Good examples of character personalization

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If you like the Uncharted series, then yes. It's basically just more of the same but shorter and more concentrated. And it has the best climax sequence of the entire series. It doesn't have the more interesting character moments of Uncharted 4, but it has a much snappier pace because of it. It's a pretty fun ride, and next to Uncharted 2 is my favourite one to play in the series.
It’s about the perfect length for these types of games too, which means higher replayability. It also has some of the best platforming and combat set pieces. Considering it’s a discounted stand alone title, it’s well worth it for anyone who enjoys the genre in general.

About the only complaint some people might feel inclined to level at it is it’s pretty much a complete “girl power” kinda game. But then again, so is Tomb Raider.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh that's cool, I'll pick it up if I ever find it for cheap. More concentrated sounds good, I love the gameplay of 4 but hoo boy do you have to do a lot of walking and climbing to get to it.
Good chance to get it this month as any, unless you’re waiting for a monthly PS+ freebie (but that could be who knows how long)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
About the only complaint some people might feel inclined to level at it is it’s pretty much a complete “girl power” kinda game. But then again, so is Tomb Raider.
People would only feel inclined to do so because it stars two women, but there's very little if any of that in the game. A real complaint would be that Chloe and Nadine don't work that well together until in the final third of the game because of *spoiler*, and Chloe's unneccesary daddy issues subplot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A real complaint would be that Chloe and Nadine don't work that well together until in the final third of the game because of *spoiler*, and Chloe's unneccesary daddy issues subplot.
Not to mention we're really not giving a good reason to root or sympathize for Nadine. It sort of predates the problem with Abby. Like I mentioned back in the V1 thread, it should have just been Chloe and Cutter. That would have been more interesting. The only other advantage Lost Legacy has that it's a better Tomb Raider game than the reboot trilogy.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not to mention we're really not giving a good reason to root or sympathize for Nadine. It sort of predates the problem with Abby. Like I mentioned back in the V1 thread, it should have just been Chloe and Cutter. That would have been more interesting. The only other advantage Lost Legacy has that it's a better Tomb Raider game than the reboot trilogy.
I don't know if that would've been more interesting, since they already know eachother and are pretty much pals. The whole set-up with Chloe and Nadine is that they don't know/trust eachother yet, and they don't really get along. This can actually be a very effective character dynamic. I actually like that we have two people from Drake's past - one an ally, the other an enemy - teaming up for a mission. It holds a lot of promise for some very fun and interesting interactions, and in the opening sequence I think it works pretty well. It's after that that I think things kinda collapse between these two, but that might also have to do the free-roam structure of the middle portion of the game, in which many of the areas Nadine isn't even with you and just sits in the car.

The game also doesn't seem to know how to characterize Nadine outside of her villain role. She worked well enough as the secondary villain/muscle in U4, as Uncharted villains go, but as a hero/ally it feels the writers were a bit confused on what to do with her. They gave her this trait where she throws out animal trivia, but it comes across a little forced. Like the coin collecting with Abby in TLoU2.

As for Abby, I think the biggest problem with her is that she's not Ellie. Eventhough Ellie in TLoU2 sucks (writing wise), she's still the character that we have history with. So any character that replaces her within the same game is going to feel like an intruder. There was plenty for me to root for and sympethize with Abby eventually, but because we know we were playing as Ellie, and would likely return to playing as Ellie, Abby just kinda felt like a place holder. Her rushed history and her being the daughter of some npc we didn't give a shit about also didn't help. Had they given Abby a connection to Marlene, her tragic past would've at least had a face and a personality we were familiar with, rather then quickly trying to flesh out that surgeon guy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The game also doesn't seem to know how to characterize Nadine outside of her villain role. She worked well enough as the secondary villain/muscle in U4, as Uncharted villains go, but as a hero/ally it feels the writers were a bit confused on what to do with her. They gave her this trait where she throws out animal trivia, but it comes across a little forced. Like the coin collecting with Abby in TLoU2.
That's part of the main issue. Like I said before, Nadine a precursor to Abby, except the latter is much worse comparison cuz we are just knowing her now. Like I said, I don't like either of them regardless and while it could have been a more interesting setup, I would have not have minded Chloe and Cutter being the main duo for Lost Legacy.

As for Abby, I think the biggest problem with her is that she's not Ellie. Eventhough Ellie in TLoU2 sucks (writing wise), she's still the character that we have history with. So any character that replaces her within the same game is going to feel like an intruder. There was plenty for me to root for and sympethize with Abby eventually, but because we know we were playing as Ellie, and would likely return to playing as Ellie, Abby just kinda felt like a place holder. Her rushed history and her being the daughter of some npc we didn't give a shit about also didn't help. Had they given Abby a connection to Marlene, her tragic past would've at least had a face and a personality we were familiar with, rather then quickly trying to flesh out that surgeon guy.
Ironically, No More Heroes 2 actually already did this setup better. Ecept it was to never play as the villain wanting revenge (kinda). Remember the Pizza Butt side missions from the first game? Where you kill those three top executives that are all bald? Guess what: those were Jasper Batt's (main villain of the second game) father and two brothers. That's right, they pulled a "but for me it was Tuesday" on the player and did it right! Hell, Ninety Nine Nights already did this back in 2006. And that was a freaking Dynasty Warriors clone

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ironically, No More Heroes 2 actually already did this setup better. Accepting it to never play as the villain wanting revenge (kinda). Remember the Pizza Butt side missions from the first game? Where you kill those three top executives that are all bald? Guess what: those were Jasper Batt's (main villain of the second game) father two brothers. That's right, they pulled a "but for me it was Tuesday" on the player and did it right! hell, Ninety Nine Nights already did this back in 2006. And that was a freaking Dynasty Warriors clone
I'm not familiar with those games, but wouldn't character switching be normal in Ninety Nine Nights, it being a Warriors type game?

Another example would be Metal Gear Solid 2, where I also disliked the character switch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not familiar with those games, but wouldn't character switching be normal in Ninety Nine Nights, it being a Warriors type game?

Another example would be Metal Gear Solid 2, where I also disliked the character switch.
I meant in terms of revenge (being the motive) when swapping a character. Not the gotcha moment from metal gear solid 2, though I've never had a problem with Raiden. and if you're not familiar with No More Heroes 1 and 2, I suggest you get on that right now. If you got a switch or a wii, get these games now! No exceptions! They handle themes of revenge way better than last of us part 2. N3 you can skip. I recommend just watching a playthrough on YouTube of all the characters stories. The gameplay aint there obviously. I heard the sequel to N3 is slightly better, but it has really bad checkpoints. But I'm getting off topic. Get NMH now.