GOG.com Closes its Digital Doors

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
It's apparently a PR stunt [http://www.destructoid.com/gog-com-is-down-don-t-panic-it-s-not-forever-184350.phtml]. That's D.Toid, with an apparent quote from one of the Gog.com team.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
DRM can stick itself where moons don't orbit. So can copyright laws that somehow apply 10 years after something was released. In short, capitalism sucks.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Well, that fucking sucks. I had a few games in my GoG collection, so I guess I'll have to put a day or 2 aside to download em all again.

Sad day :(

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
If this is a stunt it's one hell of a stunt to pull on people. I hadn't bought a lot of games from GoG but I was very glad when the full Total Annihilation collection showed up on their site.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I never use it myself, but, I know a friend who is going to be devastated by its loss...

Orry

Nov 21, 2009
Chatney said:
DRM can stick itself where moons don't orbit. So can copyright laws that somehow apply 10 years after something was released. In short, capitalism sucks.
Like it or not copyrights apply until ~60 years after the author dies.(exact duration varies by country)

This is how copyright works for everything, video games included.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
The rumors of this being a PR stunt have been getting pretty strong. So, I'm sure they'll be back soon. The big problem will be how many of their customers will be back with them? IMO, this is a pretty poor way of doing business. A simple warning would have been fine. But I guess a "clever" way to do things is what gets attention. I have back-ups of everything I download, so I'm not affected. But if I needed to re-download a game from them right now, I sure as hell would be pissed.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
Orry said:
Chatney said:
Like it or not copyrights apply until ~60 years after the author dies.(exact duration varies by country)

This is how copyright works for everything, video games included.
I know, and it sucks.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I worried about their fate when I realized that their catalog wasn't really growing all that much and the initial wow factor had worn off after a few years. Also, the problem with selling classic games is that you've got a fairly limited number of them as well as a small market, and once that's saturated it's pretty difficult to continue making money. I applaud their attempt to make a go at it, and I enjoyed patronizing their site while they were still around.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I've bought games from GOG.com, and I tend to agree with the "stunt" angle. Only three days ago, I received an email from them for a promotion. This annoys me as I'd finally replaced my failing DVD burner, and was planning to download and burn the games I'd bought.

I'm glad we'll get a chance to download the games later, but I do hope they'll still be DRM-free.