Good Old Games Courts Project Eternity on Twitter

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Good Old Games Courts Project Eternity on Twitter

Project Eternity backers will get to choose between a Steam or Good Old Games key upon release.

When one considers how the distribution deals are made between game publishers and retailers, the image that comes to mind is one of corporate executives wearing fine suits, crowded together in a stuffy boardroom. But with the new frontier of self-published, crowd-funded games, how will such deals be made? Project Eternity developer Obsidian Entertainment and affable online retailer Good Old Games seem to have the answer: On Twitter, of course!

With a single wordless tweet, the replied in kind [http://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/248439672034979840], replacing the inquisitive punctuation with an affirmative exclamation point.

And so the deal was sealed, and confirmed by the most recent update to the game's Kickstarter page: Project Eternity is coming to Good Old Games, completely DRM free. When the game is released, all of Eternity's Kickstarter backers will have the choice of receiving a Steam key or a Good Old Games key.

It may very well be that there was more going on behind the scenes, some contract negotiations that were finalized long before this public display. In that case, this would merely be a publicity stunt or - at best - a creative way of announcing it. But there is something almost enchanting about the idea of a strange new world where there are no publishers, games are crowd-funded, and corporate deals are made via Twitter, isn't there?

Source: Twitter: Good Old Games [http://twitter.com/obsidian/]

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Josh is posting news on the Escapist now? Get back to editing Spoiler Warning, you slacker!

Anyway, great news to hear. I'll probably grab the GOG version myself if I have the choice now.

The donations are doing well, up to 1.6 million now.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'll end up getting it on GOG, if only to support GOG's DRM free stance and general kick-ass-ness.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
"Well, in Whoville they say - that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

That's how I feel right now :D

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
What I'd really like to know is how many people will get it on Steam and how many on GOG when it will be released.
That would be interesting to see.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
JoshV said:
With a single wordless tweet, the replied in kind [http://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/248439672034979840], replacing the inquisitive punctuation with an affirmative exclamation point.
If you honestly believe that mate then I've got this Nigerian princess trust fund situation you might be interested in resolving on my behalf.

All I need is your bank account details.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Why would anyone get the Steam version over the GOG version, I mean you can just add the GOG version to Steam if you're that anal.

Anyway having not previously contributed, this makes me want to. Good job Obsidian and GOG!

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Good to hear, though not really surprising.

Then again, are we certain that Obsidian isn't just being attacked by Solid Snake?

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Well for me as a backer it has to be GoG's given the choice. I can only answer for myself but yeah giving GoG's some of the business is good. :)

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
sethisjimmy said:
Why would anyone get the Steam version over the GOG version, I mean you can just add the GOG version to Steam if you're that anal.

Anyway having not previously contributed, this makes me want to. Good job Obsidian and GOG!
I can think of a few reasons. People who play on more than one machine, or that prefer to play on a Mac. Or maybe someone who plays at home on a PC Desktop but wants to continue playing on the go with his/her MacBook. Etc.

It's also quite likely that there'll be a Linux version, and by the time the game is out I think it's likely that there'll be a Linux version of Steam.

Apr 28, 2008
This makes me jump for joy like a little boy.

So happy right now :)

sethisjimmy said:

Because... it's Steam. Steam's been around for a long time, people see it as the standard, and want their games all in one, easy place.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I don't have a Steam account. I don't have a GoG account. I'm suddenly really glad I didn't put money into this.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Think of how much more they could have done with a publisher to distribute it! :(
They probably would have accomplished less. Obsidian is beholden only to their customers now, rather than to an anonymous board of suits.
Formica Archonis said:
I don't have a Steam account. I don't have a GoG account. I'm suddenly really glad I didn't put money into this.
Sounds like you don't play on PC then.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Acrisius said:
Having a GOG account is like having an email account or an Amazon account or whatever. You just log in to make your purchase, download the install. Then you don't have to ever bother with GOG ever again. The game is yours. DRM free, no stupid "client" or program that you need to play it, no hassle. Surely you couldn't have known this when you wrote your post. GOG has no downsides.
I had a pretty good idea, to be honest. Of course, everything I've heard about them is second/third hand, so I wasn't I admit completely sure. Back when they pulled that jerkassy advertising move I decided they could go to Hell, I told them they could go to Hell, and I'm sticking by that. You never have to deal with them again. I just never have to deal with them.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Back when they pulled that jerkassy advertising move I decided they could go to Hell, I told them they could go to Hell, and I'm sticking by that. You never have to deal with them again. I just never have to deal with them.
Not actually sure here. What was the advertising move you're mentioning? (serious question, don't actually know)