GOG Last Chance Special- best games to buy

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814
so what are the best games to buy on that list?

So far I am planning to get gothic 2, gothic 3, and painkiller. I am Potentially interested in getting sliver and Guild Gold Edition. I hear gothic 3 is quite buggy but from my undertaning I can just use an unofficial patch to fix a lot of the problems.

I know of Penumbra and/or amnesia the dark descent are at least being decent horror games but I have no interest in horror games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Most of the games I've never played or already own.

Painkiller is a good shooter and if you like DOOM or Serious Sam then you should pick up painkiller.

Amnesia and Prenumbra are both good but if you don't like Horror then they probably won't be worth it to you.

Red Faction might be a lark if you like shooters. I remember it being interesting back in the day, because you could blow up and carve out bits of the landscape with explosives. Then again, that was 15 years ago.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Gothic 2 and 3 I can both recommend (stay the hell away from Forsaken Gods, though). With Gothic 3, you need to ensure it's all patched up though, which requires downloading and installing unofficial mods (community patch, quest packet and content mod are the three I use). Otherwise the game is downright broken. But all fixed up, it's a brilliant but flawed gem. As for Gothic 2, it's a great game that is somewhat hampered by the expansion. The expansion adds some neat things, but overall, the original game was just much better and more balanced. Night of the Raven can get pretty fucking ridiculous sometimes.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Gothic 2 and 3 I can both recommend (stay the hell away from Forsaken Gods, though). With Gothic 3, you need to ensure it's all patched up though, which requires downloading and installing unofficial mods (community patch, quest packet and content mod are the three I use). Otherwise the game is downright broken. But all fixed up, it's a brilliant but flawed gem. As for Gothic 2, it's a great game that is somewhat hampered by the expansion. The expansion adds some neat things, but overall, the original game was just much better and more balanced. Night of the Raven can get pretty fucking ridiculous sometimes.
I seen how Forsaken Gods was reviewed by people on gog and I have no interest even trying out that game.
So what makes Gothic 3 a flawed gem after the patches?
I would put the first witcher game decently close to being in my favorite game list despite it being a heavily flawed game. so I am sure I can tolerate the flaws but I am curious about what flaws are.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
So what makes Gothic 3 a flawed gem after the patches?
Well, the biggest problem is stability. The modders did a hell of a lot, but one thing they can't do is change the engine. Gothic 3 is rather notorious for having an engine that simply could not fulfill the vast ambitions of the game. As a consequence, the game does not perform very well. It doesn't matter if you have an absolute beast of a machine, it will still lag now and again and have long loading times and shit. You will inevitably end up getting killed a few times because of said lag. Honestly, you do learn to put up with it but it is a big issue. Strangely enough, the game has never really crashed for me though. So no CTD's, just poor overall performance.

That's the biggest issue anyway, second would be combat. In the original unpatched game the combat was a goddamned mess. The victor was determined by who could get the stunlock on first. With the community patch turned on with all features activated, there are now rules to follow in combat and it can actually be quite a bit of fun when you learn how it works but it's still not a very good combat system. While it's no longer a left mouse button spam fest it is still very clunky and there were some unfixable bugs associated with it (some bad hit boxes for one).

So yeah, it definitely has its issues but if you can get past those issues, well, I'd wager you're not going to find a more enjoyable open world to explore anywhere else. It truly exceeds in that regard.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I will probably get Black Mirror 2 & 3 to close at last this Trilogy. They say it have satisfying ending.
Penumbra also is a good choice I think.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Freedom Force vs the Third Reich is well worth the asking price in my book. One of the best superhero games around.