God of War Writer Joins Shank Team

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
God of War Writer Joins Shank Team

Klei Entertainment's upcoming Xbox Live title Shank is receiving a bit of extra love in the form of God of War [http://www.gamefly.com/game/ps2/God-of-War/110705/] writer Marianne Krawczyk.

Shank is an indie side-scrolling brawler that recently caught EA's eye, ending in a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98903-EA-Puts-Muscle-Behind-Deathspank-and-Shank>publishing deal between the two companies. With that kind of support, Shank seemed poised for success, but EA and Klei weren't going to stop there. The companies announced today that they have brought acclaimed God of War writer Marianne Krawczyk into the fold.

Krawczyk, who is the recipient of the British Academy of Film and Television Video Game award for Best Story and Character, said she is working to craft "a story that will allow gamers to explore a world where values like integrity and loyalty take on their own twisted meanings."

For Shank's narrative, Klei CEO Jamie Chang said it is important to emphasize its cinematic style. With the theme of revenge taking the fore, the story is shaping up to be one with which Krawczyk has a lot of experience. Still, Shank's style draws far different inspiration from God of War, hearkening back to the "golden age of comics and graphic novels," so it will be interesting to see what she will do with a new atmosphere and cast.

Currently, Shank has no listed release date.

Source: <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179292>1up

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
The game looks great and all but a God of War writer? I hope to god it isnt just a god of war side scroller

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Kinda odd, though, isn't it? God of War's writing wasn't exactly what people remember it for, it mostly consisting of Kratos grunting while victims scream, moan, and cry out about his actions against them. Though, I suppose if we consider it in terms of revenge...then this would be the guy to go to, as that's about all Kratos ever did talk about.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see him
helping others out ^^ might as well
put his talent to use

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
A god of war writer? What? I thought they just picked a list of greek god names and monsters and put "Kratos kills" before everyone.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
God of war writer? Who? I'd be more interested in a valve or bioware writer not the "I kill you and everyone because you made me kill my daughter and wife who I rarely mention or reflect that I'm partly responsible for there deaths AHhhhh!". Nothing against him though he could make something interesting ya never know.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Wait, God of War had writers? I thought the entire series consisted of Kratos shouting variations of "I am going to put a SWORD in your HEAD!".

Why does no-one think it's odd that he communicates ENTIRELY BY SHOUTING?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Is there any writer better for a game named Shank then the writer of a series that basically invented the ultra bloody QTE?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Strange. I tend to think these comic side-scrollers like Castle Crashers go best with minimal story and lots of camp/ self irony. I could be wrong but the art style looks rather light-hearted, so a overly good stroy might just be a little bit of a wasted effort.

Okay just checked the game out and it looks like Desperado meets Final FIght, so I'd say a story really might be rather...well unneccasary perhaps.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Judging by that screenshot and title, I'd say it is a game about mindless violence, so that writer won't be straying too far away from what she's used to.

Calumon: Wonder how long til the characters plunge off mountains?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Oh that's good news for Shank, because God of War was soooo well written, right?