Gold Wii Makes Gold PS3s Seem Inexpensive

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gold Wii Makes Gold PS3s Seem Inexpensive

Did you think those $5,000 Gold PS3s were expensive? Think again: For the price of one of these gold-plated Nintendo Wiis, you could buy almost a hundred of its golden PS3 cousins.

Last week, we brought you all news about special customized PS3 Slims that had been coated in gold [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96682-Be-the-Man-With-the-Golden-PS3-for-Just-5000], and which were priced at $4,999 - surely an exorbitant price, we laughed. Who would ever pay $5,000 for a shiny-looking console?

Now, it seems like we've, er, got some perspective on the matter. Liverpudlian (that's "From Liverpool" to us Yanks) Stuart Hughes [http://stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=59] is selling customized Nintendo Wiis which he calls Wii SUPREMEs, and like the PS3 Slims, they're golden... only he's asking a bit more for them. Specifically, his asking price is a not-insignificant £299,995, or $483,981.93 - so for the price of one of these babies, you could get golden PS3s for you and 95 of your friends.

To be fair to Mr. Hughes, though, I'm sure that "2,500 grams of solid 22ct gold" and "78 x 0.25 ct Flawless diamonds which total 19.5 ct" cost a hell of a lot of money, but $500,000 seems a bit steep even when considering the six months' time that apparently went into the creation of these machines.

Only three of the golden Wiis will ever be made, but I wonder if anyone will ever buy a single one - or will they have to wait until Hughes throws in a gold-plated Wiimote to seal the deal?

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5428608/the-most-expensive-wii-in-the-world-is-a-rip-off])

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Damn!

Next up I expect there to be a platinum 360, just cause Microsoft has to improve on everything.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It's just what I have always wanted for my collection of game consoles with ridiculously expensive extras!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
A gold plated Wiimote (of any thickness that wouldn't rub off almost immediately) would probably weigh about 2 pounds. Not the best for long term waggling, I'd guess.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Damn!

Next up I expect there to be a platinum 360, just cause Microsoft has to improve on everything.
Should conduct the heat away better - I'd hate to send in a golden XBox 360 for repairs, heh.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
MetaKnight19 said:
Simalacrum said:
I...I...

[HEADING=2]WHO ACTUALLY BUYS THIS CRAP?![/HEADING]
Someone with more money than sense, most likely.
Or someone who so much money they can afford to show off.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Someone should go the opposite way, and make a brick for the next surprise extravagant console. And since they've already done the PS3 and Wii, that leaves them to make a brick out of the 360!

...[sub]waitaminute[/sub]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
No one is going to buy it. But the funny thing is Nintendo makes more than that every day on regular Wiis.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Oh please.

Seeing as the Wii's sales figures are through the roof, they might as well be made of gold already.

[small]Does it come with a solid gold Wii Sports?[/small]

FISHFINGERS

May 26, 2008
Doug said:
MetaKnight19 said:
Simalacrum said:
I...I...

[HEADING=2]WHO ACTUALLY BUYS THIS CRAP?![/HEADING]
Someone with more money than sense, most likely.
Nobody buys them, things like this almost always end up as display pieces for the company.
They also generate press interest and act as another form of advertising.

Well either that or the Liverpool based company plan on selling them to Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Cilla Black.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
Don't know why anyone would want to spend that amount of money on a shiny paper weight, someone who counts with their fingers I guess.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
A gold plated Wiimote (of any thickness that wouldn't rub off almost immediately) would probably weigh about 2 pounds. Not the best for long term waggling, I'd guess.
Hey, looks like it would bring new meaning to "Wii Fit"

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Doug said:
Yeah... Buying gold Wii, or a Wii or any kind really, to "show off" is a bit like shooting your own knee caps to run faster...

On topic: Biggest, single, waste of money, ever made.

Remove the diamonds, melt the gold, make something that's even mildly useful or interesting to people over the age of 12.

hebdomad

May 21, 2008
Well this beats it. A Gold Ferrari 599.

http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/599-convertible-2009-12-15

I think you would have to be some kind of bond villain to own such a car. (maybe gold finger?)