Good Old Editorial - Top 10 Favorite Game Covers

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Good Old Editorial - Top 10 Favorite Game Covers

This week we examine some of the coolest looking pieces of video game box art the industry's ever produced.

Read Full Article

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
So some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I've recently picked up some more work which will make it easier to do things like pay bills and save for that pony I'm sure my daughter will be wanting in a few years. The bad part is that, going forward, I'll have less time and won't be able to continue working on Good Old Reviews. This makes me more than a bit sad because I really do enjoy writing this column and there are so many more games that I was looking forward to exploring and discussing with you all. That said, I want to thank everyone who's taken the time to read the reviews and editorials we've published here. It's been a pleasure and I look forward to finding some new excuse in the future to write about retro games again.
Damn shame, I've enjoyed reading these retrospectives a great deal, and this was another great piece.

That said, I congratulate you for finding more work, and wish you success.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Fat_Hippo said:
So some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I've recently picked up some more work which will make it easier to do things like pay bills and save for that pony I'm sure my daughter will be wanting in a few years. The bad part is that, going forward, I'll have less time and won't be able to continue working on Good Old Reviews. This makes me more than a bit sad because I really do enjoy writing this column and there are so many more games that I was looking forward to exploring and discussing with you all. That said, I want to thank everyone who's taken the time to read the reviews and editorials we've published here. It's been a pleasure and I look forward to finding some new excuse in the future to write about retro games again.
Damn shame, I've enjoyed reading these retrospectives a great deal, and this was another great piece.

That said, I congratulate you for finding more work, and wish you success.
Same with me. I don't think I ever commented, but I always enjoyed reading these retro reviews for games I'm too young to have known of when they first came out.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I have to say that Elmore's art is one of the reasons D&D resonated so well with me. Wonderful artist, eye-grabbing and extremely detailed in awesome.
Also I've got to say FF1's box art combined with the free guide that came with Nintendo Power were the two reasons I ended up buying that game. Totally worth it.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I love the PAL region covers of Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening. They're both fairly simple but striking. Weirdly, the US and Japanese covers of Awakening are fairly similar, but the PAL has a better composition in my view, and the US and Japanese cover of Bravely Default is entirely different to the PAL one.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/bravely_default_boxart_europe.jpg
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo3ds/images/a/ac/Fire_Emblem_Awakening_EU_box_art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130421220046

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Pretty much all the SSI Gold Box games had excellent art. I particularly like the cover with Alias and Dragonbait on it. (I'm stunned I still remember not only their character names, but also the plot of that game 25 years later).

Oddly enough, I remember getting really excited over the PC Box art for Might and Magic, even though it's just a part of the map (which btw, was one of the best maps I've ever seen come with a CRPG). To my 12 year old self it just screamed adventure.

LutjaSuki

May 27, 2015
The spectrum used to have some wonderful box art. The very first game I bought (i was about 4-5 :) ) was the hobbit adventure game with a grinning dragon and mounds of gold. Then a couple of years later I came upon the bard's tale. This game had a well drawn picture of a bard sitting in a tavern singing a song. No action or monsters depicted but you know instantly that the bard was singing about dragons, wizards, monsters and everything else that is great :).

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Seeing Faxanadu kicked me right in the nostalgia. I'm getting old.

Shame you won't have time to do any more for this, it's been an enjoyable series. Maybe just buy the daughter a donkey instead of the pony?

Brad Tritone

Jun 24, 2014
I really love this column, and I'm sad to see it go. Any chance you could line up some "guest speakers" to take your place? Or a rotating panel of contributors maybe? Just a thought. Good luck and glad to see you're still around on The E.