God of War should follow the example of Assassin's Creed

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
No, I don't mean by releasing a glitchy game of sporadic quality every year. I mean via the plot, where all the protagonists are descendants of the earlier ones. In the opening narration by Gaia (it doesn't matter that she's dead, the crowds will cheer if there's an opening narration by Gaia), she could explain that, after Kratos killed all the gods, new ones arose, and there was peace for hundreds of years, until 'the bloodline of the God of War' reemerged in a new character, who would naturally kill all the new ones. They could do this, theoretically, as many times as they want, provided they find enough different theologies. It would be an easy way to keep the games creative while still not deviating from the standard formula.

Of course, they could just do a quick cop-out with the Roman pantheon, but that would just be stupid.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What, an annual release sched...?

Aw.

I'd just do the spiritual sequel thing. Take what worked, ditch what didn't and make a fresh game that is openly influenced by the old ones but isn't dragged down by the baggage.

Come on, it's gotta be more appealing for all involved than licking the ash from Kratos's absurdly shaped jawbone for all eternity.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'd just do the spiritual sequel thing. Take what worked, ditch what didn't and make a fresh game that is openly influenced by the old ones but isn't dragged down by the baggage.
Yeah, I don't see why a game about, say, Norse gods would have to have (or indeed should have) its story tied back to the Greek gods.

There's some cross-pollination potential, sure, but as an overarching device it seems just as arbitrary and pointless as Assassin's Creed's Animus, which even Assassin's Creed has all but dropped by this point. It's not exactly as though they would really need an excuse to contrive another game where mythological beings get angry and kill each other.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
That actually sounds like a good idea but I have a question why would the new God of War want to kill the new gods since it will be different person with a different personality and way of thinking compared to Kratos.

Roman pantheon cop-out wouldn't be as bad if they did my home country's legends.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I honestly don't think God of War is going to work without Kratos or Greek mythology. Yes, the guy is an asshole who we're all kind of tired of, but the combat was unmistakably him; His 'no bullshit' wrecking ball approach to every enemy. You could opt for a different style of combat, but I doubt Sony Santa Monica could make another one as satisfying as Kratos'.

And no mythology apart maybe from Norse is as recognizable, iconic, and ripe for brutal action as Greek.

I'd say just stop making more games. We're all done with Kratos, and trying to wring the franchise into a different mythological setting will just make it feel like a spin-off.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
And no mythology apart maybe from Norse is as recognizable, iconic, and ripe for brutal action as Greek.
Egyptian mythology could work, a lot of people are familiar with the gods-with-animal-heads from pop culture. It only takes a few recognizable ones (Osiris, Isis, Set, Horus, Anubis) before shoehorning the rest.

Another possibility could be the Hindi gods but since it's an active religion I doubt Sony would mess around with it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
Egyptian mythology could work, a lot of people are familiar with the gods-with-animal-heads from pop culture. It only takes a few recognizable ones (Osiris, Isis, Set, Horus, Anubis) before shoehorning the rest.

Another possibility could be the Hindi gods but since it's an active religion I doubt Sony would mess around with it.
Greek mythos feels just way more applicable to the action game format. I think that was actually David Jaffe's pitch to making the first game, that you have instantly reckonizable enemies, like gorgons, cerberuses, minotaurs, cyclopses, harpies etc. With weapons like Medusa's head and Zeus' thunder bolts. It was like an action game treasure trove waiting to be plundered.

I don't think Egyptian mythology has that same appeal or sense of grandeur. When people hear 'Egypt' they think desert and pryramids. When people hear 'Greek' they think Zeus, Hercules, Mount Olympus, swords and sandals. There's more "romance" to it, I guess. And I think that's a reason why the God of War games became as popular as they did. Ofcourse Kratos and the action was a big part of it, but it was also those lush settings that made you feel like you had walked into an ancient Greek painting or onto the set of Jason and the Argonauts.