Good Bad Flicks: Exploring The Last Dragon

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Exploring The Last Dragon

Exploring the making of The Last Dragon.

Watch Video

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know, I have discovered more movies through this than anything else. It's a shame so many unique and quirky movies have been pretty much lost to time, and this is just another one I'll have to check out. Plus, I doubt it could ever be remade. The whole "black and asian switching" thing would cause a shitstorm of epic proportions if it was done today because no one can ever laugh at themselves or eachother anymore.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hey, just letting you know that I really enjoy your breakdowns of these films. I'm happy to see you doing more than just horror so my areas of appreciation get hit too. Thanks for the good work!

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I remember in one of Jeese Cox'x videos, he starts talking about this movie and "The Glow", least I think he did, I might be wrong.
Still, I really want to see this now, if only to seee how that Black and Asian Switching thing works XD

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
I remember in one of Jeese Cox'x videos, he starts talking about this movie and "The Glow", least I think he did, I might be wrong.
Still, I really want to see this now, if only to seee how that Black and Asian Switching thing works XD
If you've never seen it, and you enjoy 80's camp, done with love, then you will enjoy the movie. I fucking love it. He's right in that it's nearly impossible (I'm sure someone out there doesn't like it at all) to not enjoy this movie. It hits so many Fun Buttons for me. And Sho-Nuff is one of the greatest things to ever grace the silver screen.

It feels like Galaxy Quest in a lot of ways. It isn't above poking fun at the genre it is presenting, but it's doing it from a place of love, not of mockery.

SHO-NUFF!!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Hilariously Cecil, it was actually your review of another movie that got me to see "The Last Dragon".

Back in your youtube days, you reviewed the excellent "Santa's Slay", with Bill Goldberg, and there was one scene where a character had a glow around them, and you played "That Glow" song. I was curious where it came from, found out if was from "The Last Dragon" soundtrack, and then watched it. Glad I did, fantastic movie.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
Oh nice. A good review of what seems like a fun movie that I hadn't heard of, and no real spoilers. Gotta find and watch this movie somehow.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
LysanderNemoinis said:
You know, I have discovered more movies through this than anything else. It's a shame so many unique and quirky movies have been pretty much lost to time, and this is just another one I'll have to check out. Plus, I doubt it could ever be remade. The whole "black and asian switching" thing would cause a shitstorm of epic proportions if it was done today because no one can ever laugh at themselves or eachother anymore.
Thanks! That's one of the main reasons I don't always cover the latest and greatest. Sure, there are still plenty of good movies out there currently, but so many classics are being overlooked its criminal.

Yeah, if they remade this I'm sure the culture swap would just set off all kinds of lunatics.

Lightknight said:
Hey, just letting you know that I really enjoy your breakdowns of these films. I'm happy to see you doing more than just horror so my areas of appreciation get hit too. Thanks for the good work!
Awesome, thanks! Horror is my favorite genre and sometimes I kind of don't realize that I've done too many of them in a row. Trying my best to mix it up a little more frequently. I do have a horror coming next week but beyond that I've got some more Van Damme, some sci-fi and possibly even a musical. :)

Ihateregistering1 said:
Hilariously Cecil, it was actually your review of another movie that got me to see "The Last Dragon".

Back in your youtube days, you reviewed the excellent "Santa's Slay", with Bill Goldberg, and there was one scene where a character had a glow around them, and you played "That Glow" song. I was curious where it came from, found out if was from "The Last Dragon" soundtrack, and then watched it. Glad I did, fantastic movie.
Excellent! Wow, I always like hearing stories like this. I've done so many episodes sometimes I don't even remember the jokes/references and what not I've done. Great to hear that spurred you to check out TLD. ^^

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CecilT said:
Lightknight said:
Awesome, thanks! Horror is my favorite genre and sometimes I kind of don't realize that I've done too many of them in a row. Trying my best to mix it up a little more frequently. I do have a horror coming next week but beyond that I've got some more Van Damme, some sci-fi and possibly even a musical. :)
Oh, it's perfectly fine that horror is your favorite. You do a good job deconstructing those too so it's sometimes fun to get a look into a genre I don't have a personal affinity for. I'm just expressing appreciation for a few every now and then in my favorite genres. Either way, thanks for the quality videos and for taking the time to respond.

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Um, where's the "Bad" part of this "Good, Bad flick"? That there was no sequel?
Where's the bad, Escapist? You promised me bad, and now I learn there's mostly good? "The Room" is a "good bad flick." This just seems like a "good flick."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
CecilT said:
Exploring The Last Dragon

Exploring the making of The Last Dragon.

Watch Video
Thank you so much! I just picked up the 30th Anniversary Edition today! This one of my favorites along with Meteor Man.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Flathole said:
Um, where's the "Bad" part of this "Good, Bad flick"? That there was no sequel?
Where's the bad, Escapist? You promised me bad, and now I learn there's mostly good? "The Room" is a "good bad flick." This just seems like a "good flick."
The general premise of the title is that the movie is traditionally seen as bad but really isn't that bad when reviewed in the right light.

There are a lot of fantastic movies that were panned by critics or the public or both back in their day that actually didn't deserve that reception and perhaps only got the negative response due to bandwagoning or something like that.

That's what these videos are for.

Apr 5, 2008
This is one of my favourite films from my teenage years. I was so glad I was able to pick it up on DVD some time ago since it wasn't easy to find in the VHS/retail store days :) There is something uniquely brilliant about it, where the combination of story, music, characters and martial arts came together to make this fantastic end result.