Going into System Shock 2 for the first time, is there anything I need to know?

HBMK

Dec 4, 2013
I looked at a few let's plays, so I have some idea of what I am doing (I know how leveling works and what psi powers are and such), but is there anything else I should know or be aware of?

Thanks for your time.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Also maybe don't consider leveling repair, since you should just keep an eye on your weapon status and maintain as needed. Monkeys should be bludgeoned every time you hear one. Consider that quicksave feature before charging into a new room guns blazing.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
you are an insect and you cannot ever comprehend the magnificence of SHODAN.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Standard weapons are king. Sure, the others are fun to mess with (I love my laser rapier for melee), but the assault rifle will kill anything fast with the right ammo. By the same token, make your shots count, and use melee where its safe to.

Hacking is ESSENTIAL, as is maintenance unless your going entirely without ranged weapons.

Getting the invisibility psi power towards the end of the game will make a certain section so much easier.

Also, if you don't mind the graphics and clunky controls, check out the original too. Its awesome, though you may find yourself missing some features when you get to 2.

Jan 27, 2011
1) Regular bullets/guns are super important by the end of the game. Make sure you've got a good old fashioned gun and a decent supply of ammo at all times. It's not ESSENTIAL, but it helps a LOT, seeing as how the Energy replenishing stations become very few and far between.

2) If you're going to invest in energy weapons, ignore PSI completely. I took a look at the PSI powers and decided that I didn't want to mess around with them. As such, I had enough Cybermods (the EXP of the game) to invest heavily in Energy weapons, which was excellent, since it allowed me to rely on a renewable supply of ammo for a good chunk of the game, which went a long way towards preserving my old-fasioned bullets, which I needed for the end of the game.

3) The Maintenance skill is super important. It allows you to repair the durability of your guns, and I don't think I need to tell you how important that is. You do NOT want to be in the middle of a fight and have your assault rifle jam up and be unable to fix it. The higher the level, the more each Maintenance tool will repair, saving lots of time and money.

4) Hacking = free stuff. It's great to invest in, especially near the start.

5) Make sure you keep your medkits and your HP hypos VERY far away from each other on the inventory screen. I kept them right next to each other and ended up wasting a LOT of medkits healing up minor damage by accident.

With that said, enjoy. It's a fantastic experience.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
It might be an actually hard game. I've only played(as in started up) SS2 once. I got trapped in a room, the entrance I came through was locked and the door in front of me needed to be hacked. My hack skill wasn't high enough to unlock it. Maybe I'll re load and attempt an escape some day.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The games default control scheme is garbage. If you have the GOG copy of the game it has some custom schemes that you can load in the control menu that are more modernised. The game is extremely clunky still, but with a modern layout it's less of chore to work with.

Hacking is a stat one MUST invest in. It has a large affect on the game and it's a core theme to the series.

Research isn't an essential stat for the most part, but there are key points in the story where you need research stats. These points will often throw cybernetic modules at you to upgrade Researcg with... DON'T SPEND THEM ON ANYTHING ELSE! You won't need much anyway to get to the games required stat. However, certain weapons and items require research to use, and some of those items are really potent later in the game. It's worth considering.

Energy weapons and certain "exotic" weapons are only useful against specific targets (and there are 2 exotic weapons that default to harm the user, which is just retarded). Best stick with the good old pistol/assault rifle and shotgun as they are all versatile and useful troughout the game (the Ass Rifle is a beast when modified and you have plenty of ammunition).

The more esoteric a weapons use is, the less use you'll have for it. This is pretty shitty as there are a lot of esoteric weapons.

SEARCH EVERYTHING! Them damn cybernetic modules (akin to ADAM in Bioshock) are scarce enough on higher difficulties.

PSI abilities with the PSI amp is fun, but it's best to go all in or not at all. If you run a PSI build, get yourself enough stats to wield a pistol as, unlike most games, the pistol is quite potent throughout the game, especially if you manage to modify it. If this is your first time playing the game just skip PSI... it's like a built in "hardcore" feature that makes the game extra difficult.

You'll fucking hate ninjas.

You'll fucking hate Engineering (early parts anyway).

If you hear something that sounds like a broken C3-PO, keep the fuck away from it.

My personal preference of play is to join the NAVY, get a wrench and arm myself with a pistol, then pump stats into hacking and cyber affinity as core stats, with Maintenance, Endurance (only 3 pips in Endurance) and Modify as secondary stats but only up to the point where I can max out a weapons Modifications and repair a weapon from a quality of 5 to 10 with one repair module (beyond that is overkill).

Once you modify your weapon, don't dump it, as the upgrades don't carry over to other weapons, even identical ones.

"ARE YOU.... ONE OF US?"

Aw fuck, I guess I'm going to re-install it now too.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Not sure about the hacking being essential posts in here.

I got through without hacking just fine. Ammo conservation is all you need.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You may need to restart a couple times. I found that build optimization was nigh-critical.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
Whenever you're sure that there are no nearby enemies/hazards, it never hurts to study the map. It's useful to remember the quickest routes, in case you need to backtrack for supplies (I remember having to do that a few times to get elements for research). Plus, it always helps to have a planned escape route, in case it hits the fan.

Also, you'll come across clouds of insects as enemies later in the game. If you see them, run.

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
Standard weapons all the way. The other weapon skills take a lot of points to be useful, points that are better spent toward other things like hacking and maintenance.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
- Play in the dark, with headphones. No real reason except for experiencing the amazing sound design.
- The wrench is great in Medical. Use it almost exclusively if you can. Save weapons and ammo for the other decks, you'll need them there.
- "Babies need fresh meat" ... Have your head on a swivel if you hear this.
- Hacking isn't really essential, but it's a damn good idea. Especially if you want to optimise. Also, cameras and turrets are so much easier to deal with.
- Engineering sucks.
- Hydroponics sucks.
- Have fun.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Save regularly, across multiple saves.

Prepare to die.

Prepare to level yourself into a corner and reload from four hours ago.

Prepare to die some more.

Pant and sweat as you run through her corridors, pitiful mass of flesh that you are, you can never compare to the perfect immortal machine

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
Total LOLige said:
It might be an actually hard game. I've only played(as in started up) SS2 once. I got trapped in a room, the entrance I came through was locked and the door in front of me needed to be hacked. My hack skill wasn't high enough to unlock it. Maybe I'll re load and attempt an escape some day.
Or maybe find the passcode :)

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Guy from the 80 said:
Total LOLige said:
Or maybe find the passcode :)
Escape successful, cheers. I'd already found the code but the SS inventory/UI is a bit strange to me. It was in the logs tab labelled "re:Code" ha such a fool.

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
Total LOLige said:
Escape successful, cheers. I'd already found the code but the SS inventory/UI is a bit strange to me. It was in the logs tab labelled "re:Code" ha such a fool.
No pro bro, keep it rad!