"God Particle" Could Wipe Out The Universe, Says Steven Hawking

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
It's just so boring for when people go like "oh yeah, we found out the universe may blow up", and then "Oh, but no chance of anything like that happening in the lifetime of any human you know, or yourself. Or anything that lives right now".

Like, sure, big fuckin deal then. Sure I would not like the sun to end or the universe to blow up; but when scientists say there is a chance something maybe will happen in a billionxmillion years from now... Bah, whatever.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
FalloutJack said:
The universe ran over everybody's cat...except maybe Schroedinger's.
Until observed, I am simultaneously amused and not amused at that joke.
A drowning man is simultaneously dead and alive, except, if I pull him up before he's dead then he's alive, if I pull him up after he's dead then he's dead..... Schroedinger's cat, what a stupid notion of science.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
EHKOS said:
...we found it? Two years ago? I thought we were still looking! I feel so dumb right now. Then again, probably my fault for not reading the news enough.
we didnt. we observed an event that we theorized to be caused by Higgs-Boson particle, as that is the most fitting explanation of the event. Existence of said particle is not directly observed or proven.

Its important to know that just because it is not proven does not mean its not likely to be true. For example we have no way to observe black holes, as they do not reflect anything out. however we have created a theory based on objects reacting to it outside the event horizon. i doubt many would contest black holes existence even though we have not been able to directly observe it.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Ahh, sensationalism. ""God Particle" Could Wipe Out The Universe, Says Steven Hawking"

Translation: "The Higgs-Boson Could* Wipe Out The Universe Untold Eons from Now, Says a Famous Guy in a Related Field**."

*: "Could" is an extremely weak work for arguments sake. Plenty of things "could" while few "will," if you catch my drift. I could be struck by lightning while writing this. Will I? Probably not.

**: Let's not forget that this is a man who bet $100 that the Higgs-Boson doesn't exist as recently as a few years ago. How much could he really know about it?

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
What's to say another intelligent race somewhere in the universe has already done this

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Not buying into the possibility of this happening before our sun explodes, considering that in some place else in the universe the same thing has probably been discovered and studied already and well... we're still here.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait, so all you have to do to destroy the universe (or at least stand a chance of doing so) is build a collider the size of the Earth?

Who is to say some alien civilisation hasn't got a really big one they've had running for ages?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ExtraDebit said:
A drowning man is simultaneously dead and alive, except, if I pull him up before he's dead then he's alive, if I pull him up after he's dead then he's dead..... Schroedinger's cat, what a stupid notion of science.
I would point out that the point of the thought experiment was to demonstrate how the mechanics in question break down on the macro scale, so it's not really a stupid notion.

I would further point out that Jack was making a reference, and I was running with that reference, having fun with it, rather than an in-depoth scientific debate.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Wait, so all you have to do to destroy the universe (or at least stand a chance of doing so) is build a collider the size of the Earth?

Who is to say some alien civilisation hasn't got a really big one they've had running for ages?
What do you think Earth is? Did you really buy Deep Thought's explanation?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
WHAT!? So the universe will be destroyed in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years?!

So we still have some time.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Happiness Assassin said:
Does anyone else find the possibility that we could destroy the fabric of reality kind of awesome? I mean, a slow eventual heat death of the universe where all matter and energy is slowly choked out of existence is infinitely less cool than the hubris of man trying to attain knowledge as "causes of the end."
It brings to mind tastes of Lovecraft. Especially considering, as others have said, we have little chance of ever creating such an amount of energy, tiny, insignificant beings we are.

But something else in the universe might, I suppose.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
inu-kun said:
Not entirely connected to it, but is there really a thing as "time bomb"? I mean, we have 'now', so time isn't collapsing and therefor time will continue to not collapse on itself... I think.
A time bomb is a bomb that will explode after a given amount of time. Not one that literally blows up time.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Urgh, can we please stop calling it 'the god particle'. I mean, if you're going to take that route, at least use the unabridged version to maintain the original meaning: 'the goddamn particle'

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Doclector said:
Happiness Assassin said:
Does anyone else find the possibility that we could destroy the fabric of reality kind of awesome? I mean, a slow eventual heat death of the universe where all matter and energy is slowly choked out of existence is infinitely less cool than the hubris of man trying to attain knowledge as "causes of the end."
It brings to mind tastes of Lovecraft. Especially considering, as others have said, we have little chance of ever creating such an amount of energy, tiny, insignificant beings we are.

I think of it this way: the universe is supposedly filled with countless civilizations and the odds ours is anywhere near the most advanced are astronomically small. If blowing up the universe could be done in any meaningful way, someone would have probably done it already. Thankfully, they haven't (I think ).

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Doclector said:
Happiness Assassin said:

Or tomorrow, you know how finicky those statistics are.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
renegade7 said:
There is also an ontological problem that it invokes, namely, that most permutations of this interpretation of the standard model hinge on the many worlds hypothesis being true, in which case we are all subject to subjective immortality and wouldn't need to worry about dying in any way, let alone vacuum collapse, anyway.

So in conclusion, in terms of things that could kill you, worry more about falling down your stairs or getting in a car accident before worrying about the consequences of quantum field theory.
Your entire post reminds me of Welcome to the Night Vale. Instead of being set in a world where every conspiracy is true, your post is set in a world in which every offbeat possibility and half-thought hypothesis of physics is true.

If you were to stick to only theories with a shred of evidence behind them, your post would be a lot more dry.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
"Most likely it will take 10 to the 100 years..."

For one /very/ long second there, I thought he was saying, "Most likely it will take 10 to 100 years."

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I thought "supersymmetry" was a component of OCD. I looked it up and...well, I honestly don't know what to think anymore. What, it's the opposite of antimatter and regular matter?

I'm going to go back to typing fanfic...