GOG Awards Free Game to Longtime Supporters

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GOG Awards Free Game to Longtime Supporters

If you've been using the Good Old Games service for a while, you've earned yourself a free game.

For those that still haven't forgiven Good Old Games for its Icewind Dale [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103694-Good-Old-Games-Not-Really-Gone] haven't been enough to change your mind, will a free game make things any better? Whether it does or not, if you used GOG before it left beta, you now own one more game than you did before.

GOG announced today that it's giving away Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/jagged_alliance_deadly_games] for free to everybody that had an account with the service before its recent shutdown. At a retail GOG value of $9.99, that's a pretty decent way to apologize and award longtime supporters.

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games is the second title in the underrated Jagged Alliance series of turn-based strategy games, and was originally released in 1995. Instead of having players take on aliens like in X-Com or goblins like in Final Fantasy Tactics, Jagged Alliance is a turn-based game that features more realistic special ops mercenary squads in modern-day environments. It's definitely a good old game, and with four other Jagged Alliance titles offered on GOG, giving it away for free isn't a bad idea for a promotion either. Deadly Games should be added to all applicable accounts over the next few days.

Anyone that already bought a copy of Deadly Games will apparently get to choose from another selection of free games, but GOG didn't say what they include. This way, every supporter of the service gets something for free. As soon as GOG got the "B" out when it announced Baldur's Gate I had forgiven it for faking a shutdown, but hopefully other efforts like this will help others find forgiveness in their hearts too.

Source: GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/en/news/a_gift_for_gog_beta_users/0]

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Fantastic! I didn't know until I read the article. I wasn't bothered by the whole shutdown business so this is a real bonus.

Got myself a game to play until new Vegas activates now.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I love GOG.com, now as always. I've been amember for 315 days and it's been awesome. Now it's even more so.

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Whoo-hoo, free game for me! Good times to be had. Still wishing I'd picked up the Gabriel Knight trilogy when they had that sale. :(

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
sarahvait said:
Whoo-hoo, free game for me! Good times to be had. Still wishing I'd picked up the Gabriel Knight trilogy when they had that sale. :(
Yeah it was one of the series I missed as a kid because it would not fly with my mom. I picked up the first one awhile ago.

So I have a free game waiting for me now. Owned the first JA back in the day. Nice. I am a bit distracted by the bug riddled but fun anyway Fallout: New Vegas.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Yay! I already knew about this, as I got an email earlier today, but still... I love GOG.com...
Time to get the first 2 Fallouts, too...

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
I forgot I made a gog account a long time ago. I remembered I had it with that whole shutdown buisness, and became active when they released Planescape Torment. But I've also bought Arcanum of steamwork and magic obscura, which is alsoa great game.