Godzilla to Get Second US-Made Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Godzilla to Get Second US-Made Movie

Legendary Pictures has just finished negotiating the rights for a second American-made Godzilla movie.

Twelve years ago, Roland Emmerich's Godzilla remake/reimaging met with scorn from the critics and apathy from movie-goers, and while profitable, did less well than Tri-Star pictures hoped. The tepid reception seemed to spell the end of Godzilla's American movie career, but now, Legendary Pictures is stepping up to bat with a new movie, tentatively scheduled for release in 2012.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Legendary's Chairman and CEO Thomas Tull, "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."

The movie will be co-funded by Warner Brothers via its deal with Legendary, and seems to be being made in close association with Toho. Best of all, Roland Emmerich's name is nowhere near the project, which will make some people very, very happy indeed.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/godzilla-stomping-back-to-theaters-legendary-toho.html] via Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/03/29/legendary-pictures-planning-a-new-godzilla-movie/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Whatever this reimagining will be, I'm sure it'll involve mediocre human characters and a big CG monster stomping around American landmarks.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I thought the first film was hilarious.

?Sir we have a huge monster in New York!?

?Quick shoot tons of missiles at it and try for as much collateral damage as possible!?

?Sir we haven't killed the monster but we have leveled several city blocks worth of sky scrapers.?

?Get me the president we need to carpet bomb this city?

Apr 28, 2008
If its a big CGI one I'll be pissed.

I want a dude in a rubber suit. Its not Godzilla without that...

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
SuperMse said:
How about making Godzilla Versus The Cloverfield Monster? =P.
I would actually pay to see that, although the directors would probably does focus on the fight from a person aspect. :(

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I must be the only Human being who actually enjoyed the American Godzilla movie >.>

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Another Hollywood remake of a classic series, *sniff sniff*, is that....Shia LeBouf I smell in the mix?

I bloody hope not

Doddyno2

Dec 25, 2008
I have been waiting 12 years for this movie!
back then i loved this movie and didnt understand why there wasn't a sequel

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
wooty said:
Another Hollywood remake of a classic series, *sniff sniff*, is that....Shia LeBouf I smell in the mix?

I bloody hope not
Shia LeBeouf might be the only person who could make people long for the acting skills of Matthew Broderick.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I enjoyed the last Godzilla film, i stil quote lines from it today!
"You're going the wrong way! YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"
"Running would be a good idea..."

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I hope they actually make it a Godzilla movie. The other one wasn't Godzilla since he died. Godzilla can't be killed unless there's another monster.

That, and I hope it won't be Godzilla vs USA again. I'm sorry, but that's just not a good thing.