Blood Brain Barrier said:
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
AntiChrist said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Oh the irony. Amnesia dev tells later creator of Gone Home they cant make a game on their engine, then gets ChineseRoom to make a game for them on their engine. Two absolutely awful developers wanted what Frictional had, and both continued being awful afterwards.
Just because you didn't like the creations of The Chinese Room and Fullbright doesn't mean they're bad developers. Besides, I don't think either of them wanted "what Frictional had", if you're referring to Frictional's success. They just wanted to use the engine.
Yeah, because to be a bad developer, you need to make a bad game first. So I guess only Chinese Room is a bad developer, since Amnesia A Machine for Pigs could be classified as a game.
If Gone Home isn't a game, then what is it?
A gameplay must have something to overcome and some kind of failure state, even if its super minor. If its not that, its basically a 3D museum.
There is a failure state - failing to find out what happened to your family. That's not even a minor failure state, and it's what makes the game so intriguing. At least more intriguing than it would be if the failure state was being eaten by a monster roaming around the house. But screw realism and real-life situations, right?
You cant 'fail' finding out what happened to your family unless you get sick of playing the game.
And what's wrong with that? Put yourself in the protagonist's position. She wants to know what happened to her family. She can either do so, exploring the house and finding all the clues, or give up. True, finding the clues isn't very hard but you still have to put in the effort to do it. You're suggesting we fill the house with traps and monsters to make it artificially harder.

The power here is in the story and what's left unsaid, and I rarely say that about any game as I prefer maintaining momentum through challenge not story.
If the only failure state is trigger by me stopping the game that does not make it a game else every movie or show ever made is technically a game.
Then no game is a game, because when you die you also stop the game. When you don't find all the clues and consequently don't solve the mystery, that is failure. When you haven't aligned all the sides of the Rubix cube, you have failed to solve it. It seems some people will always need a giant "You Have Failed" screen or permadeath to understand this.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Amphoteric said:
AntiChrist said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Oh the irony. Amnesia dev tells later creator of Gone Home they cant make a game on their engine, then gets ChineseRoom to make a game for them on their engine. Two absolutely awful developers wanted what Frictional had, and both continued being awful afterwards.
Just because you didn't like the creations of The Chinese Room and Fullbright doesn't mean they're bad developers. Besides, I don't think either of them wanted "what Frictional had", if you're referring to Frictional's success. They just wanted to use the engine.
Yeah, because to be a bad developer, you need to make a bad game first. So I guess only Chinese Room is a bad developer, since Amnesia A Machine for Pigs could be classified as a game.
A gameplay must have something to overcome and some kind of failure state, even if its super minor. If its not that, its basically a 3D museum.
There is a failure state - failing to find out what happened to your family. That's not even a minor failure state, and it's what makes the game so intriguing. At least more intriguing than it would be if the failure state was being eaten by a monster roaming around the house. But screw realism and real-life situations, right?
You cant 'fail' finding out what happened to your family unless you get sick of playing the game.
And what's wrong with that? Put yourself in the protagonist's position. She wants to know what happened to her family. She can either do so, exploring the house and finding all the clues, or give up. True, finding the clues isn't very hard but you still have to put in the effort to do it. You're suggesting we fill the house with traps and monsters to make it artificially harder.

The power here is in the story and what's left unsaid, and I rarely say that about any game as I prefer maintaining momentum through challenge not story.
If the only failure state is trigger by me stopping the game that does not make it a game else every movie or show ever made is technically a game.

"video game"

A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device. -Wikipedia

any of various games played using a microcomputer with a keyboard and often joysticks to manipulate changes or respond to the action or questions on the screen. -dictionary.reference.com

a game played by electronically manipulating images displayed on a screen. -oxford dictionary

an electronic game in which players control images on a television or computer screen -merriam-webster
Ok then, according to those dictionary definitions, I am 100% correct. As a DVD has a menu, and you manipulate it and it responds to your actions. It also generates visual feedback depending on what you press. Therefore, Windows Operating System is a video game. THANKS Wikipedia *thumbs up*
Except for that pesky "game" part of those definitions. Reading comprehension ************, do you use it?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, that's very informative!, I like to see the process and ideas behind a game.

I could've sworn that Gone Home was a horror game the first time I saw it, but either way, it looks like an incredibly interesting piece of interactive media.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
[REDACTED said:
]
Amphoteric said:
AntiChrist said:
Proverbial Jon said:

"video game"

A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device. -Wikipedia

any of various games played using a microcomputer with a keyboard and often joysticks to manipulate changes or respond to the action or questions on the screen. -dictionary.reference.com

a game played by electronically manipulating images displayed on a screen. -oxford dictionary

an electronic game in which players control images on a television or computer screen -merriam-webster
Ok then, according to those dictionary definitions, I am 100% correct. As a DVD has a menu, and you manipulate it and it responds to your actions. It also generates visual feedback depending on what you press. Therefore, Windows Operating System is a video game. THANKS Wikipedia *thumbs up*
Except for that pesky "game" part of those definitions. Reading comprehension ************, do you use it?
And therefore I am right once again. Because walking around a house clicking things then getting an audio message does not count as a game, its more akin to a virtual museum.
But then again, on that note. Amnesia isn't a game?
To me personally a virtual museum is a game. That is also the case to many other people. Although you may not think it's a game, these things are part of a new genre just like to some that this recent style of dubstep isn't considered music to many.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Man you are just crazy desperate to create a semi-legitimate reason to keep stuff by thechineseroom and so forth from being viewed as part of your pastime. I think you need to take some time here and decide why it is so important you are disassociated from these games, because it seriously seems like you take them as a threat to your identity.