GodBlock: Keeping Your Children Safe on the Internet

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Stupid; people need to be worrying about other things on the internet.

Blocking God could only bring forth negative results.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Hey, there is a software that blocks all Justin Bieber mentions, why shouldn't there be one for god? Also, the web browser companies aren't forcing this add-on on anyone, so I don't see the problem with it.

Some parents feel the need to protect their kids from pedophiles, and some parents feel the need to protect their kids against god. The difference is only slight, and it is semantical, in that.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
i remember when my mom put a parental blocker on the computer.
i guessed the password in 1 try. it was her name..........i just put the settings to nil and resumed my surfin of the web

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
thinking it over:

some folks say that religion is bad because the religious are ignorant jerks...

...then I meet some atheist that are ignorant jerks...

then I come to a conclusion...

some people are ignorant jerks no matter what they believe in or deny...

OneKlicKill

May 29, 2009
I'm going to get this for myself. No longer will have to deal with religion on the internet. Finaly one safe place!

mechanixis said:
How is this offensive, people? It's got a point. The Bible is full of sex and violence; it's simply in the text. And frankly, because so many people cry for censorship on religious grounds, it's a criticism well-deserved.

Plus, it's a completely valid statement. Children shouldn't be exposed to religion before they're old enough to think for themselves. If you're offended by that idea, then it obviously didn't happen to you. I led an indoctrinated childhood and it was awful.

I'm sort of disappointed it's a joke.
Amen to that.. oh my child hood still pops up..

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Speaking as a Christian I think this is freaking awesome, I'm not kidding, far too many people who label themselves as a member of X or Y religion get bogged down in little dogmatic details and forget the core message of that faith and start spewing horrible crap at everyone.

So I'm all for it, after all there are filters out there that block atheist websites.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Oh no, we must shelter our children from images of Jesus and stories from the bible lest they turn into horrible creatures!

As a Catholic this is both disgusting and really fucking insulting, while I'm against all web filters (Bar maybe safe search when you need an image of a blueberry waffle) I doubt that having your child occasionally come across scripture is going to make them convert, and even if they do it's not like they're joining a bloody street gang.

If only we could all live in harmony...

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
danpascooch said:
Next up: "Oxyblock"

It is 100% guaranteed to never let your child see ANYTHING offensive, by blocking all oxygen from being inhaled.
Oxyblock Detergent?

Billy mays should get right on thi-- Wait.

AKJay should get right on this! - That aside. dogclock godblock sounds like a rather contradictional name, there.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
If this is supposed to be funny, I'm not laughing. There's a difference between censoring some pop star's name (which is funny) and full-blown censorship (which is wrong).

Seriously, what the fuck is this? If it's satire, it's not well done and if it's real, these people are really stupid.

V161

Dec 8, 2009
So first they a religion to give up control (and eventual consequence) of their lives i.e. needing fear of retribution to guide them. But now their kids will be reigned in; not by what they are taught, but by what their parents install out of fear to guide them. Nice!

Apr 29, 2010
This is as close minded as close minded can get. Words can not begin to describe how stupid it is. A site that blocks religious content? They have got to be kidding. Yea, because passages from the Bible are so dangerous to our youth. Give me a fucking break.

On a lighter note, I accidentally read GodBlock as CockBlock. XP

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
HG131 said:
I like it. The religious and otherwise anti-game come out with blockers like the ones commonly seen in schools, and now the opposite exists. I'm just glad it exists if only to show them that it can be done either way.
Yeah I suppose that's true. If religions can block athiest material then the same can work in reverse. That said I'm still not sure if it would be that damaging for a child to be exposed to religious material and going out of your way to block anything religious strikes me as almost bigoted in a way.
After all, there are far worse things on the internet than religion that needs to be blocked and while I can't say I approve of some of the extreme angry internet religious groups out there I'm still not sure how forcing children to ignore religion is going to help them 'figure things out for themselves'.

However, even with all that said, I still can see why this block was made and ultimatley even though I find it kind of silly, with all the preaching and prophecising and fiery doom that religious extremists harbour overall I'm not sure if completely blocking the existance of anything religious is ultimatley a good idea.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
I like this.
Although it seems pointless, unless to can filter out the bible bashes in schools and general society its effect would be muted.

On the other hand no one really wants their 7 year old asking why site x/y/z stated they were going to hell for not believing what it says or family friend/relative xxx was evil just because they are gay.

As for anyone who would consider this hypocrisy, it would only be hypocritical if I thought religious nutters didn't have to right to filter their internet (and believe me this kind of censorship and filtering exists by the bucket load).