GOG Galaxy Update Adds Cloud Saving, Screenshots, and More

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
GOG Galaxy Update Adds Cloud Saving, Screenshots, and More

GOG.com's optional client will now include the ability to keep your saves in the cloud, even for older games.

The optional client for GOG.com is called Galaxy, and was announced back in 2014 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135069-]. It remains an option for GOG users, allowing them to manage and update their games in much the same manner that Steam does. Today, GOG is rolling out its biggest update yet, adding some major features to its client.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1390/1390561.jpg

First up is cloud saving. This will sync your saves to the cloud after every session, and means you don't have to worry about losing your progress. That's good enough, but what makes it even nicer is that the feature will support older games as well, so your Planescape: Torment saves will be safe and secure.

The update also adds the new in-game overlay that lets you chat, check achievement progress, and more by pressing Shift + TAB in games that support it. Those supported games will also now be able to save screenshots by pressing F12 in-game. The new overlay will also include a FPS meter to let you see just how well your rig is running The Witcher 3.

Another interesting feature is a new hibernation mode. This automatic mode greatly reduces the amount of CPU used by the client, freeing up resources for your games. There's also a completely revamped chat system that lets you chat with friends in or out of game, as well as the ability to schedule and limit bandwidth.

It's also worth noting that this update will allow you to customize the GOG Galaxy client, turning on and off the features that you want to use. That means is you don't want the overlay or achievements enabled, you can just turn them off.

The new update goes live today for those who have opted in to test upcoming updates (you can opt in through the settings menu on your client), and will roll out to all users in April. You can check out the changes and download the client over on GOG.com [https://www.gog.com/galaxy].

[gallery=7075]

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Nice to see they are still moving forward while preserving options. I also really like the fact that GoGs' client is not mandatory, I wish more companies would follow this path.

Over the last few years I have been quietly moving more of my purchases to GoG as I find their platform to be more supportive with my gaming interests.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I wish Galaxy came out sooner. I am too entrenched in Steam to make GoG my primary service, but I very much like it. I hope they copy everything minus the shittyness of Steam.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
This is how to create a viable alternative service to Steam. Don't force a thinly veiled DRM system in anyone who wants to play your games, like Origin and uPlay do it, but make the service so good, that you want to use it voluntarily. EA, Ubisoft, you should take notes. Or CD Project is going to steamroll you.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Saelune said:
I wish Galaxy came out sooner. I am too entrenched in Steam to make GoG my primary service, but I very much like it. I hope they copy everything minus the shittyness of Steam.
Me too.

The fact that if I leave my country I can't play most of my games without VPN (which is murky territory to say the least) is absolute bullshit, and I hope the EU court will get its way in the upcoming geo-blocking investigation against Steam.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
YES!

No promises but I just might consider using GOG Galaxy, and I say that as a person who has avoided any other client/service like steam/origin/uplay/whathaveyou. No DRM, optional, customizable, and more. Lets hope that the tortoise wins over the hare this time. ,)

Now, a lot of people have mired themselves and become rather entrenched and beholden to steams stockholm syndrome monopoly so having some way of transferring games from one client to the other while still being profitable to all parties will take some doing.
Or they could just continue being excellent in all ways and play the long game..