GOG Launches 2015 "DRM-Free" Summer Sale

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Launches 2015 "DRM-Free" Summer Sale

GOG's 2015 "DRM-Free" summer sale will include more than 700 discounted titles and come with a chance to unlock free games.

Last week it was revealed that Valve <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140959-Valve-Softwares-Steam-Summer-Sale-Begins-On-June-11>would be starting its annual Steam Summer Sale on June 11th. Apparently intent on beating its competitor to the punch, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gog>GOG today has announced the immediate launch of its own DRM-Free Summer Sale, complete with free games, daily deals, discounted bundles and more than 700 price slashed titles with discounts up to 90 percent.

The sale opened this morning with deals on a variety of games including The Witcher 3, Lichdom Battlemage and Telltale's Game of Thrones. Alongside these individual titles are bundles including a collection of Lucasfilm's adventure titles and the "D&D Remade" bundle which customers can purchase to get Beamdog's Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions at a 60 percent discount. According to GOG, gamers can, in total, expect more than 100 discounted titles every day "with new deals appearing on the site every 12 hours."

In addition to straightforward discounts, GOG has also devised a reward system that will gift customers with free games when they reach certain spending thresholds during the duration of the sale. Gamers who buy at least a dollar worth of GOG products will automatically receive a free copy of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127892-Good-Old-Reviews-SimCity-2000>SimCity 2000. Spending $20 will unlock a copy if S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky while $50 spent will earn customers a DRM-free edition of Xenonauts. The sale itself will run until June 21st.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Why doesn't this website ever do coverage that say GamersGate summer sale started a few days ago.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
NickBrahz said:
Why doesn't this website ever do coverage that say GamersGate summer sale started a few days ago.
More people follow gog.

I expected GoG would try to pop their sale ahead of steam. Sad though. Problem with GoG is that they simnply have a smaller catalog and ironically their shift a way from classics and older games to more modern and indie games has sorta diminished my interest in them. They're not Adding the games I want and the games they are adding I can buy off steam cheaper.

I mean anyone else find it funny that Steam managed to get CHip's Challenge before GoG did?

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
More people follow gog.

I expected GoG would try to pop their sale ahead of steam. Sad though. Problem with GoG is that they simnply have a smaller catalog and ironically their shift a way from classics and older games to more modern and indie games has sorta diminished my interest in them. They're not Adding the games I want and the games they are adding I can buy off steam cheaper.
I had a quick gander at GoG because i never use it but thought i would check for a good deal, and most of it is old games with 1 or 2 new games, at least with GamersGate they put on sale new and old games alike and update the catalog

And Steam is always the last out of the digital distributors to have a sale, i always find it funny because people have spent money elsewhere buying the games to then activate on steam instead of bothering about steam having Half life and left for dead on sale 13 times a sale.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
NickBrahz said:
MonsterCrit said:
More people follow gog.

I had a quick gander at GoG because i never use it but thought i would check for a good deal, and most of it is old games with 1 or 2 new games, at least with GamersGate they put on sale new and old games alike and update the catalog

And Steam is always the last out of the digital distributors to have a sale, i always find it funny because people have spent money elsewhere buying the games to then activate on steam instead of bothering about steam having Half life and left for dead on sale 13 times a sale.
Quite the otherway around. Most other services wait for steam to announce their date and then start theirs ahead.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
lacktheknack said:
EVERYONE GO BUY DESKTOP DUNGEONS. NAO.

That's all I have to say.
I have been waiting for this game to go on sale. Thank you.

OT I see this as a prelude to steam summer sales.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NickBrahz said:

Well GOG does stand for Good Old Games, so of course its going to be mostly old games on sale there.

Do note that GOG announced this AFTER we found out when Steams sale starts. they are competing to be first.