Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Demolition Man

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
StreakyMacintosh said:
"Originally the movie was meant to pit action heroes Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal against one another. Both of them declined because neither one of them wanted to play the bad guy."

Wait, what? If they were pitted against each other, one of them would have been the GOOD guy.
Problem wasn't that one of them would be the good guy, the issue was no matter who they chose, they would have to make the other the baddie.

THAT was the problem, seeing how big the egos on both of them are.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
monkeymangler said:
Cheesy Goodness said:
I wasn't that impressed with Demolition Man in the 90s. However, with the growing notoriety of groupthink, safe spaces and Tumblr, I now find it to be a timely movie that luckily predicted a bit of the future.

We currently have a generation of adult children that are easily offended and want to ban everything. You can't help but relate the plot to current events and social media. If you literally plucked a guy from the 90s and transported him to 2016, he would probably do and say certain things that would rub people the wrong way.
We also have a generation of people that entirely overgeneralize everything into hyperbole because their feelings have to be the most important ones. Guess which one annoys me more?
If I annoyed you that much, you were probably the intended target for my critique.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Cheesy Goodness said:
monkeymangler said:
Cheesy Goodness said:
I wasn't that impressed with Demolition Man in the 90s. However, with the growing notoriety of groupthink, safe spaces and Tumblr, I now find it to be a timely movie that luckily predicted a bit of the future.

We currently have a generation of adult children that are easily offended and want to ban everything. You can't help but relate the plot to current events and social media. If you literally plucked a guy from the 90s and transported him to 2016, he would probably do and say certain things that would rub people the wrong way.
We also have a generation of people that entirely overgeneralize everything into hyperbole because their feelings have to be the most important ones. Guess which one annoys me more?
If I annoyed you that much, you were probably the intended target for my critique.
Nah, not offended. Just irritated that people love to make sweeping assumptions about my generation based on the actions of a few idiots. As if your generation was any better.

StreakyMacintosh

Mar 8, 2016
Diablo1099 said:
StreakyMacintosh said:
"Originally the movie was meant to pit action heroes Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal against one another. Both of them declined because neither one of them wanted to play the bad guy."

Wait, what? If they were pitted against each other, one of them would have been the GOOD guy.
Problem wasn't that one of them would be the good guy, the issue was no matter who they chose, they would have to make the other the baddie.

Yes, exactly. There would have only been cause for ONE of them to walk off. No matter who got which role, one would have been happy, and one would have quit. That's why it doesn't makes sense that they BOTH declined.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
StreakyMacintosh said:
Diablo1099 said:
StreakyMacintosh said:

Yes, exactly. There would have only been cause for ONE of them to walk off. No matter who got which role, one would have been happy, and one would have quit. That's why it doesn't makes sense that they BOTH declined.
...Oh yeah...Shit man, sorry >.>
Well, from what I know of both actors, they are both pain in the asses to work with.
I remember hearing Segal randomly punched stunt doubles in the nuts on set for no reason other then to "test" them.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
monkeymangler said:
Nah, not offended. Just irritated that people love to make sweeping assumptions about my generation based on the actions of a few idiots. As if your generation was any better.
I never said we were the beacons of humanity either. You can thank our generation for Limp Bizkit and Pauly Shore. We sucked for entirely different reasons. However, I would gladly take that stuff over millennials being triggered from Caitlyn Jenner jokes. Just sayin'.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Cheesy Goodness said:
monkeymangler said:
I never said we were the beacons of humanity either. You can thank our generation for Limp Bizkit and Pauly Shore. We sucked for entirely different reasons. However, I would gladly take that stuff over millennials being triggered from Caitlyn Jenner jokes. Just sayin'.
1. You got to hide your generation's worst away from the world, in small backwoods towns where they would never bother people. Thanks to the spread of the internet, my generation's worst ignorance is constantly on display. That's the difference between your generation and mine (mind you, I was born in 1986).

2. People being "triggered" is a byproduct of my generation admitting that feelings are natural things, not some weakness to be suppressed like previous generations believed. I'll take that over the old "men don't cry, if you cry you're a f****t". Some people take it too far, but that can be said of everything.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
Filmed on an unfinished highway? Was this the same unfinished highway they filmed Speed on? The dates roughly match and they're both in LA.

GreenSkin99

Sep 13, 2013
monkeymangler said:
Cheesy Goodness said:
monkeymangler said:
1. You got to hide your generation's worst away from the world, in small backwoods towns where they would never bother people. Thanks to the spread of the internet, my generation's worst ignorance is constantly on display. That's the difference between your generation and mine (mind you, I was born in 1986).

2. People being "triggered" is a byproduct of my generation admitting that feelings are natural things, not some weakness to be suppressed like previous generations believed. I'll take that over the old "men don't cry, if you cry you're a f****t". Some people take it too far, but that can be said of everything.
Oh please, spare me. Your "generation" has allowed these false sense of utopian groupthink to mutate into being a bigoted and small minded as any hateful previous generation you despise.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
GreenSkin99 said:
monkeymangler said:
Cheesy Goodness said:
monkeymangler said:

Oh please, spare me. Your "generation" has allowed these false sense of utopian groupthink to mutate into being a bigoted and small minded as any hateful previous generation you despise.
Wow... hyperbole much?

My generation hasn't tried to stop women from voting, beaten and denied service to African-Americans, interned Japanese-Americans illegally, or labelled homosexuality as a mental illness. But no, please, tell me more about how believing the thing that shouldn't be tolerated is intolerance is comparable.