GOG Denies New Policy Circumvents Australian Censorship of Witcher 2

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Casimir_Effect said:
CM156 said:
I'll be damned. These guys are the most progressive (in the good way) people in the video game industry I have seen in a long time. I might just pick up the first game, as I never got the chance to play it.
I DID pick up the first game just now($10? Hells yes!). After that, perahps I will get Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. And then the first two Fallout games!

Oh, Happy day!
I'm assuming then that you have the Baldur's Gate games and, more importantly, Planescape: Torment? As they are also on the site for $10 and far more worth it than NWN or Icewind Dale.
No, I forgot about those. Never much a fan of the Planescape setting for D&D, but Baldur's Gate is a nice idea. Never played it, but I've read about it. I love the Red Wizard guy and the Halfling Fighter. Guess I am not going to get any work done this summer.

OT: I have not met a person yet who does not like these people.

rufuslives

Dec 25, 2008
As an Australian and a big supporter of an adult games classification in this country AND one who is sick of censorship and arbitrary price mark ups for digital content I would NEVER consider using this for bypassing local requirements... LOOK OVER THERE, IT'S A DISTRACTION!! (Goes to GOG profile page)

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
CM156 said:
Casimir_Effect said:
CM156 said:
I'll be damned. These guys are the most progressive (in the good way) people in the video game industry I have seen in a long time. I might just pick up the first game, as I never got the chance to play it.
I DID pick up the first game just now($10? Hells yes!). After that, perahps I will get Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. And then the first two Fallout games!

Oh, Happy day!
I'm assuming then that you have the Baldur's Gate games and, more importantly, Planescape: Torment? As they are also on the site for $10 and far more worth it than NWN or Icewind Dale.
No, I forgot about those. Never much a fan of the Planescape setting for D&D, but Baldur's Gate is a nice idea. Never played it, but I've read about it. I love the Red Wizard guy and the Halfling Fighter. Guess I am not going to get any work done this summer.

OT: I have not met a person yet who does not like these people.
The Planscape setting is something else. And when handled by the guys who used to work at Black Isle is trenscends anything else in the D&D universe. No elves or orcs here, the develoers specifically wanted to avoid fantasy cliches

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
As as American I stand solidly by my Australian gaming brothers in the removal of these censorship laws. Until they are removed this is a step in the right direction.

We need more companies to do this. The gaming industry needs to go with a Spartacus strategy. It would be simple for Australia to just say "Meh, we just won't rate games by this publisher." See how well that shit flies if the entire industry stands together and they try to block them all.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
When the news first broke a few days ago, I immediately went and pre-ordered/downloaded The Witcher 2.

Since then, I have received free copies of Earthworm Jim 1+2, Planescape: Torment and Gothic 2 Gold Edition.

Also, I got my brother to sign up for an account and gifted him a copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

My GOG.com account is not likely to ever be as loaded with games as my Steam account, but they're easily my second favorite digital distributor, and my collection of games from them is only going to grow.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
a few years back I speculated (not on here) that drm and the like would get so bad and that pretty much everyone would be going it.
that it would get to the point where the first company not to do it would have people flocking to them and make a fricken fortune.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Fuck yeah good for GOG and good for all Aussies! Nosey fucking governments don't deserve to have this kind of power over you all. Fuck the stupid laws like this they try to impose, if people would completely ignore these kind of laws and go around them they would have no choice but to change them eventually. Way to go GOG, I will look to purchase games from you more in the future now, knowing this.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Its not illegal for them to do that here. The "boobie" version has been refused classification meaning in cannot be sold here. Importing an unclassified copy isn't illegal, which is what this system allows you to do.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Global Capitalism to the RESCUE!!!!

OT: I love these guys. The rating board in Australia is ridiculous. It's a culture of non gamers telling gamers how to live. "Protection" from the state usually has such things happening.

Edit: It's as I always say, if there is a need, the market will fill it, no matter how much big bad gubment doesn't want it to.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Father Time said:
I was always wondering why people didn't use DLC to fight Australia's censorship laws. Sure they sell them the censored Australian copy but then they have a patch or some DLC patch that bring back the blood and tits.
I believe 3D Realms did something similar with Duke3D back in the day and boy did that cause a ruccus with our government.

OT: I now love the guys at GOG. I was furious that they'd set up region pricing to pander to Australia's shitty retailers, but now they're happy to look the other way. I'm going to buy The Witcher 2 as a show of thanks.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
That deserves respect, but I do wonder how much they are sticking their necks out.
It sounds like this will come back to bite them somehow.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Okay so just to clarify, GOG is a platform for downloading games for the PC, much like Steam. And if I wanted to get an uncensored version of Witcher 2 I can do so from there?