Good Bad Flicks: Universal Soldier The Return

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Funny thing, I've met Goldberg a couple times and being in the midwest, he really blended in. Heck, he could be my brother except, ya know, bigger. So I didn't recognize him until someone else pointed him out.

It's a rare thing, but occasionally movie franchises do come back from a bad streak. X-Men did, Halloween did, and arguably, so did Highlander. I tried watching the last Unisol movie tho and it seemed Jean Claude got a little full of himself, trying to make it a psychological thriller when it worked best as a Terminator-style action movie with unstoppable cybernetic killing machines.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Remus said:
Funny thing, I've met Goldberg a couple times and being in the midwest, he really blended in. Heck, he could be my brother except, ya know, bigger. So I didn't recognize him until someone else pointed him out.

It's a rare thing, but occasionally movie franchises do come back from a bad streak. X-Men did, Halloween did, and arguably, so did Highlander. I tried watching the last Unisol movie tho and it seemed Jean Claude got a little full of himself, trying to make it a psychological thriller when it worked best as a Terminator-style action movie with unstoppable cybernetic killing machines.
While I'll praise Van Damme and whoever on the writing staff/director doing something different;I was sad that they made his character in to the villain. Scott Adkines did a good job though, and has anyone noticed he seems to be filling in for franchises VD worked on. Hard Target 2 was one of them, being about slightly above average. For me, the only Universal Soldier movies are first one and Regeneration. The Return is entertaining, but doesn't make much sense narrative wise, even by action movie standards. For example, why is Luc Deveraux working for a project ruined his (un)life and the lives of other soldiers and people. It sounds like something he would not want to be apart of. From what i've heard, not even Van Damme liked The Return.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
TheScorpion said:
I guess Cecil's now a JoJo fan, or is just a fan of the meme now.
I was kind of inspired by this year's Desert Bus. They kept doing the "to be continued" and finally someone explained where it came from. I looked it up and thought it was quite funny and decided to incorporate it somewhere if it worked. It just so happened there was a good moment here. I might use it again in the future but sparingly. (no need to drill something into the ground)

Remus said:

Goldberg seems like one of those guys who would stand up by the sheer size of him. Dude's got a neck thicker than my thigh.

CoCage said:
While I'll praise Van Damme and whoever on the writing staff/director doing something different;I was sad that they made his character in to the villain. Scott Adkines did a good job though, and has anyone noticed he seems to be filling in for franchises VD worked on. Hard Target 2 was one of them, being about slightly above average. For me, the only Universal Soldier movies are first one and Regeneration. The Return is entertaining, but doesn't make much sense narrative wise, even by action movie standards. For example, why is Luc Deveraux working for a project ruined his (un)life and the lives of other soldiers and people. It sounds like something he would not want to be apart of. From what i've heard, not even Van Damme liked The Return.
The new Universal Soldiers are a funny thing. Some folks really love them and some are indifferent. I think they are quite good and capture the spirit of the original while taking it in a different direction. Also, Scott Atkins makes just about anything better. The guy would be a mega star if he was around in the 80s-90s action days.

008Zulu said:
That blue haired freak did not die soon enough for my liking.
He was insufferable. Although I think that may have been the point.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
CecilT said:
TheScorpion said:
I was kind of inspired by this year's Desert Bus. They kept doing the "to be continued" and finally someone explained where it came from. I looked it up and thought it was quite funny and decided to incorporate it somewhere if it worked. It just so happened there was a good moment here. I might use it again in the future but sparingly. (no need to drill something into the ground)
Heh, Wasn't aware that was an annual thing, much less that they'd be committed to doing a joke like that. Probably should look more into those streams then.

Though I do hope that leads to you checking out JoJo a bit as the meme did lead to me binging the anime on my spring break earlier this year before Part 4's anime came out and that's what made me into the JoJo fan I am now. Mainly because I remember you did once recommend that anime "Rosario+Vampire"(even if I prefer the manga) though I might've missed a Q&A video or something where you talked about your thoughts on anime and which are your favorites so there's that.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
TheScorpion said:
CecilT said:
TheScorpion said:
Heh, Wasn't aware that was an annual thing, much less that they'd be committed to doing a joke like that. Probably should look more into those streams then.

Though I do hope that leads to you checking out JoJo a bit as the meme did lead to me binging the anime on my spring break earlier this year before Part 4's anime came out and that's what made me into the JoJo fan I am now. Mainly because I remember you did once recommend that anime "Rosario+Vampire"(even if I prefer the manga) though I might've missed a Q&A video or something where you talked about your thoughts on anime and which are your favorites so there's that.
I'd like to check JoJo out but most times now if I watch anime its something I can stream. Its just easier to binge and a lot of anime that I want to see unfortunately is only on DVD or Crunchyroll. (and I really don't want to get another streaming service)

I like anime in general. I kind of look at them like anything, there are going to be some that are for me and some that are not. I've seen lots of the big ones (Akira, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D) and some of the smaller oddball ones like Tokko and Harem ones like Heaven's Lost Property.

I liked Rosario + Vampire so much I did check out the manga. It is similar but differnt and I'm enjoying it.

So I'm not a rabid anime fan but I do enjoy quite a few of them. I'm just not up to date on a lot of the newer big ones. (Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, etc)