GOG Survey Uncovers the Complex Desires of Gamers

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Oh look one of the only companies I still have faith in showing they actually care what we think, maybe this survey will show Ubisoft and lately EA that no one wants god damn always online crap. I doubt it will make a difference but it's nice to know someone still takes into account what we want.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I participated, but if you think about it, the findings really are not all that surprising.

But really is the NO DRM thing surprising at all? It is a fundamental core value that is one of the dominant reasons people buy with GOG in the first place. People stay with it, even in the face of not having access to the newest/coolest/biggest named releases BECAUSE of that value and having an entire industry infected with all the illnesses DRM brings and lead to.

Yes GOG members largely would not be adverse to "legit" DLC that adds actual content but not so much for trivial "gun pack/Horse armor" type DLC. Simply by being ON GOG illustrates that that player base is not inherently opposed to digital distribution as a platform. They do have reservations against how far down the slippery slope we know digital downloads will go. Plus that is typically another fundamental of GOG. Wherever possible when releasing a game with DLC/Expansions, they do all they can to release ALL the content. So they have shown their community they understand HOW to do it right, so the community is willing to trust them in that respect.

Season passes I found a tad surprising. When I think of season passes I think of The Walking Dead, but perhaps others were thinking of different games with season passes I am not familiar with. (Correct me if I am wrong, but do COD , Borderlands games have their own incarnation of season passes?)

For better or worse Online Multiplayer is a big factor on a lot of what is wrong with the industry today. While it "Can" be done properly and respectfully it is all too easy and more often than not isnt. So that too makes me wonder what people were thinking.

There is so much wrong with the industry right now. If they are purposely trying to save the industry or not they are quickly becoming the solution to many of these problems. Their model atm is a perfect example of how Digital distribution should be done and they represent the type of organization that DESERVES to be rewarded with profitability.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Edit: Apologies for the dupe

BAD CAPTCHA BAD!.

Yeah I would much rather have reCaptcha back. Sometimes these can be eerie fun, but at least reCaptcha served a purpose.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
I'm reminded of the statement the Ubisoft CEO made a couple days ago, where he basically said gamers wouldn't mind Always-On if it didn't suck; this seems to fall in line with that, to a degree

GOG patrons don't really seem to mind having to connect to some sort of game server, so long as it serves some kind of purpose to the game's benefit, doesn't interfere with their game, & doesn't inconvenience them in general.

These aren't exactly unreasonable requests
Seems more to fall in line with 'gamers' are stupid creatures, and just use whatever buzzwords their idols are using. "Always online" is bad yet PA requiring online connectivity is liked, so people are just inherently biased and emotionally driven rather than logical.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
rapidoud said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
I'm reminded of the statement the Ubisoft CEO made a couple days ago, where he basically said gamers wouldn't mind Always-On if it didn't suck; this seems to fall in line with that, to a degree

GOG patrons don't really seem to mind having to connect to some sort of game server, so long as it serves some kind of purpose to the game's benefit, doesn't interfere with their game, & doesn't inconvenience them in general.

These aren't exactly unreasonable requests
Seems more to fall in line with 'gamers' are stupid creatures, and just use whatever buzzwords their idols are using. "Always online" is bad yet PA requiring online connectivity is liked, so people are just inherently biased and emotionally driven rather than logical.
Planetary Annihilation, as is my understanding, uses temporary connectivity to allow the players access large-scale multiplayer environments that they couldn't likely process themselves, whereas Always-Online DRM adds nothing & takes away from a game if it can't connect.

Is it illogical to expect offline functions to function offline?