Golden Dawn Declared Criminal Organization.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
No. Even the European extreme right does not want to be associated with Trump for the most part. He is really unpopular and most of the potential right wing voter base despises hin.
The only thing he has done for pushing extreme-right parties is convincing people that the US is not a reliable ally and prone to bullying which gives some argument to nationalists for showing strength internationally and reducing dependency on other nations, specifically the US.
That doesn't really match up with what I've seen. Around these parts Wilders has often made sure to speak positively whenever he talks about Trump. Our other populist, Baudet goes even further and has become very chummy with the Trump crony that ended up as the Dutch ambassador. Recently there was a bit of controversy about the ambassador arranging a fundraising event for Baudet which is against Dutch law.

As far as I know the German far right seems very satisfied with Trump and Trump's ambassador to Germany forged very strong ties with the German right. In Britain Farage and Trump were known to very a very strong relation with each other.

In their heart none of the European populist are likely to respect him and they are all certainly annoyed he makes them look bad, but their public and professional relations with Trump seems to be quite good.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Whatever. I’m tired of splitting hairs over this shit. Someone else wanna tag in go ahead.
Seems like an issue of semantics and, while some semantic discussions are important, this one absolutely is not.

They did. Hitler's anti-Communist stance got him popularity outside of Germany (not that eugenics and anti-semitism were always unpopular either), he was seen as a useful buffer against Stalin. Then Stalin and Hitler signed a pact (I believe partly because of that) and rocked the boat quite a bit. Later on, of course, the USSR joined the UK and US (and some lesser nations not starting with U) in the fight against Nazism. Lots of swapping sides going on there.
Why does it always seem to get left out that the UK and France signed deals with Hitler before Molotov-Ribbentrop? Even Poland was one of the vultures picking on Czechoslovakia's corpse.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
What are the Implications on the movement from this verdict?
Your opinion on Cretans beating migrants after their hovels burned down? I read somewhere there are metric tons of military hardware stashed in the island.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
In the US context having a literal nazi party sounds insane but gotta remember Greece always had an active communist party too (and from back in the day when I was a kid and didn't even know what they were I remember them getting a good 10% or so of the vote each election) so this is part of what comes with the freedom of the parliamentary system.

So, while they gained power after I was gone already, my impression of those people is that of basically angry rednecks who hate everything and wanna bully their way into success. And when it fails they find a scapegoat. Legit no idea how they managed to become so prominent in more recent years, but I guess austerity does that.

There's just this huge city/village dichotomy, as someone who grew up in the city (suburbs of the capital really) I just don't know what's going on in the heads of the village people.

That was after Kasidiaris attacked another MP on live television.
The best part about this is that the lady in white is the communist leader and in the part after they replay the fight she calls him a fag. But nobody I guess cared to translate that bit XD.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
What are the Implications on the movement from this verdict?
It's no longer a movement, it's a criminal organization. That means it cannot have any official representation, nor any legal membership. As for the general neo-nazi movement, it's gonna go back to infiltrating the other far right "conservative" movements. Probably some hardliner orthodox ones, the church has a long history of going side by side with fascists.

Your opinion on Cretans beating migrants after their hovels burned down?
Could you give a link as to the incident you are referring to specifically? Not that I don't believe you, to make sure I'm not getting anything mixed up.

I read somewhere there are metric tons of military hardware stashed in the island.
Cretans are pretty militant. Traditional Cretan weddings for the past 200 or so years bring rifles and shoot to the sky when the vows are taken. They are one of the few places in Europe where until like 20 years ago generations old vendettas between families ended with bloodshed. As for military equipment, I can't tell you. Gun culture is a lot more relaxed compared to most of Greece, though.

In the US context having a literal nazi party sounds insane but gotta remember Greece always had an active communist party too (and from back in the day when I was a kid and didn't even know what they were I remember them getting a good 10% or so of the vote each election) so this is part of what comes with the freedom of the parliamentary system.

So, while they gained power after I was gone already, my impression of those people is that of basically angry rednecks who hate everything and wanna bully their way into success. And when it fails they find a scapegoat. Legit no idea how they managed to become so prominent in more recent years, but I guess austerity does that.

There's just this huge city/village dichotomy, as someone who grew up in the city (suburbs of the capital really) I just don't know what's going on in the heads of the village people.
If you think the GD getting 10% of the vote is because of ignorant villagers you are so ignorant it is insulting everyone else's intelligence. GD had very strong polls in cities too. Fun fact, they scored the highest in the northern and eastern suburbs of Athens, polling between 15-30% of the vote.

And they were anything but rednecks. Half the leaders owned businesses and had higher education. They had a strong voter presence even in the middle class. Liberals in their enlightened centrism defended their right of representation while GD was killing people in the streets, because none of that happened in their well-off suburbs and were perfectly fine closing their eyes to the brutality. I've lived through this shit, you just observed it.

The best part about this is that the lady in white is the communist leader and in the part after they replay the fight she calls him a fag. But nobody I guess cared to translate that bit XD.
No, she didn't. She said "Οι πουστιες δεν θα περασουν". Though "πουστιες" comes from "πουστης" which can mean fag and in most cases does, "πουστια" is a general term for slimy and shitty behaviour. She literally said "This shit won't pass". You have to reach to think she was calling him a fag.

Last edited: