Good Old Games Goes New

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Good Old Games Goes New

Good Old Games has some pretty big plans for the future, including the addition of some good "newer" games to its lineup.

We all know by now that Good Old Games, better known these days as GOG.com [http://www.gog.com], is an awesome source of classic, DRM-free videogames, tuned up to run on modern PCs. That sounds pretty PR-ish, but it's true. But next year, the GOG guys are going to start muscling in on more mainstream territory with the addition of some not-quite-so-old releases to its lineup.

"We will be adding newer games into the catalog in 2012," Managing Director Guillaume Rambourg said. "Traditionally, GOG.com has looked for great classics that are three years old or older. We will continue to add classic games, of course, but we are actively working to sign newer titles now."

The new games will come in at a higher price point than the classics GOG currently carries but will still be completely DRM-free and include extra content, like wallpapers, avatars and soundtracks. Rambourg also said that the platform's ongoing success has turned the tables a bit and that publishers are now coming to GOG to ask it to carry their games.

"We want to work closely with ambitious developers and independent publishers who feel a kinship with that 'good old spirit' that GOG.com embodies," he said. "Thanks to the commercial success of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, more and more people realize that our values are universal. They are coming to GOG and asking if we can carry their titles."

40,000 copies of The Witcher 2 sold through GOG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114168-Witcher-2-Sold-Four-Times-Better-on-Steam], a respectable amount although still just a fraction of the 200,000 copies sold through Steam. GOG plans to have more than 400 games in its catalog by the end of 2012.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
As long as the games continue to be DRM free like they say this is great news.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The only problem I can see with this happening is with certain Devs and publishers being all paranoid at the no DRM thing Gog usually has. The fact that Gog is DRM free could severely limit their library.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Agh. This is half bad news. I was using GOG to judge whether the games would run on my laptop...if they start adding newer games, I'll be right back to square one, and I'll actually have to put effort into working out if games will run on my laptop.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Very cool very cool, I like gog, its the only other digital service I use besides steam, plus not having to worry about any drm is always a plus, for now I like steam but I worry about what might happen to it when Gabe Newell retires.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
I love gog I'm always checking their site for games. Like them even better now that I know they listen to their customers.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
....more and more people realize that our values are universal. They are coming to GOG and asking if we can carry their titles."
Im glad to see this but you might want to reign in the fabrication, because surely it is not possible anyone has any logical justification for not wanting to work with steam. I mean steam is our great and glorious benefactor. What possible reason could anyone anywhere ever have for wanting an alternative to it?

In all seriousness.. Good. GOG is arguably the closest application of digital distribution done correctly. If you want to see the difference, just compare the GOG and Steam Terms of service. Wont take long to realize that one is about 4 paragraphs, whereas the other is about 4 pages.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Please tell me they're renaming themselves "GONG".

I'm excited! I really like GOG, and getting newer games DRM free is always a good thing.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
And my love of good old games continues strong. More competition in the digital market is good especially if they're playing the no DRM card. Of course it does mean we won't be seeing EA or Ubisoft titles anytime soon eh

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I dunno that 1/5th is a "tiny fraction", especially compared to the juggernaut that is Steam. I don't use GOG, but more competition in the market (especially from a company with such reasonable policies on DRM) is a good thing.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Andy , be a bit more objective...and honest, the games on GoG are highly tempermental and only half work decently if your willing to drop hardware accel. support, audio on some , put up with random DC's and need to drop the res to the lowest the game allows in others.

I got Dungeon Keeper 1 and it barely runs in software mode and crashes or has audio issues, was looking to pick up DK 2 but the forums are full of complaints about that game, and not a word from GoG about the issues.
Sure many work, or require some tweaking of the Dosbox shell to get to work... but when it doesnt work , GoG is mum about it.

Its a gambling machine, insert your money , pull the handle and hope your game works... if not you lose.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Massive GOG fanboy here!
(I got over 200 Titles in about 2 years! XD)

I think this is great news, though I hope they seperate the "new" titles from the "classic" titles to make navigation and organisation easier.
(The shelf needs an overall overhaul to be honest (with some more personalisation options))

I also hope for more releases per week if they do this (then I won't be tempted to buy every single one that comes out and wait for sales again! XD).

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ouch! Right in the wallet!

I tend to use Steam for games that are unlikely to show up on GoG, so if this cures me of my Steam dependency I'm all for it. I love GoG anyway.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
OverweightWhale said:
Still waiting for System Shock 2...
Unfortunaty it probably isn't going to happen anytime soon..... maybe never.
The System shock trademark is split between EA and an insurance company. EA owns the right to the name, but the insurance company hold the rights to development. My guessing is if you would like to publish it you would need both. So one of the best game series ever will likely never get a sequel or a re-release :,(

Thief 1+2 on the other hand will likely get re-released soon because Eidos owns the rights and are currently developing the fourth one.

EDIT: To top it all the dark engine rights are held by Eidos. Yet another reason why System Shock 2 will most likely never be re-released.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I really, really like the concept of GoG. Sadly, I have yet to buy anything from them. I know they have tons of classics from my youth but something is keeping my from purchasing. It's probably my current load of games I have and still need to play. Perhaps if I get cought up I'll start snagging some. I know the the first two Lands of Lore games and that makes me very happy.