GOG Launches New Indie Submissions Portal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Launches New Indie Submissions Portal

GOG will respond to all indie submissions and is offering cash advances for projects in need of a budget boost.

At its launch GOG, or Good Old Games as it was known back then, maintained an exclusive focus on delivering gamers DRM-free versions of retro PC titles. At the beginning of 2012, however, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116521-GOG-Gets-a-New-Name-and-Newer-Games>the digital retailer re-branded and began selling newer independent games. Now, in an effort to expand its share in the indie games market, GOG has launched <a href= www.gog.com/indie>a new portal for developers aimed at making the site's game submission process easier and more friendly.

The new submissions page also details some of the partnership options GOG will offer indie developers, including an "industry norm-defying" advance on royalties where GOG will give developers money to finish polishing their projects in return a temporary boost to its share of profits following the game's release. The indie portal also promises a prompt response to all submissions, big or small, and a "dedicated cross-media marketing campaign" for each new release that lands in its online storefront.

Hoping to promote its new indie portal, GOG also released a video of indie developers talking about their positive experiences with the company. Featured in the video are Ken Gao (To The Moon), Calvin French (The Real Texas), Lars Doucet (Defender's Quest) and Anne and Ville Mönkönnen (Driftmoon). "I've had both good and bad experiences but working with GOG.com has definitely been one of the great ones," said Gao. "They've always been very prompt, they're easy to reach out to, and the community over there is actually fantastic!" He added, "I have nothing but good things to say about them." The new indie portal is already up and running.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Oh boy

If my experiences with the GOG forums are any kind of indicator of the general commenter opinion, an F5 shit-storm is about to sweep in. Many of them (again, my observations here) are still butthurt that they're selling anything newer than 1990. "It's supposed to be Good Old Games" gets thrown around a lot

Personally, I'm very pleased. I absolutely love GOG, retro-hipster forum population aside. I'm excited to see what comes of this

Apr 28, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Oh boy

If my experiences with the GOG forums are any kind of indicator of the general commenter opinion, an F5 shit-storm is about to sweep in. Many of them (again, my observations here) are still butthurt that they're selling anything newer than 1990. "It's supposed to be Good Old Games" gets thrown around a lot

Personally, I'm very pleased. I absolutely love GOG, retro-hipster forum population aside. I'm excited to see what comes of this
Pah, bunch of whiners. They're still selling older games, and now they're selling newer ones with no DRM. There is literally nothing bad about this outcome. I for one hope they get even more success, and maybe start selling new, AAA games there. Because I'd LOVE a digital store that lets me buy games with no DRM. And a store that doesn't dick over non-US customers in pricing. That'd be pretty damn cool.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Irridium said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Oh boy

Pah, bunch of whiners. They're still selling older games, and now they're selling newer ones with no DRM. There is literally nothing bad about this outcome. I for one hope they get even more success, and maybe start selling new, AAA games there. Because I'd LOVE a digital store that lets me buy games with no DRM. And a store that doesn't dick over non-US customers in pricing. That'd be pretty damn cool.
Yeah, I'm a little confused by their logic, too. They seem to forget that GOG.com actually still hosts the games after release, it's only important that they don't have the game THEY want. Not to mention the odd attitude of simply refusing to touch anything new or that they didn't play 10-20 years ago, regardless of who actually made it or what it can bring to the table.

They seem to want GOG.com to be their special little place that only sells what *they* want. Their logic seems to follow the idea that, because they can buy indie games at the Humble Store or wherever else, GOG.com has nothing to gain by offering it; and are assumed (spuriously) to be diverting resources away from old games in order to offer them.

Disappoints me that some people who worship the so-called 'golden age' of PC gaming are so narrow-minded.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
I hope this works out for them. I just fear they will get overwhelmed by a flood of crappy games to review.. they promise to give feedback to everybody (and front cash for some people)..