GOG Launching "Pick 3+ Donate $5 or More" Charity Drive

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

GOG is trading donations for games in a fundraiser lasting until November 12th.

Gaming for Good to help further their efforts to make the world a better place.

GOG is asking gamers to contribute at least $5 to one of the three aforementioned charities. In return, it will give donors three (or more) free games from its library. The games being offered as rewards will include the likes of FTL, Waking Mars, The Whispered World and Darwinia among several others. The digital retailer will be receiving no profits from the proceeds of the fundraiser. In fact, it will actually be spending its own money to make sure the three organizations receive the full benefit of the money contributed by the company's customers.

"In order to make sure that a $5 donation doesn't end up becoming a $5 donation minus credit card fees, VAT, and other expenses, [GOG] will be spending nearly $0.25 on every dollar raised to make sure that every $5 donation equals $5.00 given to charity," said the retailer in an announcement. The developer's whose games are involved in the fundraiser will apparently also be suspending their usual royalties to help strengthen the donations. What all of this amounts to, of course, is a great deal for gamers. In addition to getting your hands on some cool games, you 'll also get to enjoy some of those warm-and-fuzzy feeling that come from doing something nice for someone else. The "Pick 3+, Donate 4 or More" event will run until November 12th.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
StewShearer said:

The "Pick 3+, Donate 4 or More" event will run until November 12th.
5 or more, stop skimming off of charity money.... you fiend! (JK)

OT will head over to GOG when I get home... me thinks it's going to be a expensive month!

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Can GOG do no wrong?

I'll gladly donate some dollar to WWF too.
Picking up Whispered World for sure, and probably Abe's Oddysee for old time's sake.
Can anyone recommend me a 3rd game? I own most of them, so it's between Waking Mars (though it looks too much like Capsized), Driftmoon, Darwinia and Pid?

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
And GoG.com continues its march towards distilled kickass. Seriously, that site does so many very cool things.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Bug MuIdoon said:
Can GOG do no wrong?
I'm beginning to think that all of their efforts to be the least evil game shop is to cover up some unspeakable crime they have committed in the past. Like they found a way to kill Clem in The Walking Dead or something.

I'd like to donate some pence to their cause but all of the games I either have already or they are a bit naff. Hopefully they do this again in the future with a fresh batch of games or they add in a few more later down the line.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Oh... I already have the games I want from this list... May as well just give that $5 straight to the charity then...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Reminds me of the www.humblebundle.com

I'd imagine quite a few escapist are familiar with that site but if not it's the same idea. Various games are put up for charity and you essentially name your price. Typically $5.00 is enough to collect all the games.

Right now you can get:

Scribblenauts Unlimited
Batman: Arkham City GOTY edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY edition
Fear 2: Project Origin
Fear 3
Lord of the Rings: War in the North

ALL for $4.53 cents or more. Most of which goes to the charity/charities listed.

It's awesome to see more companies follow this trend though :D

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Oh cool. I've been waiting to pick up FTL on sale, and now I can get Darwinia and Creatures Village too!

The biggest challenge was deciding which charity to support. Wikipedia only mentions the World Wildlife Fund. I chose that Worldbuilders one.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
FTL and Oddworld for $5? Hell yeah!

I grabbed Driftmoon for my third game, anyone know if it's any good?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Dangit GOG, why must you be so awesome?

The only problem is that the eligible games are either ones I already own or have absolutely no interest in. It's still a great gesture, though.