Good game, awful ending

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
And for animes?

Death Note
In all honesty there was no good way to end Death Note because of the nature of it. You sympathised with Yagami throughout because moralistically he was doing the right thing but in reality he was killing people. I loved both of the battles between Yagami vs L and Yagami vs N but in the end I think it was ended the best way that it could have given the circumstances.

(and if it really bothers you that Yagami should have won overall then just watch the first 1/2 of the episodes and leave when L is killed)

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Spartan: Total Warrior. One of the greatest overlooked action games ever with an ending from the Atari Era: "Well done, The End." Blech. :(

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Mickey Mouse's Magical quest for the snes.
The game was a great sidescrolling platformer for it's day, tons of fun, but the story wound a being a
"And then he woke up and it was all a dream lazy writing BS. Even as a kid I remember thinking "I could've wrote a better ending than that".

Feb 25, 2009
Far Cry 2. I loved every aspect of that game, but the endings are so depressing that I pretty much never played it again.

Gun also wrapped up a bit too quickly for my taste but it still rocked out loud.

I think the worst offender, however, is P.N.03. Great little arcade-style shooter, but the story (such as it is) is done so badly especially near the end that it made me wonder why they tried to give it much of a story to begin with. Tons of games are fine without them (Painkiller, Burnout, Super smash Bros)

urglen

Nov 23, 2009
Psi-ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy loved the game but hate cliff hanger endings especially when the sequel doesn't get made.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Knights of the Old republic 2 gets an A in this category because the whole game is awesome up until it reaches the end where the rushed developement leaves you wondering where the rest of the ending went.

Shadow Hearts 2 also is a great game until the end, where you get two possible outcomes, neither being anything worthy of the game.

Oblivion and Morrowind were both great to play the games, but really not worth putting the effort in to actually finish the main quests.

As for anime, I would be upset if I didn't mention Beserk as a great anime that had a really aweful ending (because it wasn't actually the ending but a beginning, they just need to continue the storyline).

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Bioshock 1 comes to mind. The game was so awesome and I remeber struggling and dieing over and over again against the Big Daddies, just to go against the final bosses and beat him in 1-2 minutes.

It's not a very wise idea to give the player a lot of money toward the end of the game and then plant a health machine in the same room of the final boss!

Fable 2 as well, a final boss that is so easy, the NPCs will kill him for you.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Assassin's Creed 2 wasn't bad, but terribly mind-fucking.
"OK, we've gone through a whole game involving Assassins, Templars and the like.

Let's throw a race that created humans, a war with them, and some weird crap in the last five minutes just in order to confuse everyone." - Ubisoft
I don't think it's fair to say they just threw it in. Clearly this was the plan all along; the Assassins vs Templars situation provided the introduction of the pieces of eden, then they delved further into the real situation of that whilst the assassins are still having to deal with the Templars.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I wouldn't say I loved Halo 2, but I did greatly enjoy it.. up to the ending. I don't mind cliffhangers as long as there is some sense of closure. Halo 2, quite frankly, didn't really provide any.

metalhead467

Aug 16, 2009
I actually didn't hate Xen nearly as much as everyone else does. It certainly wasn't as good as the rest of the game, but it wasn't all that bad. Just different and unexpected.

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
sephiroth1991 said:
The end of RE5 why would you kill off the only character with personality

Edit: oh wait that wasn't a good game
Har-har! I totaly agree to that. I mean, Chris has the personality of a walking fridge and Shiva... well, face it, she was as token 'black girl' as you can get.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Fable 2 for the most anti-climatic boss ever, but then I remember how the bad the game actually is too. I would say either Fallout 3 or Prototype.

Grab-bag

Dec 13, 2008
Halo 3 and when you do very quest on a bethesda game, especialy oblivion, I mean, caving and treasure hunting is good but when there are no quests to do its boring and if you create a new character, you don't have the love for them like the first one!

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
Oh there's alot of great games with crappy endings, here's some examples:
-Kotor 2. (It's almost like it is no ending at all.)
-Assassins Creed 2 (Just like the first, WTF's going on in the end?)
-Fallout 3 (Although the ending bases itself much on the moralsystem the game puts you through from beginning to end. It just dissapoints compared to the rest of the game.)

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Bioshock 1 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The endings were so bad that they made me hate those games.

guyroxorz

Apr 21, 2009
I hate to be the one that says it but MW2

The story wasn't brilliant but i enjoyed playing the game as much as one can enjoy playing single player in a CoD game but when it came to the ending i just slunped in my chair and siad "what the fuck?" i mean seriously, they might have well ended it with "COMING SOON MODERN WARFARE 3" it just pisses me off when companies realise theyve struck gold and then work a title to death, inevitably the modern warfare series will die out as they start trying to cater the needs of the casual gamers and, without trying to sound like a snobby PC gamer, console gamers. I have yet to find someone who thought that getting rid of dedicated servers was a good idea.