Good Bad Flicks: Exploring 30 Days of Night

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Exploring 30 Days of Night

Exploring the making of 30 Days of Night.

Watch Video

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
The vampires being feral waas pretty cool, them having their own language for... some reason, made it stupid. why would they speak some other language, if they weren't a true breeding species that has their own culture and barely, if ever, interacts with the rest of the world? and if you get turned into a vampire, how fast do you have to learn it, or was someone off screen translating shit the leader said to the dude who was not a linguistic genius before being turned?

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Rawbeard said:
The vampires being feral waas pretty cool, them having their own language for... some reason, made it stupid. why would they speak some other language, if they weren't a true breeding species that has their own culture and barely, if ever, interacts with the rest of the world? and if you get turned into a vampire, how fast do you have to learn it, or was someone off screen translating shit the leader said to the dude who was not a linguistic genius before being turned?
The lore behind the vampires was that they lived mostly in solidarity way from the humans. They would only drop in from time to time when then needed to feed. They also made sure to rip the head off anyone who they bit so they wouldn't turn.

I haven't read all the books (many of which go back into the past) so I would assume that the language came from the original vampires and the new ones learned it over time, while alone with their breed. They spoke english so I figure it was kind of a second language that they used between each other to coordinate attacks like animals.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Cool reveal about the language/lore, thanks!

I enjoyed this movie back in the day. I got the second one on blu-ray, but have not had the time to watch it yet over the years...
Guess I have to remedy that ;)

P.S.
Just watched Don't Breathe on your recommendation (I think). It was pretty good :)

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I actually didn't mind the second one, but the first one did feel fresh and exciting... as I recall, I was stuck with the Blade sequels (ugh) and Van Helsing (meh) and Underworld (admittedly interesting, but should have stopped there), and totally ready for something better to come along.

Another riveting presentation of GoodBadFlicks!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the movie is indeed interesting, and thanks for clearing up as to why they speak their own language.
has been a while since i have seen it. part 2 was really below average. just simply less enjoyable. it was so clear what is going on after 5 minutes. it felt like a poor rip off from terminator 2.
should watch it again. maybe my wife may enjoy it. i know she has never seen the movie.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Oh hey thanks for the reminder. I liked this movie in the theater and I even own a copy. I'll have to break it out again soon.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, just watched it with my wife and she enjoyed it. despite her shrugging off some gory scenes. lol
but certainly agrees that she rather watches this any time of the day than twilight.

was good watching it again. just as a vampire movie should be before it got overrun by dick sucking vampires.

CarrogsCromFlakes

Dec 29, 2016
Rawbeard said:
The vampires being feral waas pretty cool, them having their own language for... some reason, made it stupid
I agree. This is my only problem with the movie, the made up language was silly and unnecessary. Took away whatever mystique they had and made them laughable with the blood, black eyes and oooh so scary. It was trying way too hard to be scary. The Lost Boys vampires were done far better. The movie is quite enjoyable besides this but it's very hard to ignore and rate the movie highly.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
what I heard about the source material even before I saw the movie makes me think they should have cut those elements that need more explanation like language and culture. I dunno, overall I liked this movie back then, but the vampires irked me, mostly because they are the type I prefer. wonder if I should rewatch it.