Going to the movies alone?

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
Nope, I haven't. But, I wouldn't mind to go alone at all. I'd enjoy the peace, and I'd give my full attention to the movie.

Feb 13, 2010
I used to go on my own a pretty much every week when I was younger but now it would take a hell of a lot to make me go by myself, guess I've become more shamed and self conscious as I've got older. Usually go with just one other person so there's less chance that they'll bug me with inane questions during the movie.

One thing that is pretty annoying though is when you ask someone if they want to see a movie you're psyched about and they say that they're not interested; and then they see it on DVD and think that it was amazing. My case in point is 'Batman Begins', my mate said he wasn't bothered about it at all, and I couldn't find anybody else to go see it so waited 'til it was on DVD. Then my mate it on DVD before I did and thought that it was incredible, riled me up a bit.

Probably the only situation where I'd go see a movie on my own would be if 'Blade Runner' or any film that you have to concentrate on was showing 'cos you can only go with someone else who has seen it, otherwise you'll spend the whole movie explaining it to whomever goes with you.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I tend to avoid cinemas, as I don't want to go alone and look lonely. I'd rather buy the DVD and watch it at home in the dark alone. However, I will go if asked. I tried watching "Gran Torino" in the cinema, but couldn't really focus, because my friends kept whispering to me or eachother, and some of them started to write text messages and the like. I got kinda pissed off because that ruined my experience, but I have learned to live with supressed emotions. As far as they know, nothing bad happened and we all had a pleasureable experience... *cough*

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
I've gone solo a few times, mostly between exams when I already know the material or when I had a ridiculously long break. I don't really go out of my way to go alone though.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Never been to the movies by myself. Its dark in there. And noone will hear your screams....

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
No I don't but sometimes I wish I had 'cause I try to concentrate on the movies I watch to get all of the details. However that's hard when a mate of mine is talking in my ear about some crap I don't cae about and I don't want to be the guy that get's thrown out the cinema for shouting "shut the f**k up"

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I've never gone by myself. Probably because there would be no-one to talk about the movie with post-film.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
When I worked graveyard shift I went to movies alone. Most people are at work during the earliest show.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
to be honest it doesn't seem to matter if you go to the cinema alone or with friends. All you are going to be doing is sitting in silence for a couple of hours anyway, friends or not.

Although I always prefer going with friends.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
CrashBang said:
For some reason I've always seen going to the cinema alone as something kinda lonely, same with going to restaurants alone. They're generally social events[...]
...where you sit in a huge dark room, not talking to anyone for the duration of the movie. I don't think you can compare it to a restaurant.

I only went once to the theatre by myself - but I don't quite mind it. I expect to be going by myself again in August - when Enter the Void hits theatres ;)

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I can't do it, the idea makes me feel like a looser, if it's the choice between waiting for a dvd or going alone I'll wait for the DVD, otherwise I'll look for someone to go with, even someone I don't normally like, a cousin that smells funny, or someone.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I pretty much always go to the cinema by myself and never given it a second thought, if it's bad I haven't wasted their time and I don't need to waste time organising people I just leave and go back home afterwards.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I go alone if I can't find someone to go with. My friends are always working so I usually go by myself. In fact I just walked home from inception that I saw on my own. As a side note, if you go out in the woods now it's pitch black, and super scary, and the theaters is like 37 mins away from your house.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've done it many times, even going to midnight releases on my own. I am a loner and like to meet new people and, even though I hardly ever do, I am happy to be seeing whatever movie it is I am seeing.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I've recently started going to movies alone. I don't really mind much. I make the Facebook announcement that i'm headed out for a movie (about an hour before the screening I want).

Sometimes someone joins me, sometimes no one does. I don't care either way.

Movies I've seen alone:
Robin Hood, The Last Airbender

Movies where people tagged along:
Karate Kid, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I almost always go by myself. Besides, I found a kitten on the way home from Inception today!
Probably can't keep it but still, KITTEN!