Good games with awful/misleading marketing

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain I guess.

The trailers showed a bunch of scenes that didn't end up in the final game, they also kind of lead us to believe that it was going to show the real ''downfall'' of Big Boss with Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land and what not. Still an amazing game in the end tho.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Another one: Dead Island. Not a particularly good game (I like it, whatever). The trailer made it out to be a drama of immense pathos even though the game's actual story and characters don't have any depth put to them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
To anybody who's played Killer7 and feels like a good laugh, look up the original trailer.
Oh, I have. It's amazing what changes over development time.

Grasshopper went from this:

<spoiler=Rare Beta Killer7 Trailer>
to this:

<spoiler=Killer7 2003 Trailer>
and then finally this:

<spoiler=Killer7 2005 Trailer>
Speaking of Suda, Lily Bergamo. A waste of a great concept for an average Dark Souls clone. I like and respect Suda/Grasshopper, but that moment still pisses me off. Lily Bergamo's case was worse as it never even got a chance to leave the cutting room floor.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
"Makes you cry like an Anime fan on Prom Night"
I understand each of those individual words, and what they represent, but I don't understand the context in which they are used.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
008Zulu said:
tippy2k2 said:
"Makes you cry like an Anime fan on Prom Night"
I understand each of those individual words, and what they represent, but I don't understand the context in which they are used.
I figured everyone on the internet would know by now but for the context...

At approx. 1 min mark

Basically taking a game that had a bunch of problems in Kickstarter that ended up greatly insulting their fanbase.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Spec Ops the Line advertised itself as a generic shooter for the most part, as part of the whole meta element where it was subverting generic shooter cliches, but that might have hurt it in the long run...although it's weird, as this one trailer that had a more honest grip on the game's tone managed to slip through.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
008Zulu said:
tippy2k2 said:
I figured everyone on the internet would know by now but for the context...
Nah I've seen the video, I just don't get what the insult was supposed to be.
Oh, I gotcha.

Basically Anime fans can't get dates because Anime fans are nerds/outcasts/losers/whatever insult you prefer (hence why they're crying on Prom Night, they can't get dates). That's what voiceover guy is implying.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Only one mention of Dead Island in this thread, did everyone forget about that first reveal trailer?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Basically Anime fans can't get dates because Anime fans are nerds/outcasts/losers/whatever insult you prefer (hence why they're crying on Prom Night, they can't get dates).
I see the insult, now. Anime was very popular at my high school, equally so among the girls as much as the boys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RanD00M said:
Only one mention of Dead Island in this thread, did everyone forget about that first reveal trailer?
No, but I never cared much for Dead Island so I didn't bother typing it in. The same thing can be said for Dead Island 2, which still has not been released yet. I bet the trailer won't match what they were going for. Keep in mind, 2 was supposed to be released 2 years ago. I wonder what the hell Deep Silver is doing.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
RanD00M said:
i missed the whole thing and played the game before i watched the trailer and found it a really cool story snippet.. but yeah if you bought the game based on that trailer you have every reason to feel ripped off

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dreiko said:
I remember some ads for Dragon Quest IX that were intended for the female audience presenting the game as though it was a game where you primarily play dress-up like if it was some barbie game when in fact it simply just has lots of equipment and it all is visually different. It wasn't as much bad as it was misleading since the game is a very meaty Jrpg and some of those outfits are legit niche fetish outfits...though poor american girls looking to play a dress-up game wouldn't know that I guess lol.
Only one I ever saw was Seth Green with a warrior at a rave.

OT: I'm kinda cheating since the game isn't out till next week but the reveal trailer for Berserk Warriors.

Anyone who knows about Berserk knows why you don't use this scene as your first impression.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
erttheking said:
Spec Ops the Line advertised itself as a generic shooter for the most part, as part of the whole meta element where it was subverting generic shooter cliches, but that might have hurt it in the long run...although it's weird, as this one trailer that had a more honest grip on the game's tone managed to slip through.

It's really hard to figure out whether Spec Ops marketing was great or terrible, since on one hand the game is all about setting up expectations about the genre and story and then subverting them, but on the other hand the generic macho-shooter marketing might have also set up false expectations and by doing so hurt the games sales. It's weird.

Also that trailer is awesome. Kinda spoilery, but awesome.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Yakuza, dubbed as GTA in Japan. Despite having an all star dub cast it wasnt as auccessful as planned. It was a wonder why Yakuza got a second chance with 5 and 0 as it was a game to combat the drought of good Japanese games

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Earthbound... sold pretty crap in the United States at launch, went on to become one of the most popular not-so-hidden hidden gems that collectors seek out for the system, original copies fetching upwards of $200.

The original marketing campaign actually contained the words "This game stinks"