GOG Launches Atari Sale as Developer's IPs Near Auction

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Launches Atari Sale as Developer's IPs Near Auction

With the future legal rights of Atari's IPs in question, GOG is hosting a sale on the publisher's products.

For the duration of this weekend GOG will be hosting a "Thank You, Atari!" promotion featuring a sixty-five percent discount on its Atari titles. The sale includes twenty-seven Atari products, most of which can be purchased for about $2 a piece. Included among the sale are classic titles like Alone in the Dark, Total Annihilation and Master of Orion. The full list of games includes:

RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe -$2.09
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum! -$6.99
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack -$3.49
Powerslide -$2.09
Moonbase Commander -$2.09
Locomotion, Chris Sawyer's -$2.09
Alone in the Dark 1+2+3 -$2.09
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare -$2.09
Independence War Deluxe -$2.09
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos -$2.09
Star Control 1+2 -$2.09
Star Control 3 -$2.09
B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th -$2.09
Krush Kill 'N Destroy 2: Krossfire -$2.09
Krush Kill 'N Destroy Xtreme -$2.09
Master of Orion 1+2 -$2.09
Master of Orion 3 -$3.49
Darklands -$2.09
Pirates! Gold Plus -$2.09
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack -$2.09
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Expansion -$2.09
Blood (One Unit Whole Blood) -$2.09
Blood 2: The Chosen + Expansion -$2.09
Outcast -$2.09
Colonization, Sid Meier's -$2.09
Master of Magic -$2.09
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, The -$5.24

The "Thank You, Atari!" promo comes as Atari, which filed for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121617-Atari-Inc-Files-for-Bankruptcy>bankruptcy in January, prepares to send its intellectual properties <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124283-Atari-Assets-Go-Under-Hammer-In-July-Auction>to auction. Depending on who purchases the publisher's various franchises there's actually a fair chance that many of the games on the list above could be removed from GOG's library in the future. In other words, if you fancy a DRM-free copy of any of the titles on sale, this could well be your last (and cheapest) chance to get them.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Note to self, pick up the Roller Coaster Tycoon games. I just reinstalled the first one on my desktop and I've never played the other ones before.

crackfool

Mar 13, 2010
Even if they're taken off the GOG market, GOG still has to host the games for download, right?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Whoever buys the properties, it would be silly and short-sighted to remove them from GOG as it provides a revenue stream. Also, if they are removed I could only see an increase in piracy happening as a result.

I'm also with crackfool, I'm not sure if I have to download a game I already own on GOG before the marketplace loses it.

Apr 28, 2008
crackfool said:
Even if they're taken off the GOG market, GOG still has to host the games for download, right?
FoolKiller said:
Whoever buys the properties, it would be silly and short-sighted to remove them from GOG as it provides a revenue stream. Also, if they are removed I could only see an increase in piracy happening as a result.

I'm also with crackfool, I'm not sure if I have to download a game I already own on GOG before the marketplace loses it.
They'll most likely keep the downloads up for the people who bought the games. After all, Second Sight is still able to be downloaded for the people who bought it despite it being taken off the site back in February of last year.