Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Prince of Darkness

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Exploring Prince of Darkness

Exploring the making of Prince of Darkness.

Watch Video

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I wanted to make a joke about how you just ruined the plot to the FNAF Movie.

But now I can't stop thinking of Ray Comfort's "Common Sense".

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
*sigh*
John Carpenter, what happened to you ?
Prince of darkness was a misjudged gem, but I can see no way, to defend something like "Ghosts of Mars".

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Interesting. Spooky and impressive effects. I remember seeing a VHS tape of this in my granddad's house years ago and the cover alone freaked me out.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
100% practical special effects, and 100% more Alice Cooper than most movies... I may need to track down a copy of this...

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Chuppi said:
*sigh*
John Carpenter, what happened to you ?
Prince of darkness was a misjudged gem, but I can see no way, to defend something like "Ghosts of Mars".
Nothing happened to John Carpenter, the industry changed. He was fine making smaller films (comparatively) but the industry was moving towards making nothing but giant tentpole films of the big genres.

Ghosts of Mars had good ideas but was undone but studio involvement. He is a director that really should be given the majority of control (I think his track record speaks for itself) but you had the idiots in charge that thought they knew better than a veteran of the industry that has some of the greatest movies ever made.

Why do you think he retired after Ghosts of Mars? He was sick of the studio nonsense. He wanted to make the movies as he wanted to make them but it was no longer worth it for him if in the end, he wasn't getting his proper say.

He is a director who flourishes when he has control but now we live in an age where even independent films have $10 million dollar budgets and unrealistic expectations.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Maybe someone can Kickstart Carpenter, then, Cecil? ;)
Would cough up a few million bucks probably... ^_^

Thanks again for a good video, still loving your work!!!

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I like the idea that the last "dream" is again a transmission, not a dream, and that they actually changed the original outcome. it just didn't matter, now the Anti-God has a different host, but still crosses over. also the idea that the future is in such a hopeless state they resortet to causality violation to save their asses is creepy. and it didn't work. one of the most unsettling movies I have seen.

[edit]So I just decided to watch the review that put that perspective into words for me. I can't find it at the site I remember. nothing in their forums about it. I am seriously starting to freak out here...

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Aside from critics being bitter that this was an indie film made by someone they never heard of and thus treating it poorly, where is the "Bad" part? This movie was great, and wedged itself into the back of my mind as one of the greats. This movie freaked me out. Not to Phantasm levels, but still.

I generally seen this movie as a standalone, though. I don't get how it relates to "the Thing" and haven't seen the third movie, I think.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah, these executives really have high expectations and have to ruin everyone vision because they dont like the changes.
oh no, he wants to do something different than what we like. we will lose millions. it will flop. better take over control and them him how to do things.

and then they wonder why it keeps failing. they really need a good slap around the head.
this movie is great and have watched several times already. it makes you wonder what is really going on at the end. didnt even know that it was critically bashed. making no sense?? are you kidding me? these guys clearly have no brain and imagination.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Kenjitsuka said:

Thank you! :)

I'd definitely be all over a Carpenter Kickstarter. Give the man 3 million and I'm sure he'd prove he still has it.

Rebel_Raven said:
I generally seen this movie as a standalone, though. I don't get how it relates to "the Thing" and haven't seen the third movie, I think.
All 3 movies in the "Apocalypse trilogy" are standalones. It's just each film deals with the end of the world in a different way.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
CecilT said:
Kenjitsuka said:

Thank you! :)

I'd definitely be all over a Carpenter Kickstarter. Give the man 3 million and I'm sure he'd prove he still has it.

Rebel_Raven said:
All 3 movies in the "Apocalypse trilogy" are standalones. It's just each film deals with the end of the world in a different way.
Makes sense. I guess I'm used to trilogies being related somehow, so I was trying to figure out how it related to The Thing.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
I saw this in the theater as a kid and it rocked my fucking world then and it continues to do so today. I love this fucking movie. They Live is probably Carpenter's last great film, but this is his most underrated/underappreciated film because, as Cecil notes, there's really nothing quite like it. It's an ambitious movie about big ideas and unsettling concepts and religion and science and it's a horror movie that still manages to be scary (!!!!). And that ending....whoa, it's fantastic.

Good video, and great explanation of the film.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
CecilT said:
Nothing happened to John Carpenter, the industry changed. He was fine making smaller films (comparatively) but the industry was moving towards making nothing but giant tentpole films of the big genres.

Ghosts of Mars had good ideas but was undone but studio involvement. He is a director that really should be given the majority of control (I think his track record speaks for itself) but you had the idiots in charge that thought they knew better than a veteran of the industry that has some of the greatest movies ever made.

Why do you think he retired after Ghosts of Mars? He was sick of the studio nonsense. He wanted to make the movies as he wanted to make them but it was no longer worth it for him if in the end, he wasn't getting his proper say.

He is a director who flourishes when he has control but now we live in an age where even independent films have $10 million dollar budgets and unrealistic expectations.
That may be a big part of it, but I?m not sure, if it?s entirely the industry, that?s to blame.
Don?t get me wrong, I loved his movies, with every string of my heart, but the last one I was happy with, was "In the mouth of madness".
"Village of the damned" was mediocre, "Escape from L.A." , "Vampires" and "Ghosts of Mars" where really painfull to watch.
I really couldn?t bring myself, to watch his last movie "The Ward".
I would really love to see a juicy small-budget-shocker from him again.
By the way, the best Carpenter-Movie the Carpenter never made, was last years "It Follows".
It had so much of the atmosphere, that made his classics so great.