Like that would make a difference on the end result.

Seriously, can you imagine how limp and awkward live-action chainblade combat would be? *shudders*
Maybe they'll try to do both the original and reboot at the same time, like Kratos with his boy but with frequent flashback to his pass? I don't see them doing the original god of war, orgy of tits and gore (and orgy) is probably not the image they want to project.
Considering the popularity of The Boys and how it bled into the Invincible adaptation (which increased its gore compared to the source material), I'm not so sure on that. At least when it comes to the gore and innocent bystanders getting chewed up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seriously, can you imagine how limp and awkward live-action chainblade combat would be? *shudders*
You were saying...

Before you start on about the first video, I know Zeus is using regular chains, but it only proves my point it can work. I still see no point in making a movie adaption, as we already got three movies that are basically God of War, but without the name. Ironic, as God of War took many of its inspirations from Clash Of The Titans. The remake & the sequel to the remake took ideas from God of War. Same thing with Immortals, but with the actual gore.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You were saying...

Before you start on about the first video, I know Zeus is using regular chains, but it only proves my point it can work. I still see no point in making a movie adaption, as we already got three movies that are basically God of War, but without the name. Ironic, as God of War took many of its inspirations from Clash Of The Titans. The remake & the sequel to the remake took ideas from God of War. Same thing with Immortals, but with the actual gore.

I think your going to run into one of two problems: Either make the blade combat fit the live-action actor by making it slower and more comprehensible, in which case you lose the speed and chaos. Or make it viciously fast and chaotic and risk making it look cartoony in combination with the actor. I just don't see it coming together well. The games have a lot of time and effort put into making the combat look fantastic, as they are action games. I doubt a live-action series is going to do the same.

As much as some games often get criticized for being too realistic they're still filled with fast and flourish action that live-action can't compete with in a practical sense, unless they do it digitally which then snaps the viewer (or well, me at least) out of the live-action experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think your going to run into one of two problems: Either make the blade combat fit the live-action actor by making it slower and more comprehensible, in which case you lose the speed and chaos. Or make it viciously fast and chaotic and risk making it look cartoony in combination with the actor. I just don't see it coming together well.
While possible, it can really only happen with an incompetent care or someone not knowing what they're doing. As seen in the clip of Ninja Assassin, and several action scenes before the final one, they're able to capture speed fine with the Kusari-Gama. I know there are some slow-mo shots, but these scenes have speedy action, without being incomprehensible. The only exception is one small action scene where Raizo saves Mika in here home, but it's filmed in the dark, and they use shaky cam for some dumb reason. This is the only time they do this, and no other action scene has this. Back on tropic, it can work, but needs to be put in the hands of someone skilled enough. If a medium-low budget B-grade ninja movie can do it, so could a live-action God of War.

Last edited: