Good news for Total war Warhammer

TheMigrantSoldier

New member
Nov 12, 2010
439
0
0
Pretty funny, actually. I remember complaining when the announcement hit. Not about the very notion of preorder bonuses but how they did it. In this digital age when you don't need to worry about securing a copy of a game, people should be given valid incentives to preorder (a la Witcher 3's discount) or be given a full week for reviews to come out. Looks like they went with the latter.

Otherwise, it's reasonable that Chaos is a preorder DLC. They went overbudget to make them playable, after all.

PaulH said:
I read about this game... I heard they want to release three full price games to cover additional races. Seriously... fuck these developers. My beloved pre-Failmar Lizardmen.... I want my childhood back.
I'm glad that they're taking their time with each race. Besides, the expansions are standalone. So you can wait until the inevitable New World expansion hits and buy only that.
 

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
3,647
0
0
TheMigrantSoldier said:
I'm glad that they're taking their time with each race. Besides, the expansions are standalone. So you can wait until the inevitable New World expansion hits and buy only that.
I can live with that if that's the case. Bring back nostalgia of effectively losing control of my artillery because the salamander ate all my attending skinks.

Omnomnom.
 

Ftaghn To You Too

New member
Nov 25, 2009
489
0
0
Wait, this is supposed to be a good thing? Are we supposed to thank them for their generosity? No, fuck off, Games Workshop and/or CA. You're still assholes for this. (Games Workshop for many, many reasons). I'm not going to thank you because you decided to only turn the crank of the rack twice rather than three times.

You're locking major factions, like CHAOS, as DLC. I'll have to pay for it, I assume, if I wait a week to hear about any technical issues like the ones that have plagued all of your major releases. You want to release DLC factions? Sure, fine, it's unfortunate but every game seems to need to do that nowadays.

But don't gate fucking Chaos, one of the major powers, arguably THE major power, behind a paywall as a punishment. Don't lock any of the factions out like that. Make the Lizardmen a DLC weeks later, or the Border Princes, or something like that, but don't immediately start flooding your admittedly really fun-looking game with DLC to gouge me. Especially not something as fundamental to the world as Chaos.
 

Ftaghn To You Too

New member
Nov 25, 2009
489
0
0
Gundam GP01 said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Wait, this is supposed to be a good thing? Are we supposed to thank them for their generosity? No, fuck off, Games Workshop and/or CA. You're still assholes for this. (Games Workshop for many, many reasons). I'm not going to thank you because you decided to only turn the crank of the rack twice rather than three times.

You're locking major factions, like CHAOS, as DLC. I'll have to pay for it, I assume, if I wait a week to hear about any technical issues like the ones that have plagued all of your major releases. You want to release DLC factions? Sure, fine, it's unfortunate but every game seems to need to do that nowadays.

But don't gate fucking Chaos, one of the major powers, arguably THE major power, behind a paywall as a punishment. Don't lock any of the factions out like that. Make the Lizardmen a DLC weeks later, or the Border Princes, or something like that, but don't immediately start flooding your admittedly really fun-looking game with DLC to gouge me. Especially not something as fundamental to the world as Chaos.
It used to be just a preorder. Now you get it for free if you buy the game within the first week or so.

Now you can wait for the reviews and community feedback before deciding to buy. That's literally objectively better than what the situation was before.
Two turns of the rack wheel is also objectively better than three. Even if they have improved their business practices, this is still some kinda scummy business. They should not be applauded for backing down from terrible to bad.
 

pookie101

New member
Jul 5, 2015
1,162
0
0
while its good to see them being more reasonable with the dlc i still hate playing horde only factions even if they do look cool
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Err... they didn't really change anything.

Before it was "pay for game at full price before release and get DLC faction".

Now it's "pay for game at full price soon after release when it's still likely to be a buggy mess and get DLC faction".

I'm not personally bothered. I think the chaos faction looked dumb as fuck and it's unlikely I'd play them even if I had them. Also, I think companies have every right to sell their games in whatever bizarre manner they see fit.

However this seems like trying to change nothing while pretending they're doing everyone a solid.
 

tacotrainwreck

New member
Sep 15, 2011
312
0
0
I guess it's a little better in that it gives some time for reviews to go out, but it's still just a shady technique to inflate their first week sales (Pre orders+first week sales=first week sales. Shareholder math). I love total war games and was considering purchasing early, but now I can hold off a bit and see what people think.
 

Politrukk

New member
May 5, 2015
605
0
0
Silverbeard said:
Bombiz said:
So CA have finally caved to complaints about the chaos pre-order DLC. Chaos will still be DLC but now it's free for all first adopters(people who buy the game with in the first week). So what do people on the escapist think an=bout this turn of events? you guys happy with this middle ground CA has found or do you want them to get rid of the whole DLC thing all together?
One week? That's it? What sort of informed opinion are buyers going to form in that much time?
I'm not impressed by this bone CA seems to be throwing people. Put Chaos into the base game, stop being penny pinching idiots we'll all be happy, CA.
People forget about Bretonnia and how that actually makes it even worse.


For those who don't know :

Warhammer Total war will include 3 factions in their basegame : Orcs,Vampires,Dwarfs
It will have 1 pre-order/week-one dlc : Chaos warriors
It will contain the armies of but render unplayable(for the moment): Norsca/Brettonia. (I'm not even sure about Norsca but you do fight in their territory so I can hardly imagine the units won't be there.)
Source: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER#Playable_Races and the youtube playthroughs.

The problem here is there are plenty more factions that could and should be in a Warhammer game and the ones that will appear are going to be sold to you seperately or in expansionpack form.

Now if you didn't have trouble with the Day-one DLC, you might have trouble with the unplayable factions in the base game, if you didn't have trouble with that you might have trouble with the dlc policy, if you didn't have trouble with that you might even find the expansion pack shenanigans odd.

It just stacks up and we don't even know how bug-free the base game is.
 

Maximum Bert

New member
Feb 3, 2013
2,149
0
0
Zhukov said:
Err... they didn't really change anything.

Before it was "pay for game at full price before release and get DLC faction".

Now it's "pay for game at full price soon after release when it's still likely to be a buggy mess and get DLC faction".

I'm not personally bothered. I think the chaos faction looked dumb as fuck and it's unlikely I'd play them even if I had them. Also, I think companies have every right to sell their games in whatever bizarre manner they see fit.

However this seems like trying to change nothing while pretending they're doing everyone a solid.
Its a slight change I agree but it is different with pre order only you are completely blind except for say a few (probably carefully selected) reviews after general release you at least get a chance of a wider opinion even if it is only for a short time.

I agree companies can sell or try to sell games in whatever manner they see fit (as long as it follows proper legal guidelines) consumers can also rightfully tell them to go stuff themselves if they dont agree with what they are proposing.

Agree with you last point in that I feel its mostly a PR stunt.

As for me Chaos is my favourite faction (undivided) and I have wanted a game like this for ages but with these practices and their reputation for many bugs in their games on release coupled with the fact I dislike what GW has done in recent years (ok 10 years) and that I have little time to play games I really dont mind waiting a few years then getting it with all the DLC at a bargain price.
 

Lightspeaker

New member
Dec 31, 2011
934
0
0
Zykon TheLich said:
It's like leaving out the Germans and putting Vichy France in your WW2 game.
It should just be like Hearts of Iron. You get every nation in that game. Literally every nation. You can play as Luxembourg if you really want to (though you'll die almost immediately upon the war starting unless you're really smart about it and know how to game the system). :)


Anyway I've been doing a little more thinking on this and I'm wondering how much they've decided to take their cues from Battlefleet Gothic on this one. That also released with four factions, but 'early adopters' get a fifth for free.

The crucial differences being that firstly the fifth faction isn't a release day DLC (in fact its not coming out until June), so its not a case of "since its clearly ready on release day why on Earth isn't it actually part of the release?", and the 'early adopter' tag in this case covers both preorders and the first two MONTHS after launch. Considerably more time than just the week here.

(Also they've just announced the game has done so well they've been able to start talking to their publisher about future stuff and that happens to include another free DLC faction for early adopters.)
 

Fireaxe

New member
Sep 30, 2013
300
0
0
It's a slight change, and for mine not really a significant one -- they're still demanding people adopt the game before it can get proper reviews to get the DLC free. As a backtrack, it really doesn't do enough to change my previously formed opinion that someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
 

xMisterVx

New member
Apr 29, 2016
7
0
0
Won't that work mostly against them, though? I mean, sure, the media reviews might be good, but if people go to the forums, they're likely to see players crying out for blood at CA for releasing something... technically challenged.
Not that I mind actually... I've always been buying their games and the worse technical issues avoided me. They're good platforms to play with mods, and actually I think this Warhammer series might be way better for them than historical settings, because it's way easier to translate a game world with its distinct rules and factions into a strategy game...

Now I bet they still won't fix pathfinding in sieges, battle AI charging mindlessly and units losing coherency, but it seems to be impossible for them anyway, heh.
 

Spacewolf

New member
May 21, 2008
1,232
0
0
Remember that this isn't actually the full Chaos faction, they've outright said the Chaos faction isn't balanced in Campaign so at the moment they act more like the Mongols or Timurids n RTW1 than a proper faction so I'm not exactly sure how they are supposed to work as a player controlled faction. They even seem to destroy cities completely based on what we've seen so far