Godzilla Vs. Kong Thread (Godzilla X Kong included)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm cautiously excited for it. I have HBO Max so no matter what, I plan on seeing it basically on release date and there's no real risk for me since it's already part of what is being paid for.

I have greatly enjoyed the Nu-Godzilla movies and Skull Island I think was far better than it had any right to be. So I'm optimistic that this movie will be good. At least until the ending since we all know that neither of the two will lose (best case scenario is they team up against a bigger threat or worst case one "wins" like how Jason "won" in Freddy vs Jason where he didn't actually win...)

Or my hope for the ending...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
...is the Japanese Kaiju angry there's a black Kaiju now?

In all seriousness how contrived can you get? Godzilla has turned evil so you need an another monster to fight him? Its just going to be Batman vs Superman all over again. They'll each get a turn to be ahead in the fight, and then begrudgingly call for a truce as, I dunno, the Giant Brine Shrimp attacks and it turns out Godzilla was being driven crazy by Brine Shrimp pheromones, or there's gonna be a big tittie lady Godzilla and Godzilla doesn't want her hooking up with Kong and his big black monk- I mean he's going to be territorial!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm cautiously excited for it. I have HBO Max so no matter what, I plan on seeing it basically on release date and there's no real risk for me since it's already part of what is being paid for.

I have greatly enjoyed the Nu-Godzilla movies and Skull Island I think was far better than it had any right to be. So I'm optimistic that this movie will be good. At least until the ending since we all know that neither of the two will lose (best case scenario is they team up against a bigger threat or worst case one "wins" like how Jason "won" in Freddy vs Jason where he didn't actually win...)
Same here. Though I did not like Godzilla (2014). King of the Monsters (2019) is great and Skull Island I fucking love. I do not know why critics were on the hate train nor what the fuck they were expecting with the KoM. I do ope for the best case scenario where they team up.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There are too many squishy pink things talking.

In all seriousness though... I don't know, so far this seems like it could go either way, it would be hilarious if this Godzilla was actually mecha-godzilla sent by China to destroy Japan and America.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Godzilla is a huge fire breathing lizard the size of a tower block.

Kong is a flammable-furred ape small enough to have its weight supported by a tower block.

This should not be an even competition.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Godzilla is a huge fire breathing lizard the size of a tower block.

Kong is a flammable-furred ape small enough to have its weight supported by a tower block.

This should not be an even competition.
You should watch Kong: Skull Island, they scaled him up so he would work better for a fight with Godzilla. Also, its probably the best of the american made giant monster movies, that I've seen.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
These vs. movies between good guys are so boring. Nobody ever actually wins, there're no lasting consequences, and there's always some middle of the road compromise. See Batman v Superman, Civil War, etc. Each will land a couple of good shots, get their hero moment and then punch the clock for the sequel bait.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These vs. movies between good guys are so boring. Nobody ever actually wins, they're no lasting consequences, and there's always some middle of the road compromise. See Batman v Superman, Civil War, etc. Each will land a couple of good shots, get their hero moment and then punch the clock for the sequel bait.
Depends. Civil War had proper build up and the Monsterverse dropped hints. Batman V. Superman....talk about jumping the rail gun! I thought the film was okay, but there were several misfires and missteps. Even when taking the Extended Cut in to account. Freddy vs. Jason I loved when I was 14, but I see the flaws. I still like the movie and my brother and I watch it together every once in a while.

You don't like, so I know you ain't gonna watch.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Depends. Civil War had proper build up and the Monsterverse dropped hints. Batman V. Superman....talk about jumping the rail gun! I thought the film was okay, but there were several misfires and missteps. Even when taking the Extended Cut in to account. Freddy vs. Jason I loved when I was 14, but I see the flaws. I still like the movie and my brother and I watch it together every once in a while.

You don't like, so I know you ain't gonna watch.
I'd just like a vs. movie where 1) I'm given a reason to root for one of the sides over the other and 2) one of the sides actually, conclusively wins. Because the studios don't want to alienate the fanbases they themselves manufacture, every vs. movie always ends with a wishy washy draw.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
...is the Japanese Kaiju angry there's a black Kaiju now?

In all seriousness how contrived can you get? Godzilla has turned evil so you need an another monster to fight him? Its just going to be Batman vs Superman all over again. They'll each get a turn to be ahead in the fight, and then begrudgingly call for a truce as, I dunno, the Giant Brine Shrimp attacks and it turns out Godzilla was being driven crazy by Brine Shrimp pheromones, or there's gonna be a big tittie lady Godzilla and Godzilla doesn't want her hooking up with Kong and his big black monk- I mean he's going to be territorial!
I mean...it's not like the original movies didn't just pull random shit out of their ass to justify having 2 monsters fight. So I don't really see what the problem is? It's source accurate as far as I'm concerned. Nobody REALLY gives a shit as to WHY this stuff is happening. They just want to see giant things smash each other in cities. Whether it's "random magical shit from island shamans" or "mind controlled by Dr. Weird" or "it's actually a robot version we built because reasons" they just did it and said "Ok, so now onto the part everyone wants to see."

And yes, considering how they spent so much time hyping up Godzilla as being a "good guy" , and Kong is also being framed as a good guy, it's probably going to end with them teaming up against Mecha-Kaiju-Ultra-Zilla-Kong Jr. or some such dumb shit. But really, it's all dumb shit. It's dumb shit all the way down. But for people who like watching this stuff, that's enough. And that's fine.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mean...it's not like the original movies didn't just pull random shit out of their ass to justify having 2 monsters fight. So I don't really see what the problem is? It's source accurate as far as I'm concerned. Nobody REALLY gives a shit as to WHY this stuff is happening. They just want to see giant things smash each other in cities.
And yet, bizarrely, it's amazing how many filmmakers screw this up.

When I want to watch transforming robots fight or massive monsters trash cities, I don't want it to be the side act in a 3h slog which is mostly a soap opera about some stupid squishies with their trite emotional problems. ~90 minutes: build up, trash a major city, done.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whether it's "random magical shit from island shamans" or "mind controlled by Dr. Weird" or "it's actually a robot version we built because reasons" they just did it and said "Ok, so now onto the part everyone wants to see."
Honestly, if things involve Dr Weird I would have no problem with it. It would be crazy seeing him say "Now I get to live my life long dream of Kong & Godzilla fighting each other! There can be only one king!".

Reactions: happyninja42

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
These vs. movies between good guys are so boring. Nobody ever actually wins, there're no lasting consequences, and there's always some middle of the road compromise. See Batman v Superman, Civil War, etc. Each will land a couple of good shots, get their hero moment and then punch the clock for the sequel bait.
Even when it's two bad guys facing off like Freddy Vs Jason, they usually still don't have an actual winner. F v J had a fake-out winner but ultimately neither won or lost. Unless you were a promiscuous teenager who smoked the devil's lettuce, then you probably lost as one of them murdered you per the slasher killer rulebook.

A company isn't going to kill off a cash cow for some versus movie

Reactions: BrawlMan